I tried the Torch at my local ATT store and was disappointed. Navigating the screens was accompanied by lag, and the overall layout seemed confusing and nonintuitive. The physical keyboard was fine but at times uncomfortable to use because of the overhanging screen. Input on the touch screen and of course the screen resolution were notably inferior to the iPhone that I also tried. OS6 and the Torch reminded me of the original Storm and early OS5. Certainly, OS6 updates will refine the experience.

Although I would definitely welcome a better web browser on my 9550, I am comfortable with SurePress and a fairly mature OS5, rather than jumping ship. There will be a time to upgrade but for me it's not now.
    08-08-10 12:52 PM
    I think at this point I would be more than happy with just a new web browser for my storm2.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-10 05:18 PM
    I think at this point I would be more than happy with just a new web browser for my storm2.

Same here.
    08-08-10 05:32 PM
    (My point, exactly).
    08-08-10 05:38 PM
    Other then the web browser, which I actually don't mind, the storm2 does everything I need to do very well. I also really enjoy the sure press technology so I can't complain.
    08-08-10 05:56 PM
    Other then the web browser, which I actually don't mind, the storm2 does everything I need to do very well. I also really enjoy the sure press technology so I can't complain.
    THANK YOU! This is the way I feel. My Storm2 has a beautiful screen (blacks are blacks and you can see it in the sunlight) - I love the SurePress screen, the SureType, the messenging, phone, several apps, and the themes. It does everything so well, I just don't understand why people think its so inferior to the other phones. I realize it lacks the memory and speedy processor, but in its current form, mine is fast, screens move smoothly, and I really like using it!
    08-08-10 08:41 PM
    Yea I would have to agree with you guys. I love my storm 2 very much. Its just the web browser that's not great but other than that I can live with it

08-08-10 08:46 PM
    A while back the S2 was the greatest phone RIM ever released. It got better as the software improved.
    Now bam it's crap. Nope I'm not buying that the S2 is still a great phone.
    Works great and I have it setup just like I like it.
    I would try the webkit and decide if I want to use it.
    I won't be throwing away my S2 anytime soon as I'm in for two years or until the Storm3 come out.
    08-08-10 09:26 PM
    Looks like we're all in agreement. My S2 is great, works terrific. Yeah, the web browser is not the fastest, but when I read some idiots saying "it's unusable" I have to laugh..c'mon now..unusable? They have to be idiots to say that...So, I would certainly welcome a faster browser, but that's about it. I love SurePress, my phone never requires rebooting, battery life is typically 24-36 hours for me and with all the apps I have installed, I sill boot up to 94MB.

Regarding screen lag on the Torch, it's odd. I see some saying it's there and others saying it's not, so I don't know what to believe until I try it for myself.

THAT being said, there is NO WAY ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH that I will ever, ever, EVER, go to AT&T!!! They could be offering a free Porsche with every new signup and I'd pass...wait...well, hmmm...ok, maybe for that, but that's about what it would take for me to sign up with that lousy service! I'm a happy camper though I do have hopes for a good S3 with a good OS and browser. Time will tell.
    08-08-10 09:39 PM
    if it just had the ability to give me the winning lottery tickets and dispense my winnings on the spot, i'd be soooo happy right now..LOL
    08-08-10 09:43 PM
    I wish I was happy, but no OS6 left me empty. I purchased a Droid Incredible in the marketplace and will try out for a few weeks. My wife has an Eris, and the more I played with it, the more I realize how much great stuff Android offers (navigation, tons of apps, widgets) and a great browser. So once I realized we are not getting OS6, this became an obvious choice, plus, I want to save an upgrade for LTE. Hopefully by then, Blackberry will have a new touchscreen, Storm 3, or something else for VZW.

I do love the storm2, it is a very capable device, if I end up not liking Android, I will keep the Storm 2 and just resell the incredible.
    08-08-10 09:54 PM
    I think the Torch and OS6 looks pretty darn good.
    The problem is, I really like Surepress.
    I'm holding out for Storm3 too.
    08-09-10 01:13 AM
    A while back the S2 was the greatest phone RIM ever released. It got better as the software improved.
    Now bam it's crap. Nope I'm not buying that the S2 is still a great phone.
    Works great and I have it setup just like I like it...
    This doesn't make sense to me; the S2 "was the greatest phone RIM ever released," "it got better", "works great," now "you have it setup just like you like it" , but, "Now, bam it's crap"???? How did it go from "greatest" to "crap" in one small paragraph?
    08-09-10 08:05 AM
    I tried the Torch at my local ATT store and was disappointed. Navigating the screens was accompanied by lag, and the overall layout seemed confusing and nonintuitive. The physical keyboard was fine but at times uncomfortable to use because of the overhanging screen. Input on the touch screen and of course the screen resolution were notably inferior to the iPhone that I also tried. OS6 and the Torch reminded me of the original Storm and early OS5. Certainly, OS6 updates will refine the experience.

Although I would definitely welcome a better web browser on my 9550, I am comfortable with SurePress and a fairly mature OS5, rather than jumping ship. There will be a time to upgrade but for me it's not now.
    The sad thing is that RIM's top guy calls the Torch their flagship model.
    08-09-10 08:53 AM
    Glad I'm not the only one, I love my S2! It has all the functionality that I need in a device it's not laggy as some people say and you can't beat the customization and notification. A new web browser would be nice but I use Opera Mini and that moves plenty fast for when I search stuff.
    08-09-10 10:01 AM
    The browser isn't unusable, but let's face it, just "speeding it up" doesn't fix all the problems it has. I haven't had a chance to use the new OS 6 browser yet, but for me I'd really want to see improvements on page-rendering more so than just speed.
    08-09-10 10:04 AM
    Gotta have 4G support. Period. Full stop. Don't especially need new OS, but it would be nice, especially with a new Browser. Light, slim size of S2 is a plus. Now that Apple has stubbed its toe, one wonders what the impact on the RIM Skunk Works has been. For me, the fact that so many Mid East and Eastern countries are having a hissy over BBM is a plus: security uber alles!

DoctorNeutron
    08-09-10 10:06 AM
    I have no reason to change from my S2 now. Mine works well, does what I need it to, and still runs all the media I want to run. Still my favorite phone.

Those who have problems most likely have bad Apps running. Be careful what is installed on a Storm and it will treat you well.
    08-09-10 11:06 AM
    The S2 is fine but you have to admit it is behind other platforms in some areas, in particular the browser. It's like how poor people don't know they're poor until they see rich people. The S2 would be AWESOME if there was no Android or Apple.
    08-09-10 11:13 AM
    This doesn't make sense to me; the S2 "was the greatest phone RIM ever released," "it got better", "works great," now "you have it setup just like you like it" , but, "Now, bam it's crap"???? How did it go from "greatest" to "crap" in one small paragraph?
    Point is the S2 is and always has been a great phone. But now that people know OS6 isn't coming to the S2 they believe the S2 is junk. Lets try to keep it real.
    08-09-10 11:25 AM
    Iphone and Droid can't run OS6 so they must be crap.
    08-09-10 11:31 AM
    The S2 is fine but you have to admit it is behind other platforms in some areas, in particular the browser. It's like how poor people don't know they're poor until they see rich people. The S2 would be AWESOME if there was no Android or Apple.
    What you say is very true; Except for the browser my S2 suits me just fine. I do want a faster browser and larger screen (more resolution). What disappoints me the most about RIM is their reluctance to really increase the memory and add a FASTer processor; both things that would help quiet the critics, make the phone run better, AND would not add that much to the cost of the phone!
    08-09-10 11:31 AM
    More salt in the wounds, even the curve 9300 will run OS6.
    08-09-10 11:47 AM
    Gotta have 4G support. Period. Full stop.
    Well, let's wait for the networks to actually offer 4G first, then complain. I suppose here in the US they could have rolled out a 4G device on Sprint, but I'm sure once Verizon and AT&T get into the game RIM will have 4G offerings. It would be an entirely different scenario if the networks were 4G capable yet RIM didn't have any devices to support it.
    08-09-10 12:22 PM
    What you say is very true; Except for the browser my S2 suits me just fine. I do want a faster browser and larger screen (more resolution). What disappoints me the most about RIM is their reluctance to really increase the memory and add a FASTer processor; both things that would help quiet the critics, make the phone run better, AND would not add that much to the cost of the phone!
    The browser is fine for me also. And I have tether and usually keep my laptop handy so its really not a problem. But its still not as good as android and apple. That's all I'm saying. I agree with your other points 100%. I don't think there's any excuse RIM can offer that will suffice.
    08-09-10 01:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD