thanks so much <333 blackberry
    12-25-08 03:36 PM
    rm777, either get the phone exchanged or try this method as it works well
    12-25-08 03:40 PM
    Corners feel just fine. Its the edge of my screen that feels awkward. Especially the space bar in quicktype mode

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-25-08 04:39 PM
    I got my storm for a Christmas present. A few storms I'd seen lately had screens that clicked fine so I was hoping mine would be fine as well. However it didn't click well at the bottom of the screen (in portriat). I loosened the screws one turn each and its great now. I had been paying attention to this thread so I bought the torx just in case. I have to admit thought hat I was a little dissapointed that I had to do this. Really enjoy the phone though.
    12-26-08 01:14 AM
    My bottom left, bottom right, and top right, and middle are all amazing and responsive.. my top left corner seems to tight and doesnt click well.

is there a way to just target that portion?
    12-26-08 02:18 AM
    For some reason, I think the very bottem should somewhat be a little tougher then the rest of the screen because that is where the buttons and more action from the phone itself is. I honestly think this is pure normal.
    12-26-08 10:31 PM
    This worked perfectly....Thank You to whoever's idea this was!!!
    12-27-08 07:59 PM
    I originally tried the card method, worked quite well but the space key area was still relatively stiff (portrait), tried the loosening screw method but did not help much..However, after playing about for an hour, I found out for my problem I tightened the screws full, and put a thin piece of card tucked under the battery connectors - works PERFECT now! ( Remember the card does not cover whole battery area, only thin strip along the top edge under connector) Hope it helps anyone who still has problems affecting only the space key area-bottom of screen
    12-28-08 06:20 PM
    Mostly don't worry about the silly sticker, rip it off and toss it or just move it elsewhere as I did. We're talking about Verizon here, not the Gestapo. Then adjust the screws in small increments until you like the clicking. If you get any messages about Sim card error, just remove and store your Sim card. You only need it if you travel out of the country (regrettably, I don't).

Other option, if you want to invest the time, is to return your phone for another. Personally I prefer to tweak the one I have. Kind of like buying a car that rides too hard because some clown at the factory put 50 psi in the tires. Easier to let a little air out than to start trecking back to the dealer to complain about or exchange your new car.
    12-28-08 07:54 PM
    Are those who are doing this, doing it INSTEAD of with cards or IN ADDITION to the cards?

Mine didn't really have a screen-click problem but, I tired the cards and it made it noticably better.
    Is that you Checo
    12-29-08 08:04 AM
    Just a FYI. You don't always have to tweek both screws. A coworker of mine (who I just found out had the storm), just received his third replacement do to the clicking issue. Guy was pretty ****. I found that tweeking both screws on his didn't give the same perfect feel as mine. I also found that keeping the screw (the one under the sticker) normal, and only tweeking the other screw work great for his. Now his is the same as mine. But this goes to show that storms all not all alike, and fine tuning is a must. You just got to take your time.

I will update the first page with this info.
    Last edited by Jascias; 12-29-08 at 08:21 AM.
    12-29-08 08:19 AM
    Yes. It also changes color when it touches water, so they can tell if it's a hardware malfunction or customer damage. That would determine which warranty covers the malfunction.
    soooo, kinda tore the sticker a very little bit when i pulled it off. Anyway to get/order a replacement through unofficial channels?
    thx
    12-29-08 09:17 AM
    To everyone else with good results, do you think the screen wiggles more? If so, any thoughts on that. I think it does.
    Actually, for whatever reason my screen wiggles less now. No idea why that would happen but I've tried shaking it back and forth and I can't feel it anymore.
    12-29-08 09:34 AM
    What a difference!!!
    I too used the T7. the T6 was a little loose..

Thanks, I had no idea what I was missing!!!
    12-29-08 12:49 PM
    Works Great For Me. Great Tip...Thanks.
    12-29-08 01:17 PM
    Did anyone loosen theirs up and the screen became a non responsive, so far as clicking is concerned. I reutrned the tool to home depot so now i gotta get another one. the phone would stay depressed and there was no clicking action.
    12-29-08 01:18 PM
    Did anyone loosen theirs up and the screen became a non responsive, so far as clicking is concerned. I reutrned the tool to home depot so now i gotta get another one. the phone would stay depressed and there was no clicking action.
    I explained this in the first post. Retighten the screws, and follow the steps.
    Last edited by Jascias; 12-29-08 at 01:49 PM.
    12-29-08 01:46 PM
    Here is my fix for my screen issue. my screen became stiff then stopped clicking.

"http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/ultimate-official-tips-tricks-only-100612/index44.html#post1284268"
    12-29-08 05:35 PM
    What a difference!!!
    I too used the T7. the T6 was a little loose..
    I suspect there's some variation in the size of the screwdrivers, depending on which Torx set you buy. For me, the T7 definitely was too large. Or perhaps different phones are assembled with different screws.

All 3 phones I've adjusted (mine, a coworker's, and a phone belonging to a random commuter sitting next to me on the train ) were T6 screws.
    12-30-08 07:50 AM
    Received my Storm for Christmas. Was version .65 out of the box. Noticed the difficulty clicking the corners, started to sweat....

Upgraded to .75, still no corner clicky. Next I inserted a business card folded in half. This made the click work perfectly, but there was considerable pressure on the battery door. And I didn't feel that this would be good, long term, for the device.

Bought a combination Torx driver at Home Depot for $5. Using T6 bit (T7 was too large), loosened both screws a little at a time, checking the corner clickability with the battery out as I went. Got it feeling pretty good, reinserted battery and battery door. Clicks are perfectly balanced all the way around the screen.

I figure I'm out somewhere between 1/4 and 3/8 turn from stock on both screws. I'm completely satisfied with my phone now. Can't wait to see what improvements come in the next firmware.

Thanks so much for sharing the genius fix.

I guess there's two ways to aim your headlights too; Turn the adjuster screws, or cram some cardboard between the lens and bumper. Glad I tried the Former!
    12-30-08 01:10 PM
    I was seriously just about to go over to the Verizon store and see if I can get a replacement until I came across this post. I just tried the fix and it worked like a charm. Thank you sooo much from saving me the time and aggravation of trying to get a replacement storm!
    12-30-08 03:42 PM
    This works great for me too...thank you Jascias!!!
    01-01-09 09:06 AM
    For anyone who has already done this, have your screens remained the same "perfect" click screen after weeks of doing the fix ?
    After loosening the screws, I fear that they may now keep loosening more on thier own after messing with them ? Anyone ??
    01-01-09 07:37 PM
    For anyone who has already done this, have your screens remained the same "perfect" click screen after weeks of doing the fix ?
    After loosening the screws, I fear that they may now keep loosening more on thier own after messing with them ? Anyone ??
    No change whatsoever on mine and I haven't had to readjust the screws. I don't remember exactly when I changed mine, but it was within a couple of days of when this thread started.
    01-02-09 07:36 AM

Yes, screen has stayed "perfect", no further adjustment necessary, nor any further loosening. Mine has stayed the same. I believe the threads are either coated with a very light thread lock, or are screwed into a plastic/nylon material. Thus they stay where put, and cannot back themselves out.

This backs up the theory that these are actually screen adjustment screws. A floating, clickable screen like this would require some type of adjustability, to account for variation in dimension (within tolerance) of the Storms parts.

Initial assembly notes at the factory may not have required a manual screen clickability test. They probably just screw these down, and move to next phone. That way, some phones are right, some are not. All depends on tolerance stack up, and whether "all the way in" is the right adjustment for that individual phone.

That and the fact that someone posted here that they had a CS tech in a Corporate VZ store adjust these to fix click, tell me that the click problem is one of mal-adjusted screens, not defective phones. Everyone should be trying this fix, or asking CS to do it at a Corporate store.
    01-02-09 09:59 AM
675 ... 1617181920 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD