I had to pull out my TORX kit from storage, but I did this because the corners on my replacement phone were mushy. After a turn on each side, they click like the rest of the phone.

And all I did is circle around the sticker with a pin until it slid under the edge, and it almost popped off after that.
    Last edited by AngelDamien; 12-05-08 at 11:32 AM.
    12-05-08 11:27 AM
    I just did this, to the op awesome, I had .015 shims on the battery and the corners
    Were still a major beeyatch.
    Used a T6 torx bit, backed the screws out until the heads were just below flush in the holes,
    Pulled the shims out and the friggin screen is perfect....
    I was seriously bummin about this, paid to get phantom skinz put on and had no option but to get
    A replacement that might actually be worse...I'm rockin with a good screen and .76 now.
    I'm also thinkin RIM needs some new process engineers and some torque specs
    On their stuff...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-05-08 11:28 AM
    just tried this on a non-clicking storm that i'm returning - it's not nearly as effective as the business card fix (at least on my device)
    ditto........
    12-05-08 11:34 AM
    So when trying to take the sticker off, a piece of it broke off. Just a tiny little sliver but still. Now I am paranoid what will happen if I need a replacement.

12-05-08 11:49 AM
    If a LITTLE piece gets ripped off...you can simply say you scratched it while putting the battery bacc into the phone..?
    12-05-08 12:00 PM
    Used a T-7 because OSH didn't have anything smaller. It worked great. Better then the 'business card' trick.
    12-05-08 12:05 PM
    If a LITTLE piece gets ripped off...you can simply say you scratched it while putting the battery bacc into the phone..?
    That is what I am thinking. I barely touched it and it broke off. I would throw a fit if this caused problems

12-05-08 12:16 PM
    Nice find OP!

I'll will try this right when I get home from school.
    12-05-08 12:20 PM
    worked for me, but my screen was pretty close to perfect before I started. Now it is perfect. Thanks!
    12-05-08 12:22 PM
    Ditto works great for me too!
    I was under the impression that screws on devices like this have some sort of paint or glue that indicates that it has been unscrewed. Am I completely mistaken?

In other words, I thought there is a way for the manufacturer to know if you've unscrewed a screw, without the use of these stickers and such.
    I was under the impression that screws on devices like this have some sort of paint or glue that indicates that it has been unscrewed. Am I completely mistaken?

In other words, I thought there is a way for the manufacturer to know if you've unscrewed a screw, without the use of these stickers and such.

Not on these screws.. they really aren't torqued to start with as it seems like a floating
    adjusment, so there is no "tamper proof"...
    12-05-08 12:29 PM
    OP great work! Mine doesn't really have an issue but it can be better, so I will be giving this a try tonight. This certainly seems to be the cause of why so many are having issues and some aren't.
    12-05-08 12:35 PM
    this completely explains why the clicking issues are so random, and vary so much phone to phone.

12-05-08 12:36 PM
    Radio Shack will sell the Torx screwdriver too.
    12-05-08 12:39 PM
    Gave mine 1.5 turns and it works much better now!

The sticker was harder for me to get off. I didn't have a pin so I carefully used a small knife. A little messier, but it stayed in one piece.
    12-05-08 12:41 PM

If that was the case you would see this. Sometimes it will be white, blue, or orange and waxy looking blob of goop. Then if you broke this seal, it would be readily apparent. This does not appear to be the case here.
    12-05-08 12:41 PM
    wow this is so sweet im going to get one on the way to work!!!
    12-05-08 12:42 PM
    I guess Sears is going to sell alot of Torx Screwdrivers this Christmas.
    very true...but anybody that had a pearl or a curve prior to this...prolly already has one. I went to Lowes about one year ago and bought one for about 9 bucks and it has T2-T9 all in one set. I used to it take apart my pearl and put new sides and faceplates.

BTW...great fix for the Storm. All went well except when I tried to put my sticker back on...i folded it by accident with my fingernail and when i tried to straighten it...it came apart...lol...no biggie. I'll just switch the stickers if I have to. Great find!
    12-05-08 12:51 PM
    this phone just went to a 10 outta 10 in my book! cant believe thats all it was!
    12-05-08 01:02 PM
    Stop and think a minute folks...do you realize how much money VZW could have saved by NOT sending out replacement phones if they figured this out??? They could have told all those complaining about this problem to just go down to your neighborhood VZW store and in five minutes, they can make an adjustment for you that will solve this problem. Plus they could have saved face on this device. WTF??? How could they not know about this???
    12-05-08 01:08 PM
    Not sure about everyone else, but I gave this a try... The tactile feel of the a, q, and number keys isn't quite the same as pretty much all the other keys... The pitch of the click the screen makes is slightly different... BUT, the screen does seem to respond pretty much the same as it does everywhere else with the same amount of pressure.

That was the one nice thing about the business card trick, is that it gave a consistent feel to all the buttons. At least on my unit. Oh well, this may very well save me from sending mine back for a replacement and letting someone else get their new Storm a little sooner.
    12-05-08 01:12 PM

I would bet these screws are meant to be adjusted/loosened for the very reason that the OP figured out. Too bad the VZN techs haven't been told of the adjustment.
    12-05-08 01:22 PM
    thanks a mil. works great. i was thinking about sending mine in also.
    12-05-08 01:23 PM
    Smallest torx bit I had was a T10. Local hardware store had a T7. The T7 was a bit too large. Went to Home Depot and they had an eight bit set for $6. The correct bit, for my phone anyway, is a T6 (dunno how some of you managed with a T7).

Loosened the screws 1.5 turns and the keyboard is GREAT! The biz card shims worked well, but this worked even better. Besides, I was concerned about the paper shims causing heat dissipation problems with the battery.

OP, thanks for a great suggestion!

Last edited by ag5bpilot; 12-05-08 at 01:47 PM.
    12-05-08 01:25 PM
675 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD