I didn't read the rest of the thread but based on Paypal policies if you have a tracking number on the package and it shows that is was delivered they can't refund her money.
    thats what i was saying
    12-12-08 04:55 PM
    Unfortunately I didn't write the pin down before I mailed it, never even thought about it.

I just called Verizon to see if they would have the pin and they don't. Is there anyway to get it off of my computer or anything for you more technical people? I did use desktop manager to transfer all my files and contacts to it at one point.

And can we refrain from sending her emails and stuff at this point? I don't think it is going to help my case when she tells the law that she is being harrased.
    Did you activate the phone at all?
    12-12-08 04:57 PM
    I sold 2 phones on ebay. One was close to $200 so I picked signature required. One was $30 so I picked "delivery confirmed". The one with signature required showed up about 3 days later and still paypal took another couple of days after the buyer left + feedback to release the payment to me. The one with delivery confirmed took an extra day to show up. The buyer took about another day to leave + feedback but I wasn't as worried because my funds weren't being held.

As a buyer, I've been glad I used paypal. Once I got a so-called 4 gig usb drive from a scammer in hong kong who used a low level format utility to make a 256 drive look like 4 gig. I copied files to the thing to test it and started getting crosslinked file errors after 250 meg. The scumbag wanted me to pay postage to send the stick back before releasing my money. Paypal got me my money. Then there was the guy who sent me a wifi card that was not compatible with my laptop and refused to provide drivers though their ad on ebay said the drivers were "readily available". Paypal got me my money. In these cases, I was being screwed by unscrupulous sellers. I was glad I used paypal. Then there was the guy who sent me an item that didn't work so I contacted them and went through a lot of diagnosis bullcrap until day 31 when he knew paypal would no longer honor a claim and he stopped answering my emails. I just plain got ripped off.

So these days ebay and paypal are slanted toward buyers. It's necessary because they would have to shut down if buyers weren't protected from all the snakes out there. I've only done roughly 100 transactions through ebay and 5 of them were a problem. To me that's an unacceptable high percentage and I would never go back if they didn't revamp their feedback to protect buyers from feedback bullies that threaten to neg you if you neg them, and if they didn't have buyer protection in place. Thankfully, I have not been ripped off by a buyer yet. I try not to sell really expensive items on ebay and I treat it more like a garage sale. I want to get the crap out of here without it ending up in a landfill.

I hope you get to keep your money. In my opinion, you should get paid because you have delivery confirmed. Also, you might be entitled to an insurance claim from the carrier when the carrier confirms delivery and the buyer claims they never received the package. I always use ups because insurance is built in to the shipping fee and their online tracking gives real time updates on where the package is in their system.
    12-12-08 04:58 PM
    I would try placing the ESN back onto my account and then I would report the device as stolen and then I would check to see if the unlock code that was used to unlock the SIM could be changed. The unlock codes are device specific and you don't need the PIN number for that.

I am so afraid now to post my 2nd device on eBay. I'm wondering now if I should leave the device locked & then provide the unlock code after the 30 day return policy that PayPal has.
    12-12-08 05:20 PM
    Did you activate the phone at all?
    Yea, I used the phone for about 3 days. I called verizon and they say they can't see the pin unless it is active at the time or if there was an email address specific to the Storm that isn't active on my Pearl now which there wasn't.

I had two technical service reps at Verizon tell me to call the other service providers and have them run the ESN to see if it is active on their network. I tried calling AT&T twice to have them do it. The first time I got someone who said it wasn't possible, second time, got a guy who said they needed an IMEI# to search. I gave him the MEID, IMSI, and PESN that Verizon gave me and he said any of those wouldn't work. He was a **** and wouldn't explain anything and when he would say something, I could barely understand him (I am glad I am with Verizon!)

He said they have no control or no way to identify a phone that was on their system and that I was pretty much screwed. Why would Verizon tell me to call the other carriers if they wouldn't be able to search? Or am I being lied to by AT&T? Verizon said the other carriers wouldn't be able to tell me who was using the phone but would be able to tell me if it was active on their network and then the records could be acquired with a subpeona.
    12-12-08 05:26 PM
    I would try placing the ESN back onto my account and then I would report the device as stolen and then I would check to see if the unlock code that was used to unlock the SIM could be changed. The unlock codes are device specific and you don't need the PIN number for that.

I am so afraid now to post my 2nd device on eBay. I'm wondering now if I should leave the device locked & then provide the unlock code after the 30 day return policy that PayPal has.
    If the unlock code was changed, would that mean the phone wouldn't be unlocked anymore?

If they try to put the ESN back on to my account and the phone is active on another network, what will happen there?
    12-12-08 05:28 PM
    ok first of all, please post a copy of her email to you. you are saying it implies she got the phone? maybe she is just asking how to unlock it to prepare for getting it and it got stolen off her porch. (yeah so unlikely, but the email would help us here)

second, you should always record all the info on the phone behind the battery and the pin before selling it for these reasons. but verizon should be able to give you the imei, isnt that the same as the esn?

third, the phone call from lodi, ca is quite strange. this is the one piece of evidence that would lead me to believe she got the phone for sure. but if you wiped it, how would she have gotten the number from it? plus, if someone stole it off her porch it could have been them that called.
    12-12-08 05:35 PM
    My one bad ebay experience (200+ transactions) was also on a cell I sold a year or two ago. They paid with CC via Paypal and I shipped insured..they got it and all was good...then 2 months later, I get a charge back from pay pal and they said the CC was stolen. I learned that you MUST check all the details on PayPal transactions.... my "hole" was that it was not a verified address (or buyer...whatever the term is on pay pal)... that sank my ship. Cost me $250 to learn that leason.
    12-12-08 05:36 PM
    Call Verizon. Report the phone stolen. Do all that they tell you and then the IMEI should get blocked which will forever stop that phone from working on any US network for ever.

Violence is the last resort of the incompetent.

Keep your dignity and do this the right way. Do not pay house visits. This thread will land you all in jail if da copz get involved.
    12-12-08 05:41 PM
    That sucks, sorry for your loss and hopefully you get it resolved. And to those saying selling things on ebay for a higher price is stupid, dumb, or immoral, then you are a moron. You put an item up on ebay trying to AT LEAST get your money back, and when people start bidding, the price rises A LOT on wanted items. Please tell me how this is immoral? I put an iPhone up on ebay with a starting bid of $400 and it ended at $700. I really don't see what is wrong with that, when people want something, they will pay for it.

Selling something that you don't want/need, and making a profit off of it is not wrong. Especially an item like the Storm/iPhone. The Storm you can barely find, and people want it NOW so they will pay the extra money not to wait, and the iPhone you can only buy on a contract, so they will pay the money to NOT sign up with AT&T.
    12-12-08 05:44 PM
    ok first of all, please post a copy of her email to you. you are saying it implies she got the phone? maybe she is just asking how to unlock it to prepare for getting it and it got stolen off her porch. (yeah so unlikely, but the email would help us here)

second, you should always record all the info on the phone behind the battery and the pin before selling it for these reasons. but verizon should be able to give you the imei, isnt that the same as the esn?

third, the phone call from lodi, ca is quite strange. this is the one piece of evidence that would lead me to believe she got the phone for sure. but if you wiped it, how would she have gotten the number from it? plus, if someone stole it off her porch it could have been them that called.
    The message she sent was simply, "how did you unlock this phone" She didn't ask how to unlock it or anything, it was already unlocked. She sent that about about 3:30pm. The phone was delivered at 11:16am. She filed the dispute with paypal around 7pm.
    I did wipe the phone but the number she called was the number that the phone was activated on when I had it. Does that get wiped too or would that stay in the phone until she activated the phone to her number? She would have no other way to get the number.

And another thing, if you were expecting a package from someone and the tracking number said it had been delivered and you didn't receive it, would you automatically place a dispute against the sender? I know I wouldn't, I would be calling the post office and telling them that I didn't receive the package they said was delivered and taking it up with the post office, not the sender. I think she had this planned out.
    12-12-08 05:44 PM
    Call Verizon. Report the phone stolen. Do all that they tell you and then the IMEI should get blocked which will forever stop that phone from working on any US network for ever.

Violence is the last resort of the incompetent.

Keep your dignity and do this the right way. Do not pay house visits. This thread will land you all in jail if da copz get involved.
    Verizon told me that if it is blacklisted, it will only prevent the phone from being used on Verizon, not the other carriers. Verizon also can't seem to provide an IMEI, if I had that AT&T would be able to see if it was on their network.

I am trying to do this the legal way, that is why I asked earlier if people could not send her ebay messages. I only provided her ebay name so that no one else here would get scammed by her.
    12-12-08 05:49 PM
    And another thing, if you were expecting a package from someone and the tracking number said it had been delivered and you didn't receive it, would you automatically place a dispute against the sender? I know I wouldn't, I would be calling the post office and telling them that I didn't receive the package they said was delivered and taking it up with the post office, not the sender. I think she had this planned out.
    Well there are several different sides to this. One being that yes, you call the post office and see whats up and trying to get it resolved with their services. Two, you have her money, she doesn't have the phone, she wants her money until she gets her phone, and there is nothing wrong with that. (Not saying you scammed her, just an example). And of coarse three, she planned it out knowing how easy it is to screw someone on ebay.
    12-12-08 05:50 PM
    Verizon told me that if it is blacklisted, it will only prevent the phone from being used on Verizon, not the other carriers. Verizon also can't seem to provide an IMEI, if I had that AT&T would be able to see if it was on their network.

I am trying to do this the legal way, that is why I asked earlier if people could not send her ebay messages. I only provided her ebay name so that no one else here would get scammed by her.
    why don't u call Lodi, CA police department, provide them with the phone number, e-mail, ebay ID, address. tell them the situation. Im sure something can be done by them.
    12-12-08 05:53 PM
    12-12-08 05:57 PM
    check the outside of the box it came it, it will have the pin, the imei number and a few other nice details.

As far as the rest goes, just keep all your emails and tracking number receipts and all that. Also you activated it on your line, call VZW and check for activity or a noticeable lack their of if she might have put in another sim card

outside of that just work with ebay, paypal, and the post office it will get worked out. Just dont let it drop or let them give you a run around.

Also you have her name, see if you can find a legal way to use that and see if she opened up a account or picked up a sim card from att recently. you should have her address and such to narrow it down.
    Last edited by Rynac; 12-12-08 at 06:05 PM.
    12-12-08 06:00 PM
    But seriously, I done all of my transactions with paypal when I was selling the Bold and I never had a problem. And they weren't listed on Ebay it was just money with paypal. I agree that you should be able to show the emails and the proof and they will not pay her.
    Was she a confirmed address those things?
    That's why alot of people don't do business on ebay with people that don't have confirmed address and things. I really hope you get your money and don't think it is bad that you sold your free storm.
    I am buying my storm tomorrow 500.00 off craigslist, from someone that got it free at a launch. so good luck!
    12-12-08 06:02 PM
    Paypal sucks. Plain and simple.

I had a buyer issue a chargeback after getting the item and Paypal sent me to collections, I shrugged it off and now I'm trying to get it straightened out with the credit bureaus.

Paypal is a terrible company.
    12-12-08 06:07 PM
    Yes call the Lodi, CA police if you havent already. This would def. be one of the first things to do. Let them know that either a) she is perpertrating mail fraud or b) mail fraud was comitted at her address when someone stole the package.

also, have you emailed her? if you havent, do so right away. try to get her phone number or get her to call you. It sounds liek you have had no contact with her since she field the dispute.

when she asked about how you unlocked the phone, yes that sounded like she had it. since she said "this phone" and not "the phone" or "the phone i am receiving"

does anyone know if lodi, CA is a good area? like for example, if you were to tell me this happened in Camden, NJ i would tell you, you got scammed. cause its high crime area. obviously this is not going to say anything for certain, but could give clues.

so anyone know anything about lodi, ca? is it a high crime area?
    12-12-08 06:08 PM
    also if you registered with BIS try to log in and if you can see if there was any added or deleted email accounts or if you can get the pin number.
    12-12-08 06:14 PM
    you are effin ignorant...
    Do you know what ignorant means?
    (I didn't think so)

Ignorant=YOU. Uneducated.

I'm actually enlightened because I've had the privilege of being scammed several times in my newbie years as a businessman. You sound like some ghetto a$$ trashbag that thinks ignorant means something you think it means when in reality is ISN'T.

Finish school fa-fa-flunky...GED's are wack homie (I'm trying to appeal to your ghetto side here)

P.S. -Did my comment about morons trampling that poor innocent man to death offend you?
    Hmmm, I wonder why? Jermaine. I wonder why?
    12-12-08 06:16 PM
    check the outside of the box it came it, it will have the pin, the imei number and a few other nice details.

As far as the rest goes, just keep all your emails and tracking number receipts and all that. Also you activated it on your line, call VZW and check for activity or a noticeable lack their of if she might have put in another sim card

outside of that just work with ebay, paypal, and the post office it will get worked out. Just dont let it drop or let them give you a run around.

Also you have her name, see if you can find a legal way to use that and see if she opened up a account or picked up a sim card from att recently. you should have her address and such to narrow it down.
    I don't have the box, the phone was shipped to her in the box.
    I do have all of my emails. Verizon did search for the ESN and it is not active on their network which I knew it wouldn't be because she bought it to use on AT&T.
    The post office doesn't care, they did their job by delivering it. They can prove that it was or wasn't delivered to her. They even gave me the scanner number that was used to scan the package when it was delivered but that isn't doing anything for me.
    I am waiting for a call back from the United States Postal Inspectors about it being mail fraud.
    Paypal is done working with me. They have already said that they are automatically reverting the money back to her account when the waiting period is up even though I provided the tracking number saying it was delivered. They say they can do this because I didn't purchase signature confirmation and for a package to be covered under the seller protection program if it is over $250 is that there has to be signature confirmation.
    Paypal won't even hold the money longer if the law is involoved to ensure that I do get my money.
    12-12-08 06:16 PM
    I hate Paypal.
    12-12-08 06:19 PM
    Yes call the Lodi, CA police if you havent already. This would def. be one of the first things to do. Let them know that either a) she is perpertrating mail fraud or b) mail fraud was comitted at her address when someone stole the package.

also, have you emailed her? if you havent, do so right away. try to get her phone number or get her to call you. It sounds liek you have had no contact with her since she field the dispute.

when she asked about how you unlocked the phone, yes that sounded like she had it. since she said "this phone" and not "the phone" or "the phone i am receiving"

does anyone know if lodi, CA is a good area? like for example, if you were to tell me this happened in Camden, NJ i would tell you, you got scammed. cause its high crime area. obviously this is not going to say anything for certain, but could give clues.

so anyone know anything about lodi, ca? is it a high crime area?

Yes there is alot of crime that happens in that general area. Its a small city but is next door to stockton which does have alot of crime.

Hope this helps.
    12-12-08 06:19 PM
    I don't have the box, the phone was shipped to her in the box.
    I do have all of my emails. Verizon did search for the ESN and it is not active on their network which I knew it wouldn't be because she bought it to use on AT&T.
    The post office doesn't care, they did their job by delivering it. They can prove that it was or wasn't delivered to her. They even gave me the scanner number that was used to scan the package when it was delivered but that isn't doing anything for me.
    I am waiting for a call back from the United States Postal Inspectors about it being mail fraud.
    Paypal is done working with me. They have already said that they are automatically reverting the money back to her account when the waiting period is up even though I provided the tracking number saying it was delivered. They say they can do this because I didn't purchase signature confirmation and for a package to be covered under the seller protection program if it is over $250 is that there has to be signature confirmation.
    Paypal won't even hold the money longer if the law is involoved to ensure that I do get my money.
    This is what you should do:
    Befriend T-Mobile, AT&T, and any other carrier CSR's that could look up in their system WHEN and IF the BB Storm is on their books...

Then, supply them with the serial number, and or IMEI numbers...
    It WILL surface on ANY network that it was activated on...

The law will do the rest once your evidence is corroborated with what documents you have supplied them with (e.g. emails)
    12-12-08 06:20 PM
218 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD