Hello everyone

I've had my storm for about a week and a half now and I have a question about the screen clicking.

When the phone is in portrait mode and I'm clicking near the bottom or the top (moreso the top than the bottom), the click isn't as solid as it is towards the middle of the screen. It almost feels as if I'm going to break it if I click any harder. Is this par for the course, or should I see about exchanging my storm?

Thanks for any help!
    02-04-09 03:44 PM
    My screen clicks very uniformly.

If I had to isolate a difference I would say that the VERY top feels a bit more "frail" than the rest of the screen, and the VERY bottom is the "tightest" area- but when typing or using the phone normally, I don't notice it at all- and I only notice these minute differences when I lie the phone on a flat surface and poke it hard in those spots while it's lying there- it's really a non-issue.

If you're very worried, you can replace it and hope you get a newer build. Mine was built in January and the hardware is excellent. I have zero complaints with it. My opinion on this is: if it ain't broke, don't replace it.

You might look into the torx mod or paper mod if you want a more uniform click but don't want to replace the phone.
    02-04-09 04:03 PM
    The paper mod (or felt pad method) actually work quite well, and you then don't have to mess with the screws and risk voiding your warranty (WHICH you can also avoid by being VERY careful with the detection dot on the screw)
    02-04-09 04:07 PM
    I have a similar problem with the bottom part of the screen being too stiff compared to the rest of the screen. The whole scren clicks extremely well and is very responsive compared to my old storm. However, right where the spacebar button lies in portrait mode is stiff beyond belief. The difference between that spot and the other keys make it a bit irritating to type on in portrait mode. My storm was made January 16th in Canada. I'm curious if anyone else has this issue in regards to this batch of phones.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by randallmchoi; 02-04-09 at 05:13 PM.
    02-04-09 05:09 PM
    I have a similar problem with the bottom part of the screen being too stiff compared to the rest of the screen. The whole scren clicks extremely well and is very responsive compared to my old storm. However, right where the spacebar button lies in portrait mode is stiff beyond belief. The difference between that spot and the other keys make it a bit irritating to type on in portrait mode. My storm was made January 16th in Canada. I'm curious if anyone else has this issue in regards to this batch of phones.

I have the exact same problem with my Storm. It was made January 26th in Canada. I'm torn as whether to exchange it or not as this is the first Storm that people can actually understand me when I talk. My previous two (both made in Mexico 01-09-09) had perfect screen clicks but people complained that I sounded muffled. I wonder how many times Verizon will let me swap out?
    02-26-09 11:30 PM
    you only have to spin the exposed screw about half to one whole turn and this will fix your screen click problem....Some storms came with the screws on too tight and do not allow for the corners to click well.
    02-26-09 11:34 PM
    Mine is the same, center bottom in portrait mode is terrible everywhere else is great........
    02-26-09 11:35 PM
    There is a thread that explains this method elaborately, or you can PM me if you need any help. I was in the same situation as you and the screw fix works amazing, your screen will click perfectly once you are done. I would actually not mess around with adding a felt pad or business card to your phone as it adds unneccesary pressure to the device.
    02-26-09 11:35 PM
    you only have to spin the exposed screw about half to one whole turn and this will fix your screen click problem....Some storms came with the screws on too tight and do not allow for the corners to click well.
    I already did that. Originally, the top left corner in portrait mode was totally unresponsive. Adjusted both screws and everywhere is perfect except for the center, bottom in portrait mode. Don't get me wrong, it will click but it really feels substantially stiffer/firmer than the rest of the screen. I guess that it's something I could live with but I would really like to have a Storm that is sound in regards to hardware. I have no doubt that the software will work itself out over time. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
    02-26-09 11:42 PM
    did you tweak the exposed screw only? or did you tweak the screw under the actual Red sticker as well? If you did both you should definetely have a perfect screen click.
    02-26-09 11:45 PM
    I did both in 1/4 turn increments. Does each screw adjust a different part of the screen? That might help me to tweak it a bit more.
    02-26-09 11:49 PM
    did you tweak the exposed screw only? or did you tweak the screw under the actual Red sticker as well? If you did both you should definetely have a perfect screen click.
    02-26-09 11:51 PM
    tweak each one 3/4 spin. and click all over ur screen make sure it feels good. On most of these phones they are on there pretty tight so dont be afraid of turning even one whole spin on each one. Just test it and see whats best for your storm.
    02-26-09 11:56 PM
    There are a few ways of fixing this issue. I did not have a torx screw driver and i didn't have time to pick one up. I tried the credit card and that worked pretty good. The only problem I had was the cover would open from time to time. So now i have a small piece of Velcro (hairy side only) and that worked great. The cover goes on great and the click........WoW.....My click is just like the commercial. I KID YOU NOT!! I've had it this way for about a month and it feels great.
    02-26-09 11:59 PM
    try the screw tweak for better results... and you avoid adding unnecessary pressure to your device =)
    02-27-09 12:09 AM
    tweak each one 3/4 spin. and click all over ur screen make sure it feels good. On most of these phones they are on there pretty tight so dont be afraid of turning even one whole spin on each one. Just test it and see whats best for your storm.
    I'm going to tweak it again to see if I can get the bottom of the screen to loosen up just a bit. Any idea what area of the screen that each screw controls?
    02-27-09 12:14 AM
    i couldnt answer that question in particular because i tweaked both at same time and now have a perfect click so never had a reason to go back and test that. But if you would let us know that would be good.
    02-27-09 12:17 AM
    My screen was pretty good. BUT the screw fix made it better. Just be careful with the sticker.

02-27-09 11:54 AM
    I'm assuming the access to these screws require taking the back off. How many screws are there?
    02-27-09 01:35 PM
    I'm assuming the access to these screws require taking the back off. How many screws are there?
    Go to the link in my sig.
    02-27-09 01:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD