• Me Rocks Google Maps

22 40.74%
  • Me Rocks Something Else

6 11.11%
  • Me Rocks Both

17 31.48%
  • Me Rocks Neither

0 0%
    Anyone rockin' the google maps mobile on their storm, how's it running?

Was there an update? Cant tell from their site.

Does the street view function work?

I'm considering dumping bb maps for google and wanted to get the scoop from fellow crackberries.

thanks in advance!
    01-18-09 02:45 PM
    Street view works. GPS does not work on Verizon.
    01-18-09 02:53 PM
    Aside from GPS navigation functions, Google Maps works just fine on the Storm.
    01-18-09 02:56 PM
    Sorry, satellite view works, not street view.
    01-18-09 02:57 PM
    Street view works. GPS does not work on Verizon.
    Aside from GPS navigation functions, Google Maps works just fine on the Storm.
    So what are you guys using? GMaps, right?

How isthe interface and overall functionality?
    01-18-09 02:58 PM
    Not sure why so many of you are having problems with Google Maps? Everything works great on my storm. The search, Street view... etc.

And the GPS works perfect on my phone. It gets my location perfect everytime.

Google maps is a great app!
    01-18-09 03:03 PM
    Not sure why so many of you are having problems with Google Maps? Everything works great on my storm. The search, Street view... etc.

And the GPS works perfect on my phone. It gets my location perfect everytime.

Google maps is a great app!
    You're getting a cell tower triangulation, not GPS. Where are you seeing street view (not to be confused with satellite view)?
    01-18-09 03:05 PM
    rooster,

you're such a big member here and you haven't tried it yet?

im a bit suprised haha
    01-18-09 03:09 PM
    On your map, if you click on the screen, a little window pops open (over the map) and gives choices - Directions from here, directions to here, street view, and save as favorite. I'm running version 2.3.2

Also, it only gives street view if it's available in that area.
    Last edited by murrayj5; 01-18-09 at 03:13 PM.
    01-18-09 03:10 PM
    ok. well it works for me. I was out of town and used it everytime i left my hotel in NY last week. I typed in directions from my location and it worked perfect. If that what it is then it works fine like that...
    01-18-09 03:17 PM
    On your map, if you click on the screen, a little window pops open (over the map) and gives choices - Directions from here, directions to here, street view, and save as favorite. I'm running version 2.3.2

Also, it only gives street view if it's available in that area.
    You're right! I only looked in the standard menu through the BB button. It's not listed there. I find that odd, but whatever.
    01-18-09 03:34 PM
    Here is cap of street view for Chicago, IL area. The street view option isn't available off the main menu. As mentioned in my post, when you click on screen it becomes an option.
    01-18-09 03:35 PM
    You'd think that would be an option on the BB button. If I select Map view or Satelite view it should give me street view if it's available. Not sure how many people will actually click screen for the additional options available. I stumbled upon it.
    01-18-09 03:37 PM
    You'd think that would be an option on the BB button. If I select Map view or Satelite view it should give me street view if it's available. Not sure how many people will actually click screen for the additional options available. I stumbled upon it.
    I agree, the Street View option is a bit hard to find/trigger. And Verizon needs to fix the GPS for this app. Their lawyers are taking way too long to figure this one out.
    01-18-09 03:49 PM
    Without a direct GPS hook up (not A-GPS), I will not rock the google maps. If that is rectified, I would be the happiest person on earth. Until then it is BB Maps for me
    01-18-09 03:57 PM
    rooster,

you're such a big member here and you haven't tried it yet?

im a bit suprised haha
    LOL!

Really stayed away from 3rd party apps to keep the sweet smoothness of my storm going while my storm warmed up to new Oses. Just starting to branch out and add apps.

Still, I'm beta testing an app right now so I dont want to try anything out at the same time. Thought I do some research and see what others have experienced. Seems mixed so far.

About to dump bb maps and wait out for some more thoughts on this thread about ggogle maps and street view.
    01-18-09 03:59 PM
    I prefer google maps. Apparently the street view works really well but not for all locations. The only flaws that google maps has are no voice search and inability for the gps to work with the network turned on. Check out this thread: http ://forums.crackberry.com/f134/storms-gps-verizon-unlocked-136687/ With the network turned off, the gps tracks your location within 3 meters, enough to see which side of the street you are on.
    01-18-09 04:09 PM
    I prefer google maps. Apparently the street view works really well but not for all locations. The only flaws that google maps has are no voice search and inability for the gps to work with the network turned on. Check out this thread: http ://forums.crackberry.com/f134/storms-gps-verizon-unlocked-136687/ With the network turned off, the gps tracks your location within 3 meters, enough to see which side of the street you are on.
    I disagree, Street View doesn't work too well if you really need it. If you're in a location where you're trying to reference where you are in comparison to street view, it would take you ten minutes to figure out where you need to go. It loads very slowly (takes forever to go a virtual mile). I dunno, maybe it is just mine; but that is what I have gotten out of it. Just my opinion though. Don't get me wrong though, it is an AWESOME feature that just needs a little attenton to speed things up. Once it's sped up it will be very handy. It has a lot of potential.
    01-18-09 04:14 PM
    I disagree, Street View doesn't work too well if you really need it. If you're in a location where you're trying to reference where you are in comparison to street view, it would take you ten minutes to figure out where you need to go. It loads very slowly (takes forever to go a virtual mile). I dunno, maybe it is just mine; but that is what I have gotten out of it. Just my opinion though. Don't get me wrong though, it is an AWESOME feature that just needs a little attenton to speed things up. Once it's sped up it will be very handy. It has a lot of potential.
    Hmm..interesting. I have yet to experience the lag while loading the street view. If the street view is available, it'll load in less than 10 secs. However, there is some lag while changing street angles (while in street view) to see what's around.
    01-18-09 04:20 PM
    I do not see a need to dump bb maps or gmaps. I have both and VZ Nav.. As long as you close each app. once you are done, you will be fine. The fact that gmaps uses cell towers right now is a bummer. Verizon, can you here me? Unlock the power!!!
    01-18-09 04:35 PM
    Dumped the BB maps and only using Google Maps. Gives more app memory =D gmaps is fast lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-18-09 04:38 PM
    Dumped the BB maps and only using Google Maps. Gives more app memory =D gmaps is fast lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Are you getting/using street view on your storm?
    01-18-09 04:56 PM
    Street view works for turns just fine on mine.
    01-18-09 09:35 PM
    GMaps loads much faster, searches faster, and routes faster than BBMaps. It also looks better. It has traffic. Only reason I keep BBMaps is because GMaps doesn't have GPS yet.

Things I'd like to see improved on GMaps:
    -Click or double tap to zoom in. (the buttons bug)
    -GPS (naturally)
    -when viewing directions, show one at a time, and let me swipe to show the next turn. I know you're not suppose to use this by yourself while driving, but the reality is that most people are driving by themselves, so it happens.
    -Turn by turn navigation ( a stretch but it would be sweet)
    -Street view pictures should take up the WHOLE SCREEN! Hard to see it otherwise.
    Last edited by dibs ODDJOB; 01-18-09 at 10:06 PM.
    01-18-09 10:04 PM
    By the way, you can see street views in fullscreen. Just press the BB button -> expand.
    01-18-09 10:20 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD