Okay I LOVE Blackberry overall BUT...My first Blackberry (and second and third and fourth) was a Tour. I loved the phone once it was working correctly but after flying to St. Louis and trying to entertain myself with the media on my phone and seeing all my buddies toying with their iphones and droids (plus I came from Palm so I like my touchscreens) I had to have a touchscreen phone with a large screen 100%. I paid up and upgraded to the Storm 2 at the one year upgrade price and here is my dilemma:

When I got it I was in LOVE, the Surepress screen is great, I really like physically selecting an item. I like the phone, build quality, battery life but HATE the software. I hate that an OS can come out and be so buggy. The phone operates perfectly about 90% of the time but the other 10% seems to be when I need it most an it fails me. The lag and issues are somewhat unacceptable for such a costly device. I love the email on it, I love the hardware, I WOULD love the os if it operated as it was intended (even more than the competition) BUT...

My worry free guarantee is still good and I am considering the incredible. It will NOT email like my storm 2 does but it seems it will do everything else better without constantly waiting on the next os to fix what should have been right in the first place.

Let me know your thoughts as I am still weighing my options and with the possibility of os 6.0 and the webkit browser I am tempted to stay but am still annoyed about being excited about something that may come out to make my phone operate as it should.
    04-23-10 09:36 PM
    Hmmm, not sure what you're talking about - what OS are you on? I'm on .517 and can't say its buggy in fact I'm having trouble thinking of a bug right now...
    04-23-10 09:49 PM
    I will say that I tired the Droid and returned it - I like the Storm 2 click screen and the mute/pause button, the sleep magnet, and general hardware quality. The Android phones can be frustrating in stupid ways. For instance, the media player would always start up whenever I got in my car and connected to Bluetooth (which was very buggy), even if I was listening to a podcast. And the whole "turn it on, then swipe to unlock" every time you want to use it gets old fast; especially if you're used to just pulling your BB out of a case and being able to use it right away.

I will say though, that Android is fast and fun and a great browsing experience.
    Last edited by wpwoodjr; 04-23-10 at 09:55 PM.
    04-23-10 09:53 PM
    If you're wanting games and 100,000 apps then get rid of your bb and get a droid or an iphone. Just make sure you're not then sitting around watching someone get email on their bb and decide you've got to have a bb again. The reality is that you can't have it all. Life's about compromises. Figure out what you want the most and get it. All these smart phones work great and they all have pros and cons.
    04-23-10 10:12 PM
    My question is: how do you know the Incredible will be perfect out of the box? Who's to say there are
    n't bugs with that device that have to be fixed with OS updates? The Droid suffered its own fair share of problems when it first released! But if you had asked anyone at VZW, it was still the best thing since sliced bread.

Whatever you decide just make sure you spend plenty of time playing with the Incredible at the store before exchanging it. If you're not sure, you will be in the Droid forums asking, "Should I switch back to the Storm2?..."

Bottom line, don't listen to us or anyone else, get whichever device makes you happy. Capiche?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-23-10 10:30 PM
    With the worry free, you can only exchange once without paying retail for the phone. If you go to the Incredible, then want to go back, you will have to pay retail for the Storm.
    04-23-10 10:36 PM
    I had 3 Tours and I now have the Curve I don't find it buggy at all. And in order for my Tour to work for me I needed to keep the 4.7 their 4.0 didn't do it for me. But the trackball actually stuck to where I can't even move it. I am so done with that and when it worked I loved that phone.
    I am really impressed with this little Curve. I know it isn't touchscreen . Maybe you can downgrade your OS if you have one you liked better. Or try a qwerty again.
    I know Verizon is really pushing the Android platform and the new Incredible. It is like a car, will have its issues that needed to be worked out. I wouldn't get a phone that is brand new............you might find fault.
    04-23-10 10:42 PM
    I will say that I tired the Droid and returned it - I like the Storm 2 click screen and the mute/pause button, the sleep magnet, and general hardware quality. The Android phones can be frustrating in stupid ways. For instance, the media player would always start up whenever I got in my car and connected to Bluetooth (which was very buggy), even if I was listening to a podcast. And the whole "turn it on, then swipe to unlock" every time you want to use it gets old fast; especially if you're used to just pulling your BB out of a case and being able to use it right away.

I will say though, that Android is fast and fun and a great browsing experience.
    I did the same thing. Got the Droid and returned it. There were a few good apps but not having my emails work correctly was a big down for me. My work email didn't even work on it, my personal one worked fine and my other personal one did not work at all. Droid does have a sleep magnet in it though. One thing I liked.

Swipe to unlock every time does suck. There are times where I just put my phone down to work on something else for a quick minute and I have to swipe to unlock. Where as on my BB, only after 30 mins of IDLE, then it locks.

One thing I like about the Droid of the BB is the web browser. But OM5 did the trick, not as good but good enough for me. Anything is better then the native BB browser.

I don't care about apps, I have all the stuff I need on my BB, stock, docs2go, slacker, engadget, and where.

I'm sure I might find more apps on other platforms but do I really need them...nah.
    04-23-10 11:20 PM
    Nah I don't care about ten billion apps; I think I was just having one of those days yesterday where I wanted to make my Storm2 take a long tip across a short room at a high rate of speed. I am on .607 the "official" release from Verizon and now my keyboard freezes for a bit here and there, sometimes in BBM my keyboard will not come up (not groups just normal messages), the infamous sms bug, and almost every time I pull my phone out if its holster now the stupid connections app is brought up. Yesterday I experienced every one of those issues plus a few small glitches and during an already frustrating Friday I just had it.

I do not know if I could really deal without the click screen as it is one of my favorite features and I love how my Berry goes into bedside mode when I put it in its dock so I can use it as an alarm clock. I do need to look for a hybrid or look into going back to the old OS version because this phone was not like this initially but I think I will stick it out. Who knows maybe we will actually get 6.0 and webkit this year.
    04-24-10 07:38 AM
    I know a few people who have Android phones, and trust me, their OS can be just as "buggy", even if (like the Blackberry) it is only on occasion.

For example, on my sister's phone, she was having an issue where every time she used the media player her phone would call random people!
    04-24-10 09:14 AM
    Yeah I agree it is appealing because people with Android phones like to talk about them like they are perfect (not all but most) and when you are having a day where you are just annoyed with your phone it is easier to buy into the hype. I like my berry and am going to stick with it.

I do want to wipe the phone and re-install the OS today to see if that helps. I have never installed a beta, is there one that anyone has tried and is completely satisfied with or a version of the OS that you guys recommend me trying? I want to overhaul this phone today and want to put something different on it this time around. For now I will be reading Blackberry 101's and posts about how to install hybrids etc.

In the meantime let the suggestions roll, whichever is the most highly recommended is the one I will install today.
    04-24-10 09:20 AM
    I am not familliar with Storm 2 (hands on) but I know I would love to get one. I have an 8330 and love it, but I am still new to bb. Just as an idea but what is the memory on your phone and a possible upgrade before wiping it? I do a lot of computer work and sometimes additional memory helps to speed things up a bit. I hope you do find a good inexpensive solution.
    A hit of life is the best thing I ever had. Thanx.
    04-24-10 11:12 AM
    Whatever you do, do not reinstall 607. I went back to 517 and love my phone again. Every one has different experiences, and going with 607 was not good for me, and it was the first time ever actually going back to a previous OS that worked good for me.
    04-24-10 11:17 AM
    I'll tell ya wut I have had da S1 sknce launch and just recently got dat S2 like a week aho and yea da .607 gots its issues but it is a million times better then the S1 on its best day ever so I'm not knockin dat .607 Os and haven't tried to downgrade to da .517 OS but I am completely 100% satisfied and can't rele complain but as everyone has said my friend got an android and hates it but played wit my S1 for ten min and luved it...lol so go figure its all bout want Ur needs are and how to feed em...lol so good luck wit w.e OS u reinstall and let us all know how u did...

04-24-10 11:31 AM
    I'll tell ya wut I have had da S1 sknce launch and just recently got dat S2 like a week aho and yea da .607 gots its issues but it is a million times better then the S1 on its best day ever so I'm not knockin dat .607 Os and haven't tried to downgrade to da .517 OS but I am completely 100% satisfied and can't rele complain but as everyone has said my friend got an android and hates it but played wit my S1 for ten min and luved it...lol so go figure its all bout want Ur needs are and how to feed em...lol so good luck wit w.e OS u reinstall and let us all know how u did...

Good for you! But dude......you gave me a headache with your dats and wuts and das.......LOL
    04-24-10 11:35 AM

Wut dis bout aho?

04-24-10 12:38 PM

Are you an idi0t, or do you speak that way on purpose?
    04-24-10 01:27 PM
    Don't you mean "do you speak DAT way on purpose" lol.

Seriously though; I downloaded and installed Alexander_Ekin 9550 Hybrid V643(604-612-623-643) and it is PHENOMINAL! Browser is faster than I have EVER seen it by far, everything works on the phone I don't even know what to say. I went from being ready to destroy the Storm 2 and grab a droid to never wanting to let go of my Storm 2!

I recommend all storm owners try this one!
    04-24-10 07:12 PM
    Yo yo yo that's cool G. Ima make up my own language
    04-24-10 07:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD