Even if the OP kept it in a side holster, sand would have still gotten into it. Besides, he had it in a leather holster while it was in his pocket.
    I work in a construction type environment and I know better than to not have my phone anywhere near me when I'm in the middle of a job. Regardless, most people that complain about scratched screens are the ones that carry their phones in their pockets. Pumice which is used in stone washing jeans are sometimes found in pockets and can remain there for a while. This WILL scratch any screen.
    02-03-09 01:01 PM
    My little dog jumped up next to me on the couch, stepped on my storm which was about to have a new screen cover installed, and now I have three big gouges. So beware of sand and dog claws.
    02-03-09 03:54 PM
    I betcha on your storm that there is still a protector on there...Mine had three...a flimsy top one...then a hard one...I thought that was all until I noticed a very annoying scratch..I used my fingernails on the side of my screen and lo and behold...another hard stock protector.
    02-03-09 03:57 PM
    BTW, take your pants off the next time you're "laying pipe" and you won't have this problem.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    LOL

Ya your right...... And we all learned from this...... But still when you got a device like the storm you figured you would look into more protection.......
    LOL, so far we have 2 counts of innuendoes in this thread.
    02-03-09 04:15 PM
    Ok, I find this really hard to believe.

DOUBLE CHECK that there is not the factory screen protector on the phone still. This phone is almost impossible to scratch on the screen.
    Lol you're high dude, it's a piece of glass. I run with a nekkid Storm, and have been for a few weeks. It doesn't as easily as an old ****ty plastic screen will, BUT IT'S JUST A PIECE OF GLASS!!! I have a little scratch on mine, and plan on pulling out my insurance number when my phone gets too ugly.
    02-03-09 04:18 PM
    i took a nice to my phone with a click problem.... the first rub across it with a benchmade pocket knife put a scratch across it applying almost zero pressure
    02-03-09 04:32 PM
    Sand is a pretty common substance depending on where you live, and just one grain of sand can cause a person problems with their screen. I would bet that most people would try to wipe a speck of sand off their screen rather than blow it, and this could scratch it fairly easily.

How many people have kids that have a sandbox outside, live next to the ocean, or in naturally sandy soil?

Take this post as intended, a warning against sand coming into contact with your screen.
    02-03-09 04:48 PM
    Just got home from Verizon. I had to file for the Insurance Claim after showing the salesman the damaged screen. I should have the new phone crossing my fingers by the end of the week, if not next Monday.

Thanks for all the people that don't need pictures to prove that the screen does scratch. Just trying to help a lot of you guys out there that are thinking the screen doesn't scratch when in fact they do. I was just trying to warn you. I'm surprised how attacked I got from a lot of you on here for trying to warn you. Next time I'll think twice about about warning others on here or a protential problems.
    02-03-09 04:50 PM
    i only got to page two of this thread and im already so worked up i cant read any further.

sand DOES scratch glass...a whole heck of alot.

and why does every other poster have to bash the poor guy, is it not enough that his phone was messed up, but he comes here to tell his story and warn others, and look at the reception he receives. most of the people are either calling him a liar or implying he is stupid or belittling him for bringing his touch screen phone to work...SO WHAT, is it so wrong to want to have a nice touch screen phone and bring it to your job if you depend on it? everyone slips up, this was hardly intentional and it didnt happen because he is stupid or ignorant in any way...it happened because accidents happen, and because sand scratches everything. and he works around sand. is that so hard to understand? :/

EDIT:

i just read OP's post above mine, yeah i agree with you
    and hope you get your new phone soon, a week seem pretty slow..especially for a blackberry, some peoples whole lives revolve around these things O.O
    02-03-09 04:52 PM
    OMG the ******* came out to play in this thread. Have you people never heard of beach glass? Pieces of glass worn smooth and frosted looking just because it gets swooshed around with sand and waves for a few weeks/months/years.

Sandblasting? Sandpaper?

LOL.

To the OP, I'm glad you were able to get your phone replaced. Don't let your baby go skin-free again! A holster can only do so much

I remember scratching the **** out of my (plastic) phone screen with my earring on an old phone
    02-03-09 06:21 PM
    Glad u getn new phone bud and good lookin out!
    And wow cant believe i read through all this thread but I couldnt stop... it was like science class at the jerry springer show....
    02-03-09 07:19 PM
    it's a phone. if it doesn't have some battle scars over its lifetime, you might be too OCD

Chrome is chipped on mine and the battery cover pock marked from a skid over gravel (yeah, I dropped it). Did I do anything wrong other than use it? No. Did the OP do anything wrong? No.
    02-04-09 12:50 AM
    OK, I got a picture finally.
    I am not sure how it it got there, I do keep it in my pocket most of the time.
    I am not worried, I cant tell the scratch is even there when it's on.

Not a big deal, but for people who don't believe it scratches, it does. My iPhone did the same thing .
    Last edited by Maliberti; 02-04-09 at 01:12 AM.
    02-04-09 01:03 AM
    I'll never understand why people choose to keep their phones in their pockets. That's such a big no no.
    Because holdsters make you look like a complete doucher. That's why.
    02-04-09 01:22 AM
    okay, do this test, take a little sand, rubb it on your screen with your finger, and see the results.

knifes, screw drivers, what ever.. there not as sharp as sand No offence to anyone here, but you people really should know that sand is VERY harsh and will do A LOT more damage then a knife or keys

Interesting.....I have to be on the lookout in case someone wants to stab me with a bag of sand..
    02-04-09 07:45 AM
    I too got sand in my holster, it scratched up my phone a bit but the screen is just as good as ever-- no screen protector.
    02-04-09 08:33 AM
    Want scratch resistant? Get a 100% solid diamond screen and dont carry diamonds in your pocket
    02-04-09 02:00 PM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD