how fishy is this:

i went to go to this....both the screws have been worn out to where i can't get ANY kind of screwdriver to work. I hadn't messed with them before but it looks like someone took a hex wrench to them. and couldn't get the job done......and I just got my replacement, i did that, the screen works beautifully. i mean FLAWLESS after this fix....hmmmm I'm really believing someone screwed with it before I bought it in the store that day...
    It was me, sorry
    12-05-08 06:38 PM
    Worked For Me Thanks!!!!!

I did 1 turn each and it was amazing. Then I started getting stupid about it slightly tweaking each one striving for perfection. When its that much better its hard to tell.

Does the screw effect the side the screw is on? Its hard to tell.
    12-05-08 06:40 PM

I did 1 turn each and it was amazing. Then I started getting stupid about it slightly tweaking each one striving for perfection. When its that much better its hard to tell.

Talk about getting stupid, I used a depth mic, both of my heads are .005 below flush...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-05-08 06:54 PM
    The epiphany that I had with the business card trick -- yea, I just had it again. This torx screw trick outshines the business card trick. My screen has never clicked this well. There is no Storm out there that I have personally tried that clicks this well.

My guess as to what is happening is that the metal plate backing is being pulled towards the battery door cover by the screws. In other words, from the front, the metal plate is concave, which means that you have to press the glass further to make the screen click. The screws are so tight, that the edges of the screen are so close to the screen, that it makes it difficult to register a click.

By unscrewing the screws by one turn, it returns the plate to the regular flat shape, and makes the screen click much more shallow.

The business card mod is outdated. This new fix is 10x better. The OP should be showered with praise. Thank you OP. This is amazing.
    12-05-08 07:11 PM
    Looking at my sticker over the screw, I can see one spot that looks lighter under the sticker...like something was peeled away. Pretty sure it is tamper evident.
    Well, if an inspector was required to look at the "under[side] of the sticker," then that would mean s/he would have to take the sticker off to see it, right? Taking the sticker off would then cause the "tamper evidence" that you speak of.

In other words, tamper proof stickers show signs of tampering on the outside, not the underside.
    12-05-08 07:13 PM
    Well, if an inspector was required to look at the "under[side] of the sticker," then that would mean s/he would have to take the sticker off to see it, right? Taking the sticker off would then cause the "tamper evidence" that you speak of.

In other words, tamper proof stickers show signs of tampering on the outside, not the underside.
    What I mean is looking at the top of the sticker, a section of it is lighter underneath (looking through the top of the sticker)

Looks like part of the sticker is now partially transparent.
    12-05-08 07:23 PM

I was happy that my screen was fixed and I moved on to the offical update through desktop manager. At the end of the update it erroredand seems to have bricked my phone
    12-05-08 07:27 PM
    I would have to say, this thread is quite possibility the best thread in the whole storm forum

I just got a screw driver kit from ace hardware, turned my phone over and loosened each screw about 1/2 to 1 turn. Now the clicking on my screen is amazing!

On a side note, out of curiosity, what would happen if you loosen the screws too much?
    12-05-08 07:59 PM
    Worked for me ... THANKS FOR THE TIP
    12-05-08 08:01 PM
    Will this void your warranty?
    12-05-08 08:13 PM
    I admit that I was a little skeptical at first, but wow! What a difference!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-05-08 08:14 PM
    I would have to say, this thread is quite possibility the best thread in the whole storm forum

I just got a screw driver kit from ace hardware, turned my phone over and loosened each screw about 1/2 to 1 turn. Now the clicking on my screen is amazing!

On a side note, out of curiosity, what would happen if you loosen the screws too much?

The screen would fall off!!!

Actually, I have no idea, I just had to comment
    12-05-08 08:16 PM

Could freeze the clicking. Then you would have to fine tune it to get it clicking again. A good idea would be to just not do it.
    Last edited by Jascias; 12-05-08 at 08:19 PM.
    12-05-08 08:16 PM
    Mods - Please sticky this. This is more important (and more effective) than the business card shim modification.
    12-05-08 08:43 PM
    I loosened mine 1 1/2 turns each, and my screen works amazing now! Really light and responsive clicking and is awesome now. One question though: when i shake the phone with the srews loosened, I hear something rattling. What is this?
    12-05-08 08:48 PM
    I loosened mine 1 1/2 turns each, and my screen works amazing now! Really light and responsive clicking and is awesome now. One question though: when i shake the phone with the srews loosened, I hear something rattling. What is this?
    Hmmmmmmmmm, don't have this problem. Anyone?
    12-05-08 08:49 PM
    I already posted earlier, but I just tested my screen w/o the battery and the cover install and it clicks easily!!! I was never able to do that before. typing is soo much easier. I really do hope RIM and Verizon see this thread and make the proper adjustments and also give the OP something!!! haha!
    12-05-08 08:50 PM
    I heard that before when before I even loosened the screws, but the Noise is ONLY when my batter and cover is off.... when they are on no noise.
    12-05-08 08:51 PM
    This is frickin awesome. I did 3/4 turn on each screw. I bought a Husky 8 in 1 torx set at Home Depot for $5.97 and did it in about 10 minutes max. Nice job OP!
    Last edited by BBLou; 12-05-08 at 09:07 PM.
    12-05-08 08:55 PM
    I already posted earlier, but I just tested my screen w/o the battery and the cover install and it clicks easily!!! I was never able to do that before. typing is soo much easier. I really do hope RIM and Verizon see this thread and make the proper adjustments and also give the OP something!!! haha!
    Hmm..........Maybe Rim will give me a New IPhone...........................NOT!!
    12-05-08 08:58 PM
    Yeah mine is no noise with the cover on too. I figure its a washer in there or something under the screws we loosened. Just an observation!
    12-05-08 08:58 PM
    Yeah mine is no noise with the cover on too. I figure its a washer in there or something under the screws we loosened. Just an observation!
    the ratteling sound is fine, it is the 2 little gold things just next to each screw, they get pushed down when the cover is on and dont rattle any more...

this really needs to be a sticky because people are still calling trying to get replacement phones and this is the only difference between the good and bad clicking screens
    12-05-08 09:03 PM
    Gotta add my amazement to this fix ... I thought it might get a little better than the business card fix ... but the screen feels entirely different. This is what I was hoping the storm would be in terms of typing. The click is natural, noticeable enough to be a confirmation of what I want to do but not so much so that I feel like I just hit the gym and worked out my thumbs. I can breeze through emails, etc in landscape now.

My replacement is still on its way, and I'm gonna keep the better of the two, but I can't believe what a difference this made.
    12-05-08 09:04 PM
    What I mean is looking at the top of the sticker, a section of it is lighter underneath (looking through the top of the sticker)

Looks like part of the sticker is now partially transparent.
    Anyone else having this issue? This might be the first thing I'm gonna do when I receive my storm on monday.
    12-05-08 09:05 PM
    Worked great for me too... Mine was kinda spongy around the A key in landscape...works good now!

Thanks
    12-05-08 09:06 PM
675 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD