for sure. Got mine at 7 this morning. Tap on the screen with key or other hard object, compare to iPhone or iPod touch, which *are* glass. This makes me angry, but it's not a deal breaker. Phone crashed several times on first use, battery pull seems to liven things up. Froze playing brick breaker constantly. Keyboard will never be the same as a physical one, but what do you want, a large touch screen on a relatively thin phone? or a geat keyboard on smaller screen phone? You can't have both.

This product is *not* an iPhone killer, but is and will definitely be an iPhone alternative, plus it offers many things an iPhone doesn't.

The plastic screen is better plastic than the curve, probably because it didn't need to have any shape to it, unlike curve and bold et al. But I *will* be looking at having to put a protector on it, which I may have gotten away without having if it was glass, since I'm pretty easy on my phones.

Release catches and little feet on the back are *really* uncomfortable, will be looking at cutting or grinding them off if I do indeed end up keeping this baby.

Battery is near-dead on delivery, will wait for it to reach full charge before assessing os and apps any further.
    --bg

Bob
    11-21-08 10:39 AM
    ...maybe you should say it *feels* like plastic. Because for RIM to say it's manufactured out of one thing and it's not that would be a pretty big deal.
    11-21-08 10:42 AM

Release catches and little feet on the back are *really* uncomfortable, will be looking at cutting or grinding them off if I do indeed end up keeping this baby.
    How on earth do you even feel them when holding it / in your pocket etc?

I think you might be exaggerating that just a tad. I've never noticed them once, and ive been using it every day since last saturday.
    11-21-08 10:48 AM
    actually buddy my 3G is plastic too. or at least it feels like it.
    11-21-08 10:49 AM
    actually buddy my 3G is plastic too. or at least it feels like it.
    Mine feels like plastic too.
    11-21-08 10:51 AM
    How on earth do you even feel them when holding it / in your pocket etc?
    Depends on your favored method of holding your phone. For making phone calls it's fine. When I'm holding it for screen use (apps, internet etc) the little feet are all four in direct contact with my palm. Obviously this will only irritate an undetermined percentage of users who happen to like holding their phone the same way I do.
    11-21-08 10:52 AM
    There are going to be SOOOOOOOmany cry babies today! LOL
    11-21-08 10:54 AM
    Silicon cover takes care of the battery cover problem some of you have been describing.
    11-21-08 10:58 AM
    It's glass.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-08 11:01 AM
    There are going to be SOOOOOOOmany cry babies today! LOL

i agree...
    11-21-08 11:03 AM
    Dumb question but:
    OP, did you peal off the protective clear plastic cover/wrap on the screen?
    11-21-08 11:04 AM
    Dumb question but:
    OP, did you peal off the protective clear plastic cover/wrap on the screen?
    I'm not OP, but I did peel it off. It still FEELS like plastic, but I seriously doubt if it IS plastic. You'd think RIM would know what they put on the Storm and as has been posted many times, they say it is glass.

Personally, I'm more interested in how well it works. I'll be putting a screen protector even if they say its diamond coated. Somehow, I would find a way to scratch it.
    11-21-08 11:26 AM
    feels like glass to me
    11-21-08 11:27 AM
    for sure. Got mine at 7 this morning. Tap on the screen with key or other hard object, compare to iPhone or iPod touch, which *are* glass. This makes me angry, but it's not a deal breaker. Phone crashed several times on first use, battery pull seems to liven things up. Froze playing brick breaker constantly. Keyboard will never be the same as a physical one, but what do you want, a large touch screen on a relatively thin phone? or a geat keyboard on smaller screen phone? You can't have both.

This product is *not* an iPhone killer, but is and will definitely be an iPhone alternative, plus it offers many things an iPhone doesn't.

The plastic screen is better plastic than the curve, probably because it didn't need to have any shape to it, unlike curve and bold et al. But I *will* be looking at having to put a protector on it, which I may have gotten away without having if it was glass, since I'm pretty easy on my phones.

Battery is near-dead on delivery, will wait for it to reach full charge before assessing os and apps any further.
    --bg

Bob
    Um, how did you think the pressure click was going to work with a glass screen? You have to push down on it correct?
    11-21-08 01:09 PM
    and in other news the world is round?
    11-21-08 01:12 PM
    Um, how did you think the pressure click was going to work with a glass screen? You have to push down on it correct?
    Because it doesn't flex like other touchscreens. The entire screen is like one big button and does not deform. The entire screen clicks in.
    11-21-08 01:16 PM
    The whole screen is 1 big fn button., it's framed glass, where the whole things presses down, not just where you push it.
    Also it is heat sensitive, i touched it with a pen and some keys and it didn't highlight until I used my finger.....
    11-21-08 01:22 PM
    Because it doesn't flex like other touchscreens. The entire screen is like one big button and does not deform. The entire screen clicks in.
    Exactly right.. the screen is floating as a whole solid unit on little micro springs. The plastic feels really nice, as plastics go. I'm sure it's some kind of advanced polycarbonate or the like. As the reviewer at BGR (or maybe it was engadget?) said, the actual button is under the center of the screen, and the edges are kind of hard to depress.

--bg
    You would know better than me because I don't have mine yet. I had read others on here describe it as sort of a hard gel pad. I actually expected it to be plastic, and to be honest it's probably better...I know 2 people with shattered iphone screens (and of course no insurance available)
    Look Here.. From another thread on CB...

So would you please confirm the screen really is glass...Dude, that absolutely sux..
    Deff glass
    Whole thread here...
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/wel...d-storm-99060/
    11-21-08 02:59 PM
    Look Here.. From another thread on CB...

Whole thread here...
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/wel...d-storm-99060/

excellent post...End of story...Did you get one today CADD_MAN
    11-21-08 03:01 PM
    excellent post...End of story...Did you get one today CADD_MAN
    Unfortunately I have to wait as work is getting mine and they come via mail. I should have it on Monday, Tuesday the latest. Sucks waiting but hey it's free...
    11-21-08 03:15 PM
    Feels like glass to me but even if it were plastic, I have my GA on the way!~
    11-21-08 03:39 PM
    Negative ghostrider, the screen is glass. Mine did however come with TWO plastic covers, one the obvious one and the other a well-fit screen protector. It took this thread for me to look closer and pull off the screen protector, but I'm positive that it's glass underneath that.
    11-21-08 03:47 PM
    sorry have to agree with OP , there is no way this is glass.... compaired to .. i know i know .. my old phone iphone 3g , there is no way in **** this is glass.. its deff a plastic material
    11-21-08 03:51 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD