I just got a new replacement storm from Verizon, the one I'm returning has a crap load of dust under the screen. So, I decided to see how scratch resistant the screens really are. I got a pair of scissors and went to town on it.... These screens will not scratch!

Here's a video of my trying to scratch it:

P.S. Now if RIM can figure out how to keep dust out of it we would have it all..lol
    Last edited by wardo5757; 01-27-09 at 10:09 AM.
    01-27-09 10:05 AM
    Oh I haven't seen this done before.... ....

What you gonna do when a someone attacks your phone with a diamond? what then?
    01-27-09 10:09 AM
    LOL... Ok, that sounds like a challenge! I will see if a woman in my office will let me use her ring...lol Then I will post another video.
    01-27-09 10:11 AM
    Well the screen is glass. It's naturally very scratch RESISTANT.... Dig something in there hard enough it will scratch.

I wouldn't recommend using the edge of a diamond ring, that will definitely leave you regretting you did it.

Not to flame but this has been covered/posted at least 482 times alraedy ;-)
    01-27-09 10:12 AM
    Ok, the diamond scratched it a little bit, but not bad at all. Very unlike any other touch screen I've owned in the past.

Here is that video"
    01-27-09 10:24 AM
    But who seriously goes and uses a diamond, knife or scissor in normal use? The purpose of the screen protector (for me at least) is minimize finger prints, easier to get off dust/particles and grime.

The quality of the video makes it even harder to see the actual outcome of it.
    Last edited by y2bandit; 01-27-09 at 10:27 AM.
    01-27-09 10:25 AM
    But who seriously goes and uses a diamond, knife or scissor in normal use? The purpose of the screen protector (for me at least) is minimize finger prints, easier to get off dust/particles and grime.

The quality of the video makes it even harder to see the actual outcome of it.
    Agreed... But still amazing how resistant they are. I have scratched my phones in the past by having keys and phone in the same pocket, then bumping into things are just bending over. I'm glad to know that that wont happen with this phone unless i have a pocket full of diamonds..
    01-27-09 10:30 AM
    i agree with y2bandit .. and a little grain of sand will scratch your screen as well . screen protectors are not a waste of money the help protect the screen more and also makes it easier to clean .
    01-27-09 10:39 AM
    As a beach bum I know what sand can do to phones/screens.

With that said, I'd never take this Michael Strahan gapped phone to the beach ever.
    01-27-09 10:40 AM
    As a beach bum I know what sand can do to phones/screens.

With that said, I'd never take this Michael Strahan gapped phone to the beach ever.
    LOL, for the gap reason I agree totally...
    01-27-09 10:57 AM
    I'm currently doing some research on the Storm because I think I might like to get on in my possesion
    But is there an issue with a lot of dust getting under the screen because ooohhh does that ever make me angry when that happens!
    01-27-09 10:59 AM
    I'm currently doing some research on the Storm because I think I might like to get on in my possesion
    But is there an issue with a lot of dust getting under the screen because ooohhh does that ever make me angry when that happens!
    Mee too, I just got a replacement device because of dust. If dust gets under it again I will get another return, that is a rediculous design flaw. However, the only design flaw I've noticed so far.
    01-27-09 11:02 AM
    put some dirt on a cloth and rub it on the screen to see what happens... this would be very similar to the experience of the phone being in your pocket with dust, dirt, and lint particles rubbing against the screen. you can also try some sand paper which would be similar to dropping the phone face down on the concrete. even though resistant i bet any of the above will result in some unsightly scratches.

btw we've seen the screen scratch test with knives, keys, etc several times already. i guess one more couldn't hurt.
    01-27-09 11:06 AM
    put some dirt on a cloth and rub it on the screen to see what happens... this would be very similar to the experience of the phone being in your pocket with dust, dirt, and lint particles rubbing against the screen. you can also try some sand paper which would be similar to dropping the phone face down on the concrete. even though resistant i bet any of the above will result in some unsightly scratches.

btw we've seen the screen scratch test with knives, keys, etc several times already. i guess one more couldn't hurt.
    I will give those a try this evening, don't think I will find sand paper in my office.
    01-27-09 11:29 AM
    i'm waiting for the "run your Storm over with your car" post
    01-27-09 12:00 PM
    i lost my curves screen protector, and now i have scuffs on it from daily use.
    i damn well will have backups for my storm ready.
    01-27-09 12:54 PM
    what ever happened to the sand paper video clip. today I was like this screen protector sucks ( verizon store bought ). Then I was like I am going to peal this off. Amazing enough to my delight I still had a protective film on the actual screen protector. Man my screen is so clear. But still wondering with all these scratch video around that do you really need these screen protectors?
    02-22-09 02:02 PM
    i agree with y2bandit .. and a little grain of sand will scratch your screen as well . screen protectors are not a waste of money the help protect the screen more and also makes it easier to clean .
    This is good to know. I'm about to hit up some beaches with my storm for the first time. Now I need to get a screen protector, cuz I'm not taking any chances!
    02-22-09 02:08 PM
    Yeah, the Storm screen is pretty scratch resistant, but like others said, the protectors are more for smudge preventing.

Here's another video with some more tests done

02-22-09 03:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD