Hello there everybody,

My name is George, I'm 26, and me and my girlfriend really feel bad and sad and hoping that someone here will finally help us.
    I'm using Blackberry Storm 9500, and my girlfriend has the bold.
    the problem with the Storm is first, I don't have any "wireless update" on my options screen, my Blackberry still running v4.7.0.65 (platform 4.0.0.76) version, and I really want to update and improve it, thought that by "wireless update" will be easy for me to update it, but now without it's really hard... help me please.
    second, I don't have the "application centre" on my main menu screen, how do I get it?
    third, is what really killed, the Youtube, I tried to use Youtube via the device internet browser, but while selecting the video the media player shows up and then appears up at the right side "Error playing" in red, and a note that says "An error has occurred attempting to play media", I didn't give up, I searched and I downloaded the Youtube application from the device's browser, I thought that this will finally help me, but no, it turned me down again by an error message that says "PlayerException: Error initializing media. Cause: javax.microedition.media.MediaException: Error initializing media"...it totally killed.
    What can I do? help me please.

My Girl friend, she's having same problem with Youtube, but she didn't download the Youtube application because she couldn't find it, but she tried via the device's browser and by selecting the video clip and showed the same note that was showed even to me "An error has occurred attempting to play media".

Help us please, me and my girlfriend will be very appreciated.

Thank you everybody, and thank you Crackberry.com
    02-26-09 09:42 PM
    Ok George I only have one piece of advice. The OS update is what the storm needs in my opinion .65 is horrible. Check out the stickies in the OS forum and that will tell you how to update it. After doing that you will be happier.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-26-09 09:55 PM
    George, if you fell uncomfortable doing the update... just take your device to a REAL Verizon store (not one of those authorized dealers.) The techs in the back can put the latest official OS on the for you. I also recommend reading the Storm tips and trick threads. Also, "google" can be your best friend. Just google what you are trying to do on the Storm and you will find an answer

I can honestly say that the Crackberry forums have helped me out a lot. Wish you luck!
    02-26-09 10:04 PM
    Go to the Storm Beta OS Discussion..instructions on OS upgrades is in there..Sorry you having so much trouble
    02-26-09 10:07 PM
    Yeah, take that sucker in to a Verizon corporate store and have them update you to 75 at the VERY least. All your frowny faces are breaking my heart.
    02-26-09 10:10 PM
    Ok I can't take the frownies anymore.

If you are willing to try upgrading to a beta OS, I'd recommend going straight to 109. Here's the findings thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/95...thread-167460/

Here's the leak thread with links:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/of...thread-167458/

Here's how to install a beta OS:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/ho...eta-os-122851/

Here's the rest of the forum: http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/

When you upgrade to a leaked beta OS, in AppLoader make sure "BlackBerry Application Center" is checked and that may solve that problem too. Otherwise maybe do this: Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing Table > Press the Menu button > Register Now (doesn't matter which line is selected in the Host Routing Table). But I know it's an option in AppLoader (the path to AppLoader is in the how to install a leaked beta OS thread).

I don't use YouTube so hopefully someone else can help there.
    Last edited by zazzified; 02-26-09 at 10:19 PM.
    02-26-09 10:16 PM
    Try going directly to the youtube mobile site at m.youtube.com which is all the youtube app really does for you (that I have seen) the normal youtube site runs flash, which unfortunately, can't be used on a BlackBerry yet (now I have a sad face...because I want flash to become available!). I don't have the youtube app on my BB, so I tested the mobile site to verify, and worked without a problem.
    Last edited by circlesstart; 02-26-09 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Didn't want to sound too much like a neanderthal
    02-26-09 10:22 PM
    why would he go to a verizon store if he has a 9500 on Vodaphone?
    02-26-09 10:33 PM
    I'm not sure where but there is a pdf file with instructions on how to get the wireless update option on your phone to download ota. I had that prob too when .75 came out. Put "wireless update pdf" in a search and see what comes up. Good luck

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-26-09 10:33 PM
    Ok I can't take the frownies anymore.

If you are willing to try upgrading to a beta OS, I'd recommend going straight to 109. Here's the findings thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/95...thread-167460/

Here's the leak thread with links:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/of...thread-167458/

Here's how to install a beta OS:

Here's the rest of the forum: http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/

When you upgrade to a leaked beta OS, in AppLoader make sure "BlackBerry Application Center" is checked and that may solve that problem too. Otherwise maybe do this: Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing Table > Press the Menu button > Register Now (doesn't matter which line is selected in the Host Routing Table). But I know it's an option in AppLoader (the path to AppLoader is in the how to install a leaked beta OS thread).

I don't use YouTube so hopefully someone else can help there.
    He he has a 9500, not the 9530.

George, if you are up to it, there are all the threads you want HERE. Just go down to the section for the 9500 and the other tools zazzified mentioned.
    02-26-09 10:39 PM
    Crap, I'm sorry.
    02-26-09 10:55 PM
    To my understanding George, you have a newer official update than us on verizon. Like everyone else said, check out the how to's and just do it. Its not as hard as it may seem. I printed the forum instructions out too, just in case. It was super easy, don't be intimidated by it!
    02-26-09 11:42 PM
    why would he go to a verizon store if he has a 9500 on Vodaphone?
    Because he want's to take a trip to NY...?
    02-27-09 12:14 AM
    You guys are amazing!!! thank you so much for your help, I'm gonna log in your sites that you posted and i'm gonna follow your instructions, hopefully i'm gonna understand and finally resolve our problems.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!
    02-27-09 07:10 AM
    Hello again guys,

I'm so excited, finally i'm working on it...solving my problem. but I have a problem...

thanks to you I got so many advices and help, but I don't know which one to pick ...

I have vodafone Blackberry storm 9500.

meanwhile I found in the official Blackberry website a Software Download for Vodafone UK, and it's says:- BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.7.0.111 (English) Package Version: 4.7.0.111 Consisting of: Applications: 4.7.0.78.

is this one is OK? what do you say guys?

incase it's OK, please help me to install it on my Blackberry, I mean how can I install it through my PC ?

Many thanks guys!!!
    02-27-09 08:14 AM
    Download .109 here
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/of...thread-165989/

And follow these instructions and you will be fine

Good luck.
    02-27-09 08:30 AM
    Make sure you get the version for the 9500. If you mistakenly install the 9530 version, you will experience all kinds of connect problems. The 9500 is GSM and the 9530 is CDMA.

rellims link is the right one for the 9500, but it is in dutch. The english might be in it, but then it might not. You might want to search the forums to make sure this is your only option. Also expect the download to take over an hour, as it is very popular as a download.
    02-27-09 08:59 AM
    Just a short note...

I feel so impress on all you guys' attempts in helping our friend, George, on his problem

All of you make this community a best place for both BB newbies and novices.

Impress......
    02-27-09 09:32 AM
    Ditto!!!!!!!
    02-27-09 09:35 AM
    I have two question,

since you told me that it's in dutch, that link that you gave me to download the 109v, does that mean that even the software is Dutch?

second question, what does it means "leaked vresion"?

many thanks...
    02-27-09 12:53 PM
    the software is in english and I think that it is readable in english. I did look around and the only version that i could find was the dutch version. Many have installed it and I don't think they all speak dutch.

the official os for a storm is .75. The leaked versions are Beta. In that they are in testing and have leaked into the community. They are one of many different versions that Rim is testing for the official or gold release.

The official version is allegedly coming out at the end of the month.

Hope this helps.
    02-27-09 01:06 PM
    Can't you just call Vodafone and have them walk you through updating to the official OS via your PC? VZW would do that, so I'm sure Voda would as well.
    02-27-09 02:25 PM
    This should be the last official operating system release, version .78, but one of the newer leaked may work even better. A leaked version a newer version produced by Blackberry, but not officially adopted and released by a vendor, in your case Vodafone

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...05D7C424EBAE5F
    02-27-09 02:47 PM
    The reason why I ask so many questions (Sorry for that) it's because you guys are experts, you all are amaizing, and in my case it's hard to reach and to find someone like you, plus i'm lerning alot of you guys.

One more question please, whats a 3rd party application? and why do you need to back it up?

Many thanks.
    02-27-09 03:13 PM
    The reason why I ask so many questions (Sorry for that) it's because you guys are experts, you all are amaizing, and in my case it's hard to reach and to find someone like you, plus i'm lerning alot of you guys.

One more question please, whats a 3rd party application? and why do you need to back it up?

Many thanks.
    A 3rd party app is one not made by RIM. They are other applications, such as games, weatherbug, poynt, etc.

The DM software will attempt to make a backup and restore during the update of your OS. It it is successful no problems. If it successfully backs it up, but doesn't restore you have to restore manually, again not a problem. However, it is when it doesn't make a decent backup that you are out of luck. You then have to go and get all of your 3rd party apps again, maybe even having to remember the download/unlock code that you PAID for. Much more of a hassle.

Just do a backup before to make sure you have no problems.
    02-28-09 09:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD