Was in the Verizon store looking for a new phone. The display Storm had a cracked screen. Are these devices durable enough to make it 2 years?

Also, it may be an acquired taste but surepress seems risky and awkward.

Chaz
    06-08-10 06:50 PM
    if u find surepress awkward, the S2 is DEFINITELY not the phone for you. seriously. the screen is what drew me to the Storms in the first place. I've no regret that I bought them, but not everyone likes the same thing. you can try the phone for 30 days if you are curious about it. who knows? you might even like the darn thing!
    06-08-10 06:56 PM
    The whole idea of a "moving" screen seems foreign to me. Can you address the durability concern vases on your experience?
    06-08-10 06:58 PM
    Since I haven't owned an S2 for two years yet, I can't address that question. I suppose the actuators under the screen could fail...but if you look at the Apple forum you'll see people with touchs and iphones have issues with hardware such as BLACK SCREEN, faulty touch response, etc, etc, so it boils down to which poison you want to pick. I picked the Storm. I don't want an android (yet), I don't like the Palms but they are sorta interesting (the OS, that is), and I sure as HECK don't want a Jesus phone. The latest Jesus phone LOOKS nice, but it STILL doesn't have a click screen, or BBM. so I STILL prefer my Storm.

If I wanted to set a phone on the mantle and worship it like some freakin' deity, I'd buy an iphone 4. For phone that I want to USE, I'll stick with the S2.
    06-08-10 07:02 PM
    Was in the Verizon store looking for a new phone. The display Storm had a cracked screen. Are these devices durable enough to make it 2 years?

Also, it may be an acquired taste but surepress seems risky and awkward.

Chaz
    I forgot to mention...you ARE aware that the phone has a one year warranty, correct? If you buy it with American Express, that gets you a two year warranty. That kinda makes the durability issue you bring up less of a factor, IMO, than if you feel you'll be out some cash if it fails.

even a Mercedes or Ferrari can break down, so keep in mind while there are warranties, there are no guarantees against failure.
    06-08-10 07:08 PM
    If not taken care of you can break any phone screen. The screen is glass. A hard hit or high drop face down can crack or shatter your screen. I cracked my S1 screen in my pocket by hitting it on a metal ladder hand rail real hard. I added a slip sleeve case to it and moved it to my S2 when I got it on launch day. Other than the one mishap my screens are flawless.
    06-08-10 07:16 PM
    I suppose I will have to bud my time since the storm 3 is in the rumor mill. I'd prefer the iPhone since all my apple devices are a cut or two above anything else I own. But I'm not going to ATT and apple ain't going CDMA.
    06-08-10 07:18 PM
    I forgot to mention...you ARE aware that the phone has a one year warranty, correct? If you buy it with American Express, that gets you a two year warranty. That kinda makes the durability issue you bring up less of a factor, IMO
    A cracked screen is not covered by a manufacture warranty. It is considered abuse. Insurance would cover it though.
    06-08-10 07:19 PM
    If not taken care of you can break any phone screen. The screen is glass. A hard hit or high drop face down can crack or shatter your screen. I cracked my S1 screen in my pocket by hitting it on a metal ladder hand rail real hard. I added a slip sleeve case to it and moved it to my S2 when I got it on launch day. Other than the one mishap my screens are flawless.
    Perhaps but nothing else I own has glass that moves LOL.
    06-08-10 07:20 PM
    A cracked screen is not covered by a manufacture warranty. It is considered abuse. Insurance would cover it though.
    I have insurance from Asurion for loss or damage.
    06-08-10 07:33 PM
    Perhaps but nothing else I own has glass that moves LOL.
    so what if it "moves". as I said, the actuators would be of more concern than the fact the glass "moves". I'd be much more concerned about dropping ANY cell phone & breaking it than the fact that the storm's screen has a tiny bit of movement. If it freaks you out, JUST DON'T BUY ONE.

(and I'm not here to "sell" you on the idea of a storm. YOU came HERE. I'm done explaining about the screen. ie, you keep repeating your anxiety about the screen. I got it!)
    Last edited by dave1812; 06-08-10 at 07:36 PM.
    06-08-10 07:34 PM
    The glass windows in my truck move. Up and down. None of them have spontaneously broken yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-10 08:40 PM
    so what if it "moves". as I said, the actuators would be of more concern than the fact the glass "moves". I'd be much more concerned about dropping ANY cell phone & breaking it than the fact that the storm's screen has a tiny bit of movement. If it freaks you out, JUST DON'T BUY ONE.

(and I'm not here to "sell" you on the idea of a storm. YOU came HERE. I'm done explaining about the screen. ie, you keep repeating your anxiety about the screen. I got it!)
    I just asked a question tha YOU can't answer LOL I get that! And the surepress may be something I would have to get used to. I will keep researching.

Thanks.
    06-08-10 09:48 PM
    The whole idea of a "moving" screen seems foreign to me. Can you address the durability concern vases on your experience?
    You're not going to get a pleasant or informed experience from playing with a demo unit that's been beaten to **** and back; try demanding a refurb unit from stock to get a better idea of how the screen really works. As far as durability, it's a solid device. I've had 3 now and all of them have hit pavement from 3' up. No cracking, no shattering; just some scuffing on the cases.
    06-08-10 09:50 PM
    You're not going to get a pleasant or informed experience from playing with a demo unit that's been beaten to **** and back; try demanding a refurb unit from stock to get a better idea of how the screen really works. As far as durability, it's a solid device. I've had 3 now and all of them have hit pavement from 3' up. No cracking, no shattering; just some scuffing on the cases.
    Why have you had 3? If I upgrade and don't like it can I cancel the upgrade?
    06-08-10 09:53 PM
    You get 30 days to see how it fits you; as to why I've had 3 the first one had a loose battery door and I didn't like the sound, the second one had a screen lockup with the old hardware so I had it replaced with one that has the new screen hardware. You won't have to worry about that as they should all be swapped out by now.
    06-08-10 09:59 PM
    My concern with surepress is exactly what you have experienced. To me it shouldn't be than finicky to get one that works.
    06-08-10 10:06 PM
    I do not use a case or screen protector. I have dropped this hard on concrete multiple times with no problems. Same with storm 1. The screen has been perfect.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    06-08-10 10:10 PM
    My concern with surepress is exactly what you have experienced. To me it shouldn't be than finicky to get one that works.
    Mine works perfectly since I got it replaced, so I'm not sure exactly why you're concerned - it's been almost 4 months since the devices with the old hardware were swapped out with new in the stores.
    06-08-10 10:11 PM
    I've had no problems with mine, first time out the box. I did get it from amazon though not from a Verizon store. Even with the old software mine worked flawlessly out the box. I contend that if MOST people had a bad experience with the device they wouldn't have been able to sell it at all.

The only reason you're questioning the Storm2 is because no one's talking about it like the other phones. Marketing and word of mouth make the sale. No doubt.

I would try it. This is the best phone I've ever had thus far. The screen doesn't move like you might think. And the feedback from typing on it as well as the basic concept (separation of navigation from confirmation) is highly recommended.
    06-08-10 11:07 PM
    did I not ALREADY tell u that u have 30 days to try a new phone?
    06-08-10 11:09 PM
    fyi...ive had my storm 1 (original since release). i have literally dropped it from waist high several times (2x's on cement)...and have yet to break the device (specifically the glass).

i havent used a skin since after the first month. as a matter of fact...i was pulling it out of my pocket just yesterday while walking on a NYC sidewalk and it slammed on the cement.

to this day...it works like a charm...it looks beat the F up...but not one problem. however...i had a buddy of mine who had his in his pocket and leaned against his office desk...screen cracked.

that my .02
    06-09-10 06:08 AM
    Since I haven't owned an S2 for two years yet, I can't address that question. I suppose the actuators under the screen could fail...but if you look at the Apple forum you'll see people with touchs and iphones have issues with hardware such as BLACK SCREEN, faulty touch response, etc, etc, so it boils down to which poison you want to pick. I picked the Storm. I don't want an android (yet), I don't like the Palms but they are sorta interesting (the OS, that is), and I sure as HECK don't want a Jesus phone. The latest Jesus phone LOOKS nice, but it STILL doesn't have a click screen, or BBM. so I STILL prefer my Storm.

If I wanted to set a phone on the mantle and worship it like some freakin' deity, I'd buy an iphone 4. For phone that I want to USE, I'll stick with the S2.

Dude... calm down... he wanted a simple answer, and all you did was go into an iPhone rant...why? as a matter of fact, the OP didn't even mention the iPhone in his/her first post.

Sounds to me like someone REALLY wants the iPhone
    06-09-10 08:39 AM
    Dude... calm down... he wanted a simple answer, and all you did was go into an iPhone rant...why? as a matter of fact, the OP didn't even mention the iPhone in his/her first post.

Sounds to me like someone REALLY wants the iPhone
    you are confused. I was putting his anxiety about the surepress screen into perspective--including how even the phone so many worship, has issues. get it?? it wasn't a rant. it was about perspective.
    06-09-10 08:44 AM
    if u find surepress awkward, the S2 is DEFINITELY not the phone for you. seriously. the screen is what drew me to the Storms in the first place. I've no regret that I bought them, but not everyone likes the same thing. you can try the phone for 30 days if you are curious about it. who knows? you might even like the darn thing!
    I can't believe I am going to say this...but I agree with Dave on this one!
    06-09-10 09:02 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD