Wow...
    It took only a minute to do and the difference is amazing!
    My screen clicks perfectly now.
    Nice to know that you can adjust the screen clicks if you want or need to.
    12-05-08 01:28 PM
    Smallest torx bit I had was a T10. Local hardware store had a T7. The T7 was a bit too large. Went to Home Depot and they had
    An eight bit set for $6. The correct but is a T6 (dunno how some of you managed with a T7).

Loosened the screws 1.5 turns and the keyboard is GREAT! The biz card shims worked well, but this worked even better. Besides, I was concerned about the paper shims causing heat fussapation problems with the battery.

OP, thanks for a great suggestion!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I'm sorry... what is "fussapation"? It sounds very scientific. Apparently, the keyboard is working great, but your fingers may need another adjustment with that T6. Just kidding of course!

I can't wait to get home and try this. I have one of the Mexico units that is showing poorly in my Hardware Poll. It will be nice if this fix is better than the business cards.
    12-05-08 01:42 PM
    I'm sorry... what is "fussapation"?
    LOL For some reason, when I view these forums on the Storm, the font is minuscule. So I could barely see what I was typing, and, ya know, the keyboard is SO good now I was practically touch-typing on the suretype keyboard, and didn't notice how badly 'dissipate' got mangled until later.
    12-05-08 01:52 PM
    Jascias,

What does a "micro star screwdriver" look like? Is it similar to the tiny screwdriver that you use to repair eyeglasses?
    Here is what they look like.
    12-05-08 01:57 PM
    Wow, that is awesome. It feels very different. So much better.

Nice find!
    12-05-08 02:08 PM
    This didn't work for me. Everything clicks great except for the very bottom middle (where the space key is in SureType) I just called to Get a replacement sent out

12-05-08 02:16 PM
    I never had a problem with my screen but I tried this and now my screen is easier to click (I dont have to press as hard) typing is so much better now!
    12-05-08 02:37 PM
    wow, I turned it once on mines and my screen clicks 100% difference. I am shocked man. I love this phone!!!!!!!!!!
    12-05-08 02:57 PM

To the OP:

BRILLIANT!
    12-05-08 04:27 PM
    the best part is going to be after these first batches are corrected and the new ones are shipped without this issue, is that the storm will be the best phone out.
    12-05-08 04:32 PM
    I showed a coworker the trick today, had him type with his and then mine. He said he didn't feel a difference. So I tried his and it did feel just like mine. Looks like he got one of the 'good' ones out of the box.
    12-05-08 04:38 PM
    Worked great for me!

12-05-08 04:42 PM
    how fishy is this:

i went to go to this....both the screws have been worn out to where i can't get ANY kind of screwdriver to work. I hadn't messed with them before but it looks like someone took a hex wrench to them. and couldn't get the job done......and I just got my replacement, i did that, the screen works beautifully. i mean FLAWLESS after this fix....hmmmm I'm really believing someone screwed with it before I bought it in the store that day...
    12-05-08 04:46 PM

To the OP:

BRILLIANT!
    ROFLMAO! Are those guys from VZW and RIM?

Great fix!!!! Has worked great all day.
    12-05-08 04:55 PM
    THANKS SO MUCH! Removed my paper from the battery compartment, and did this fix, and all is well now!!!
    12-05-08 04:57 PM
    I'd like to give a big thank you to the OP! I went 1.5 turns out on both screws and the screen clicks brilliantly! Looks like RIM should start putting in smaller screws so the phone can have some play to actually click and rebound.

I do have an issue with the lag on the accelerometer and camera. I already have a replacement on the way since I didn't know about this mod beforehand. But if that isn't better, I'll just keep my original and send back my replacement. This is such a great community!
    12-05-08 05:06 PM
    Update: after using my Storm for a while after this fix it got even better. I was having problems on the very edge of the lower right corner. No matter how hard I pushed, no click. After using it for 10 or so minutes, it actually started to work in that corner too. That was the only complaint that I had with this phone.

Thanks for the fix OP, you made a great phone even better.
    12-05-08 05:11 PM
    Went out and bought a Torx T6 screwdriver. Fit perfect.

Came home, tried to loosen the screws, and it worked at first sight. I tried it out, the screen clicked perfectly at the top where it hasn't clicked since I got it. Then I put the battery door back on, and now the screen wouldn't click AT ALL. So I tightened it again..back to original problem. Now, I tried to find a happy medium between the two extremes. FINALLY - I managed to find a n amount where the entire screen would click, but to different degrees. Now, the right side of the screen (in portrait) clicks way, way down, and the left side is normal. But, my top part of my screen clicks when it didn't before. Iguess that's better than nothing, eh? Maybe I just need to mess with it some more, because for a moment I did have it working great.

Overall, this seems like the way to go.
    12-05-08 05:40 PM
    worked pretty good, gonna have to see what my replacement looks like
    12-05-08 05:49 PM
    This is the best tip EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111 111111111111111111111111111

I had to tighten mine though. If it is too loose the screen won't click at all. Found the perfect setting after about 5 minutes. Got my T6 universal screwdriver kit at lowes for $12. Great work!
    Last edited by jason1332; 12-05-08 at 05:59 PM.
    12-05-08 05:54 PM
    Now a picture tutorial would be great! regardless to say, this should be a sticky
    12-05-08 05:56 PM
    this thread should be linked to on the first post of the sticky about the paper.

i think this is better than the paper anyways. i am concerned about the paper mod being probleamtic.
    12-05-08 05:59 PM
    Now a picture tutorial would be great! regardless to say, this should be a sticky
    Everything is a sticky...706 stickies.
    12-05-08 06:00 PM
    Looking at my sticker over the screw, I can see one spot that looks lighter under the sticker...like something was peeled away. Pretty sure it is tamper evident.
    12-05-08 06:08 PM
    Great tip! This works perfectly! I was using the paper shim trick which worked good but I was annoyed about needing to do that in order to get my brand new expensive phone to work properly. I was almost ready to return the it for a new one but I'm happy with this solution and will be keeping it now.
    Last edited by collide.six; 12-05-08 at 06:26 PM.
    12-05-08 06:22 PM
675 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD