I have been a Windows Mobile user for years, starting with an IPAQ, to the Samsung i730 and now the i760. It is time for an upgrade and I am considering the Storm. I enjoy being on the bleeding edge of technology and actually look forward to learning the new OS. however, I am also very cautious from the the reviews online and also reading the forum.

I have played with the keyboard for about 30 minutes at best buy and think I can adapt. I am stuck with Verizon for a number of reasons so my options are limited. I also looked at the curve but feel that is a step backward from my Samsung.

I am curious if there are other i760 users who have made the switch and could offer some feedback. Finally, does the storm show html email as the winmobile device. Is there anything else I would be giving up other than WIFI. Not a big deal with Verizon Network.

Thanks,
    Rick S
    01-11-09 09:57 AM
    yes the storm does show HTML email, it doesn't look as good as it does on say an iphone though. Also what kind of user are you? Do you use your phone in a corporate environment?
    01-11-09 10:51 AM
    I just made the switch to a Storm from an i760. I could NOT stand WinMo.

I do miss having a real keyboard sometimes, but the other benefits of the Storm have taken my mind off of that. I still make a lot of typing errors on my Storm, but Im slowly getting better.

First of all, the screen on the storm blows me away every time I turn the phone on. Its huge compared to the i760, and you can actually use it as a touch screen. No more pecking with a stylus. I find myself perfectly capable of one-handed operation on the Storm because of SureType. I was never able to open a SMS and respond to it "on the go" with my i760.

The OS has most likely made me a Blackberry user for life. Everything just seems more intuitive and easy to use.

I am loving the intergration of MMS, SMS, and e-mail. I couldnt stand the MMS on the i760.

I could go on and on, but Ill wrap it up and say I am extremely happy that I ditched the i760 for the storm. Yes, the Storm OS is buggy but I do believe the issues will be ironed out. Honestly, I thought my i760 was buggier than the storm.

E-Mail does display in HTML but I have to manually load images by clicking them (similar to gmail).

If you have any more questions about the differences between the phones Id be happy to answer.

Make the switch!
    01-11-09 11:19 AM
    I'd have to beg to differ when you say you'd be going backwards with the curve. The curve is much more of a machaine than the i760. The curve is a phenominal business tool.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-09 12:04 PM
    Thanks for the quick feedback. I am self-employed and use a hosted exchange service. They also handle blackberry for an additional charge but i am told that my experience will be seemless.

Si I guess the real issue is the keyboard, the i760 does have a great physical keyboard. I think I will give it a try. Knowing that I hav 30 days does help and I could always move to the curve, if it doesn't pan out as hoped.

Am I looking for a particular build date, build location or OS revision? Does that matter. Is it difficult to update the OS.

ALso, I have been using bejive as my integrated IM. Are there similiar products for the storm?

Finally, does it matter if I purchased at company store or an authorized reseller?

Thanks again, this forum has been very helpful.
    01-11-09 12:35 PM
    Build date? The later the better I would assume. Although I own one from 12/2/08 and it's been great.

Build location? I'd have to go with Mexico although again, I own one from Canada and it's been great.

OS version? I say stick with 0.75 which is the latest one offered officially by Verizon. There's a leaked 0.85 version floating about but I don't mess with that. Upgrading is easy: you can do it over the air or with DM.

Beejive is also available on Blackberries.

And I'd say you should purchase a Storm from an actual Verizon store or over the Internet from vzw.com. I've found that to be the best if the need should arise for support.
    01-11-09 01:26 PM
    Hate to throw a wrench into the thread but the most important thing you need to think about is the build quality and the hardware issues of the Storm. On paper the Storm looks great in the real world there are many issues.

Before you purchase it make sure you are VERY familiar with it.

If you already have and still want to purchase it. Best of luck.
    Last edited by cereal killer; 01-11-09 at 01:40 PM.
    01-11-09 01:37 PM
    Hate to throw a wrench into the thread but the most important thing you need to think about is the build quality and the hardware issues of the Storm. On paper the Storm looks great in the real world there are many issues.

Before you purchase it make sure you are VERY familiar with it.

If you already have and still want to purchase it. Best of luck.
    lol , he is right , honestly just make sure the click works before you leave with it . i highly recommend it , get er done !
    01-11-09 01:42 PM
    To run the risk of sounding like a Storm Fanboi, I am currently:

Connected to the Interweb via my Storm (using it as a tethered broadband modem) on my work laptop
    VPN'd into my company network via this connection
    Watchin Lord of the Rings: Return of the King on my Storm whilst I work

This *is* a cutting edge device. iPhone fanbois aside, this is the best business focused touch screen, multimedia friendly device on the market.

No other touch phone satisfies all of the needs of a business user and multimedia user the way that the Storm does.

If you're a multimedia user then the iPhone is the leader in that area of the market.

If you're a business user, who needs to be connected with a vast variety of tools for which the Blackberry is synonymous, as well as wanting to be able to use a touch screen / full screen handheld device, the Storm is the beast for you.

And it *is* a beast. It is a new device, yes; software is appearing for it all the time and OS releases are addressing a few of the early bugs.

I've never used a WinMo device but the Storm satisfies my business needs and gives me all of the multimedia tools that I need as a "nerd-on-the-go"... I can listen to music, watch movies, surf the interweb with a fast connection and get my laptop online *anywhere* (Verizon has THE best coverage in the USA; nobody can argue against that; it's a fact) via my phone if needed.

For me, there is no other device.

I hope these comments help you in your decision. Sure, there's a learning curve when you switch to the Storm but there would be if you switch to any Blackberry device because it's an entirely different OS. It holds and maintains it's lead in the market for a reason though; it's the best at what it does.

Good luck. Let us know what you ultimately decide
    01-11-09 02:14 PM
    I'm an ex-i760 user that went to the Curve (great little device) to the Storm.

After spending one day with the Curve, I was super impressed. After spending one month with the Storm, I am impressed. The difference is that using the Curve, all I wanted it to do was work, especially after the i760 which did not work that well. With the Storm I expected it to sing and dance and do the dishes every other day. It didn't do it right out of the box, but as I've used it and come to adjust to it, the Storm reveals it's strength and hidden features almost daily.

I could not go back to a Curve and be happy, I'd be satisfied, but not happy. I would take away a person's name if they tried to make me go back to the i760, it was awful.

The Storm has a learning curve (no pun intended), but once you've gotten past that, it's a great phone with great potential.

There's a Storm a brewing, so you might as well embrace it. :-)
    01-11-09 03:34 PM
    Some have hardware issues. Others have perfect devices. Don't listen to the jealous nay sayers
    01-11-09 04:29 PM
    Whichever way you go, I wish you luck and welcome you to crackberry. I look forward to seeing you in the forums.
    01-11-09 05:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD