I just took advantage of the BOGO sale at Verizon. I bought my storm at the end of January so I was still eligible.

The problem is the person I got the free Storm for was my father, who is pretty much phone-computer-technology ********.

He insisted on getting it so I went along with it. He got the phone two hours ago and he thinks it is the coolest thing but every 15 minutes or so he asks me another question about it.

He just asked me to get him a ringtone. It is cute in a weird way but I should have seen this coming. Maybe he will catch on quick I hope.

It is funny though now that I am running .103, using his storm feels so sluggish. I didn't mention anything about new OS and what not because I did not want to start upgrading his phone and do all that work as well.

Trying to keep it as simple as possible for him for now. He might have sent one text message in his entire life, and I'm pretty sure he does not even have an email address.

And so it begins...
    02-14-09 03:00 PM
    I know the feeling. Was looking at a family members storm and I noticed how slow and slugish it was. I asked what OS he was running. A look of confusion came over his face. He had .65, so I showed him how to do the wireless upgrade. If i went into detail with the OS and leaked betas I would never do anything besides field questions from him regarding the storm.
    02-14-09 04:48 PM
    Heh.. I AM my mom and dad's IT department for the most part. Once when they were on vacation, I secretly added more RAM to their computer.

GL with dad!
    02-14-09 05:41 PM
    Oh man, you're nuts. My dad can't even use the calculator on his prepaid Nokia (he thinks yearly contracts are scams). Good luck.
    02-14-09 06:04 PM
    Surprisingly it hasn't been that bad so far.

He's pretty stubborn and he likes to try and figure things out on his own. He has asked me a few simple questions here and there. Mostly expected questions from someone who never used a BB before let alone a Storm. My father is lucky he knows how to use the power button on the computer. But he's trying.

I just taught him how to send an sms this morning. Next stop BBM.

Email is going to be fun.
    02-15-09 03:49 PM
    At least you got him on a BB which really are good for beginner and Expert. I gave my Dad an Ipod and i got calls for a month over that.

At least if he really messes it up you can always wipe and restart.
    02-15-09 03:55 PM
    This is kinda funny. When i got my storm, verizon was calling my mom's house for whatever reason, about my blackberry. My mom called me and was like, "The phone company is calling about your blueberry phone." Oh the lols. But yeah, my parents are on my family plan and are always demanding new and cool phones they can barely use. Not to mention the HD TV and Blueray I had to hook up because my parents are techno artards.
    02-15-09 04:00 PM
    Wow, glad to hear he likes it.

He doesn't mind paying $30 extra per month? Without using email/SMS?
    02-15-09 04:13 PM
    Wow, glad to hear he likes it.

He doesn't mind paying $30 extra per month? Without using email/SMS?
    Nope surprisingly he didn't care.

He said he has to learn sooner or later anyway might as well be now. More power to him I guess.
    02-15-09 04:27 PM
    It's cool that your Dad wants to learn about tech and gadgets. My Dad got a Blackberry a year and a half ago because of work, he has an ancient 8700 and really needs an upgrade. Keep us posted and let us know how your Dad likes it.
    02-16-09 12:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD