It's just too lose, the same thing happened to mine. I just tightened it back some more and rebooted the phone and it went away, i have the screws turned out about 1/2 turn each. Now if I could just figure out why one part of my screen still doesnt click like the rest... :-(
    Well, at first i did 2 full turns but went back a half turn. So i actually turned them out 1 1/2 turns. Didn't notice the error message at the top until i put the backplate back on. I did a battery pull and the error is gone now. PHEW!
    06-26-09 05:30 PM
    Hi. If your not ever planning to go overseas (or use the storm on another carrier) then there is no point to having the sim card. So if you want you can safely just remove it. This will stop the error message.

It comes out easily with a pencil eraser.
    06-27-09 03:05 AM
    I just bought this phone and it seems like the middle of the screen makes a much bigger click. (in landscape mode)

Is this normal and unchangable, it looks like the makes sense since it pushing down the whole screen no matter what, but right in the middle it pushes down both side instead of 1.
    06-29-09 10:29 PM
    I just loosened my screen by a 1.5 turns and it made all the difference in the world. The sticker comes off and goes back on extremely easy.
    07-01-09 09:45 AM
    I had to get another replacement storm.........this is my third one......whats new right. I did the torx fix on it but the sticker over the screw on this one was a lot tougher to remove and actually tore very easily while I was removing it. I was able to salvage most of the sticker but it's going to be very obvious that it's been tampered with now.

Be extra careful going forward in case they're using a different vendor for those stickers or something has changed cuz it certainly wasn't as easy to do this time as it was the last.
    07-08-09 01:41 PM
    Just want to let everyone know that by loosening the screws too much may give you a SIM card error. I had this error a few days and took it to Verizon. I am going out of the country in a few weeks and I kinda panicked. The tech made me wipe the phone and reinstall the upgrade. (He was very nice but it took 2 hours!) This worked for a day but the error showed up again. So I tightened the screws a little and it worked!
    This error fix is on another CB thread but I just thought that it should be on this one too.
    07-09-09 11:37 AM
    I just bought this phone and it seems like the middle of the screen makes a much bigger click. (in landscape mode)

Is this normal and unchangable, it looks like the makes sense since it pushing down the whole screen no matter what, but right in the middle it pushes down both side instead of 1.
    If you would read the other posts, this is what fixes that issue. Also the business card method. I just used a guitar pick.
    07-09-09 12:29 PM
    Works great on my storm, I love it... Great Information thanks
    07-16-09 02:50 PM
    Can anyone else try this to verify. I don't have that screwdriver.

once againgg.....thank you CRACKBERRY!!!!!!!!.....[=
    07-17-09 01:43 PM
    The tool is a torx 6. I just went to Sears
    and bought one for about $4.00. My bottom right corner never clicked until I loosened the screw under the red sticker.
    One thing to keep in mind is that you can
    not adjust the screws with the cover off to check if you have a fix. You must put the cover back on to check the screen.
    07-18-09 02:30 PM
    whats the reason you guys do the torx fix instead of the business card trick? dont they both achieve the same results?
    07-19-09 10:28 PM
    Worked wonders.. feels like a new phone!!! Thanx once again (used to have the earphone not turning off problem) Crackberry!!!
    07-19-09 11:16 PM
    Did the same thing but got the error message and random reboots. My solution oddly enough came in the seidio innocase II. I guess because its such a tight fitting case it squeezed my phone to perfection. Actually had to tighten screws all the way back up and the screen clicks just as good as when they were 2 turns loose. I highly recommend this case.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-20-09 11:13 AM
    Nice tips here.. but risky though. I prefer the seidio innocase II solution :-)
    07-22-09 09:00 PM
    4th Storm, just turned the screw a tiny tiny bit and it worked like a charm! I'm happy again!!!!
    07-23-09 12:34 PM
    Yup just did it to mine and works great!!!

07-24-09 08:04 PM
    OK so I am not going to read through all 616 posts, but I will leave you all with this...

YES, the Torx (SIZE 6!) works well, but you might have to fine tune the adjustments to get ir right. However... If you have the T6 driver or bit, you might as well go all out and just FIX the actual problem.

I recently ran over my phone... stupid of me, yes, I know. Nonetheless, it happened. Once I received my donor phone for its shell pieces, I went to work at moving over the brain of my original phone, to the body of the new phone. Process is actually very simple, and in doing so, I found out why my phone wasn't clicking well anyhow. On the under-side of the lcd screen is a round pod cast into the alloy plate and 4 small silicone strips, one in each corner. Upon closer inspection, I found that the rubber strips had simply worn down to a point that they weren't stuck tight to the plate any longer. Figuring this was surely the problem, and since I had the phone apart anyhow, I worked at repairing the strips too. This is done simply by adding a very small amount of super glue to the base of the silicone strip and glue them back down. Another option (which I took since I was out of glue) is to just put a small piece of electrical tape over the silicone beads to 1. hold them down, and 2. put more force against the backing plate and evenly distribute the "clicking" force. When I put it all back together, worked like a charm. I even loosened up the T6 screws all around to test my theory and the screen still clicked like a charm.

Would I recommend this procedure for everyone? NO WAY!!!
    Is it simple to do with the right tools and a little patience? YES!!

Start by removing the batt and memory card from the phone. In this area there are 2 screws, one exposed and one under the INTRUSION DETECTION STICKER (I am sorry to report, you are very mistaken to assume this is a liquid indication sticker, of which there are two that I will describe later). To remove the IDS simply slide a razor blade tip or thumbtack/needle under the edge and slowly lift up. Razor blade works the best since it gives you a flat surface to lift against, thereby not tearing the sticker as easily. Once you have those two screws out, gently peel back the lens that is glued down over the camera and flash. There are 2 more screws under here to remove. Be careful not to get any debris on the adhesive of the lens. Once done there, flip the phone over and remove the bottom plastic trim piece by gently prying it away from the buttons anywhere near the middle. Once peeled off there are 2 screws under here as well (these 2 are gold in color). When you have all 6 of the screws out, flip the phone back over again and work the edges of the phone apart so the two shell halves will seperate. Once pulled apart, unplug the antenna connector at the top. It is ok if it spins, it is designed to do so. Simply pry up under the brass tip to remove it. It is not totally necessary to remove the antenna and fully split the phone apart, but it is a little less dangerous for the fragile components to do so. An alternative would be to simply unplug the lcd/touch array and remove it fron the phone once you have the room to do so. Once you have the touch screen removed (or still plugged in and simply flipped over to expose the silicone pieces), you can glue the beads down, or put tape over them... whichever you prefer.
    Assembly is reverse of removal. The whole process took me about 20 minutes. Now that I have done it once, to do it again would take me less than 10. Again, it is an easy process, but not for the weak at heart or those with poor dexterity.

Again, to clarify from the original posts...
    the screw is a TORX size 6, otherwise known as a T6...
    and the sticker covering the screw is in fact an intrusion detection sticker NOT a liquid detection indicator (The two LDI stickers are 1. in the battery compartment on the sidewall, and 2. on the main brain unit right behind where the send button is on the front of the shell) LDI stickers are SOLID WHITE and turn red when exposed to moisture, and the IDS has a white border and white strip in the middle with the rest being red.

Sorry, I don't have any pics to post of the process, but if you have any questions, or get stuck and would like suggestions, feel free to PIN msg me. I don't check my PM messages here often, so you might not get a quick response if you leave one of those.
    07-25-09 11:56 PM
    So what happens if the sticker does get screwed up a little bit? Does that void the warranty or what? My sticker was a pita, and a tiny piece came off when I was removing it.
    Can I just remove it entirely? Its clearly been mess with.
    Last edited by StealthMode; 07-27-09 at 09:12 PM.
    07-27-09 09:09 PM
    Just want to let everyone know that by loosening the screws too much may give you a SIM card error. I had this error a few days and took it to Verizon. I am going out of the country in a few weeks and I kinda panicked. The tech made me wipe the phone and reinstall the upgrade. (He was very nice but it took 2 hours!) This worked for a day but the error showed up again. So I tightened the screws a little and it worked!
    This error fix is on another CB thread but I just thought that it should be on this one too.
    I fix my issue here is how with the SIM Card error
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/sto...ml#post3154756
    07-27-09 09:20 PM
    This DOES work. I bought the Storm months ago for $600 and cried when it stopped working, I just let it sit in a drawer. Finally did some research and I already had the screwdriver from taking a part my Pearl and yes, it's fixed.

This works great and it fixed my screen problem. The red sticker is a water detection sticker and will not void warranty.

1. Need micro TORX (T6) screw driver and small needle.
    2. Open back and you will see a red sticker and directly across from it you will see a silver screw. Under the red sticker is a identical screw. These 2 screws are screwed on too tight.
    3. Using the small needle, you can take off the sticker for replacement later. Unscrew both screws in SMALL INCREMENTS (Don't worry about them being too loose, they will still be tight) Storms are all not the same, so others might take more turns then others. If you find your screen getting stuck/unresponsive then you unscrewed to far. Screw them back and start over.

4. Replace sticker, screen is fixed. Send a Wonka Bar with a Golden Ticket. I accept paypal.

5. I used to have to fix my console gamepads by doing this, so It just popped in my head to try this an it worked.

6. Enjoy your Storm.

Update: Just a FYI. You don't always have to tweek both screws. A coworker of mine (who I just found out had the storm), just received his third replacement do to the clicking issue. Guy was pretty ****. I found that tweeking both screws on his didn't give the same perfect feel as mine. I also found that keeping the screw (the one under the sticker) normal, and only tweeking the other screw work great for his. Now his is the same as mine. But this goes to show that storms all not all alike, and fine tuning is a must. You just got to take your time.
    07-28-09 02:08 AM
    Dime works GREAT!!! Taped it to my battery and worked wonders. I didnt have any issues with my screen but thought I would try it. WOW! big difference. I then tried the T6 screwdriver option b/c I actually had the screwdriver. Works great to!! just dont unscrew it too much.. :-)
    07-28-09 01:17 PM
    My wife bought a used Storm, and I already have one. I couldn't be there when she purchased it (obviously, having one means I know what it feels like) and when she brought it home I was dismayed at the "smushed" corners, the click was a disaster! Found this fix, $9.99 universal torx screwdriver later and 2 full turns on each side, and her click is WAY better than mine! Perfect fix!

If anything, I need to slightly reduce the sensitivity on the screen now.

Thanks guys - this really is super simple and the science of it just makes sense. A good way to know if you need the fix or not, is whether your screen is flush with the physical buttons. If it seems to be sitting lower, your screws are too tight!
    07-30-09 08:09 PM
    i just bought a used storm, hopefully once i get it, i wont have this problem... but if i did, i know where to look.
    08-02-09 06:18 PM
    Lmao hey guys I have the perfect solution for this!

Just take out your battery..put a little folded paper on the metal plate on top of the sticker....put your battery and battery cover on and it should be fine.

Youtube: watch?v=Jdw2tKk4l5I
    08-03-09 05:01 PM
    I'm on my third Storm, and this one is the only one that had the non-clicking issue. I was very sad, as I gave my last Storm to my daughter, and it was perfect. When I talked to Verizon, they wanted to give me a "refurbished" warranty replacement. I'm not too big on that idea, so I tried this fix. I gotta tell you, it works! Thanks Crackberry! I'm a happy Storm owner again!
    08-03-09 10:29 PM
675 ... 2324252627
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD