I use SMS messages in my work and most of them have to be kept forever for business reasons, so I pretty much always press "Save Message" for all SMS messages. (I wish there was a way to have the Storm auto-save all SMS messages, but I don't know of one.)

Anyway, three questions for anyone who might know the answers:

1. Where are saved messages physically saved on the Storm? I know they're not on the SD card, and I looked at Device and System memory locations and can't find them.

2. Does saving nearly all SMS messages have a negative impact on application memory (or any other negative impact for that matter)?

3. I know that when I do a backup using DM, it saves all of the SMS messages (among other things). Is there any method I can use to open the saved SMS messages on the PC?

Thanks in advance.
    02-24-09 10:44 AM
    Anyway, three questions for anyone who might know the answers:

1. Where are saved messages physically saved on the Storm? I know they're not on the SD card, and I looked at Device and System memory locations and can't find them.

They're in a device database in the application memory on the phone. Unfortunately you won't have access to them in the other memory as it's a seperated, dedicated memory.

2. Does saving nearly all SMS messages have a negative impact on application memory (or any other negative impact for that matter)?

It can in some ways. It does take application memory as all the phone stuff is stored in the 128 MB Flash memory on the device. It's seperated from the other 850MB you have on the device (Why RIM did this I have no idea). I would say it's fairly minimal though unless you really are getting ALOT of messages. You also increase the risk of the entire database corrupting and you losing ALL of the messages (unless you have a backup)

3. I know that when I do a backup using DM, it saves all of the SMS messages (among other things). Is there any method I can use to open the saved SMS messages on the PC?

not that I am aware of.
    02-24-09 11:27 AM
    02-24-09 11:45 AM
    Interesting, first time i've heard of that program. Not bad though.
    02-24-09 11:48 AM
    Interesting, first time i've heard of that program. Not bad though.
    i want it... it works great.
    02-24-09 12:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD