I tried it on the replacement unit that I am returning. It did help.

Here is my tip. Hold the Storm in your left hand facing down. Use your left index finger to press on each corner as you loosen and tighten the screw with your right hand. It helped me get it just right.
    12-05-08 08:41 AM
    This thread needs to replace the business card fix sticky. It is hard to believe this is not the solution.

Maybe instead of replacements Verizon should start sending out Torx drivers and instructions
    12-05-08 09:00 AM
    I'm a believer! My storm is now 100% perfect...physically. It took less time to do this fix than it took me to trace my battery on a piece of cardboard and cut it out. Thanks!
    12-05-08 09:04 AM
    This is awesome... thanks for posting. I just happened to have one T6 in the garage from a previous phone that a friend at T-mobile gave me about 7 years.

Never knew it would end up saving me so much trouble!!!
    12-05-08 09:04 AM
    I am, because this fixes the problem the right way.

I have learned that many manufactures release products with over tighten screws. I don't know why. There was a button on my air conditioner that was hard to press. The culprit? A SCREW. To fix this problem all they need to do is change the manufacture process, and loosing the screws to a degree. Problem solve, and no more wasting money on replacments.
    It's true, the specs to tighten the screw is probably set at a certain point, and unfortunately those specs aren't always followed which allows for the discrepancies from phone to phone.
    12-05-08 09:13 AM
    I guess Sears is going to sell alot of Torx Screwdrivers this Christmas.
    12-05-08 09:15 AM
    Can someone post a video of how to do this? I suck at this stuff...
    12-05-08 09:15 AM
    I guess Sears is going to sell alot of Torx Screwdrivers this Christmas.
    Just do it at Sears.
    12-05-08 09:26 AM
    This thread needs to replace the business card fix sticky. It is hard to believe this is not the solution.

Maybe instead of replacements Verizon should start sending out Torx drivers and instructions
    hahahahaahaa
    12-05-08 09:27 AM

Here is my tip. Hold the Storm in your left hand facing down. Use your left index finger to press on each corner as you loosen and tighten the screw with your right hand. It helped me get it just right.
    That won't work for me... I'm left-handed.
    12-05-08 09:28 AM
    this absolutely works! Someone should tell Verizon. Could save everyone a lot of trouble. I have a replacement unit coming, that I would refuse if my current unit didn't also have side piece seperating/bulging away from the metal, right between the volume button and right convenience button. But it would seem there are a lot of replacement units being shipped unnecessarily if the VZ techs were aware of this.
    12-05-08 09:32 AM

That won't work for me... I'm left-handed.
    Modified instructions for MPSmith1:

Hold the Storm in your non-dominant hand facing down. Use your non-dominant index finger to press on each corner as you loosen and tighten the screw with your dominant hand.

12-05-08 09:34 AM
    Is the T6 the same as for replacing the RAM/HDD in MacBooks? I upgraded my memory a while ago, now I just have to find it.
    12-05-08 09:36 AM
    I bet when folk send their units back to Vodafone and they get a replacement with a "new hardware revision" all they have done is loosen the owners old phone's screws and re branded it a newer version
    12-05-08 09:37 AM
    On my Storm it was a T7 that fit the screws. Also, even though the screw depth definitely affects the clicking, I found that my click was best with the screws all the way tightened.
    12-05-08 09:41 AM
    OMG. This is an awesome and simple mod. It look me all of 2 minutes and the screen clicks so much better now. This fix is right up there if not better than the OS update to .75.

Thanks OP.
    12-05-08 09:44 AM
    I work at Home Depot ... i saw this post and went stright to hardware...Fixed my screen problem 100%
    12-05-08 09:58 AM
    Modified instructions for MPSmith1:

Hold the Storm in your non-dominant hand facing down. Use your non-dominant index finger to press on each corner as you loosen and tighten the screw with your dominant hand.

do you have modified instructions in case someone has two non-dominant hands...
    wait...can you use your feet?

that caught me off guard crishchun, LMAO!
    12-05-08 10:02 AM
    If your careful enough, it can be removed and replaced. My sticker looks the same as before I tried this.
    blast that sticker with the hairdryer for a few min and you will be able to remove it really easily.
    12-05-08 10:08 AM
    I tried this last night as it worked great in the beginning I woke up this morning to play with my Storm cause it still excites me and when I tried to press the screen it would not work at all. Scared the **** out of me. So I go back and rip off the stupid warranty sticker and i re-tighten the screws about 1 revolution. I orginally loosened it about 1.5 revolutions. Now that I tightened it a little the screen works again. Not sure what happen but it seems maybe the screen settled or loosened too much with too many revolutions. So do be careful how much you loosen or tighten the screws, it will matter it seems. Otherwise its a good hack. =]
    12-05-08 10:18 AM
    blast that sticker with the hairdryer for a few min and you will be able to remove it really easily.
    It doesn't even need that, the amount of glue on the back is almost nothing. The careful part is just to make sure you get under an edge and not ripping it off. I caught an edge with a safety pin and it didn't even peel off, it slid off!
    12-05-08 10:29 AM
    I tried this last night as it worked great in the beginning I woke up this morning to play with my Storm cause it still excites me and when I tried to press the screen it would not work at all. Scared the **** out of me. So I go back and rip off the stupid warranty sticker and i re-tighten the screws about 1 revolution. I orginally loosened it about 1.5 revolutions. Now that I tightened it a little the screen works again. Not sure what happen but it seems maybe the screen settled or loosened too much with too many revolutions. So do be careful how much you loosen or tighten the screws, it will matter it seems. Otherwise its a good hack. =]
    I did mine just after Jascias (about 8 hours ago) and mine still feels great this morning. Did about 1.5 turns on both.
    12-05-08 10:32 AM
    I think someone verizon posted this idea, so everyone will stop calling for replacements, lol
    12-05-08 10:47 AM
    A T-6 does it. I will have to play around to get it exactly right, but it solves the problem the same as the cards, but I expect less long-term damage to the phone this way. I also tested putting in some card after and the screen wouldn't click at all and the door was very bowed. Not good!
    12-05-08 10:53 AM
    I did the card on the battery 1st then I tried this. The card mod worked great but IMHO the screw trick is better. One thing is the clicking pressure seems to be more even across the screen and the entire screen actually feels like it's easier to push down.That helps a lot with thump fatigue .Thanks to the op. Also I loosened mine 1 turn each.
    12-05-08 11:05 AM
675 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD