I've been loyal to my Storm 1 (all 4 of them). I try not to say bad things about it, even when it's beyond frustrating. I've always had Blackberry, and I'm a little nervous to leave. I use my Blackberry constantly for work -- and I type really fast on my Storm. I've tried testing out other Blackberries with a keyboard (that I used for years), and now I can't type on them!

BUT - I cannot reboot with app memory of more than 10 megs. YES, I've read like 20 pages here of things to do to help that. I just rebooted 10 minutes ago, and I have 10.1 MB available.

A few things:

- I deleted Viigo
    - I don't have Weather Bug
    - My only 3rd party apps: AJC (atlanta newspaper), FourSquare, Google Maps (not running in background), The Weather Channel (not Bug), UberTwitter, VZW Tunes
    - 17 icons on home screen, of which 3 are emails
    - I have to pull the battery at least 2x/day, sometimes 3, and it usually restarts itself at least 1x/day
    - I had quickpull, but it made my phone freeze, so I deleted it, and do an actual battery pull. I have a case, so it's a pain. I do it so often the battery is white on the edges where I pull it - and I have 2 batteries!
    - My emails usually delete after a week because I don't pull the battery fast enough and run too low on memory. SO FRUSTRATING.

- I've been in to the Verizon store 3x. I end up dealing with the same guy every time. He tells me he doesn't have any other suggestions for me -- that the phone is crap.
    - I talked to 611 last week. She couldn't move my date up because it was more than a month out. She at least offered a warranty replacement (unlike the guy in the store), but I've been on the road for work, and was afraid I would either miss the shipment at my hotel, or wouldn't be able to get my BES server enabled and would be totally screwed.
    - I'm eligible for an upgrade in a little over a month, so I've just been trying to limp through so I don't have to pay as much. But after 3 battery pulls, lost emails, the barcode scanner getting stuck on until I pulled the battery -- just today, I'm really frustrated.

For anyone that has switched -- Is the Storm 2 that much better? I LIKE the Storm, if it worked the way it should. I'm willing to look at the Droid, or the Incredible, but if the Storm 2 is that much better, I would prefer to stay with Blackberry. Even if it isn't perfect - it's an OS that I'm comfortable with.
    And if you have any other suggestions on freeing up memory, I'm all ears!

Thanks
    06-23-10 10:42 PM
    I have stuck with my Storm 1 and have been very happy with it. I was excited about the storm2 before it came out, but when it was released, I realized I'd be better off just waitingo for the storm 3 to come out. I know I made the right decision. If the upgrades to the Storm 2 are not needed, then stick with your phone.

I can tell you without a doubt that wiping/reinstall OS will at the very least remedy your problem for the time being.

You see, after a while I have similar problems. Give my storm about a month or two and the available memory immediately after a battery pull gets less and less. Granted, I have almost 40 apps on my storm, but even with all that it runs great until it starts running bad. A quick OS reinstall takes care of it for just short of another two months.

I have no clue if I'm correct, but my theory is that apps store data on the app memory and never gets rid of it. over time, less and less memory is available to the point where it becomes symptomatic.

You probably didn't realize this before because it took us a long time to hit an OS leak dry spell.

I have so much on my phone, that after a fresh install I boot up with 14mb of app memory free. I wipe and reload the OS when my free memory is under 3mb after a battery pull, which takes almost two months to happen.

Give that a shot. I'd be happy to walk you through any of the procedures or explain in more detail what I'm experiencing and how I deal with it.

Hope that helps. write back and let us know what you decide and how it worked.
    06-23-10 11:10 PM
    Droooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooid
    06-23-10 11:18 PM
    My Storm 1's were both pretty solid (Maybe I was lucky?) once they got the OS more or less figured out...lol! However, the S2 is definitely a significant upgrade and doesn't suffer any of the memory problems experienced with the S1's. Should you get one though? That's a tough call. Right now the S2 is past halfway through it's life cycle, so you'll be buying a phone that's "old." But if you're happy with the S1 aside from the memory issue, then you may just LOVE the S2. I'm VERY pleased with mine, but I will admit that the upcoming Android phones are looking pretty tempting.
    06-23-10 11:36 PM
    Yes, the rep told me that I could do a complete wipe - I was just leaving to go out of town, and didn't have time to wait for my IT department to set it up so I could reconnect right then. I'll be back Monday and maybe give that a try.

Good point about Storm 2 vs. Storm 3. I'm still under warranty, and they told me that if I had to replace it again they would let me pick something else. I wonder if I could convince them to warranty exchange me to a Storm 2.....and still have my 'new every 2' available when the Storm 3 comes out......hmmm......
    06-24-10 07:36 AM
    I upgraded to the S2 and I don't regret it.
    06-24-10 10:31 AM
    I don't think the issue is whether or not the OP would regret using the S2.

The main thing is, she's only a few months away from a storm 3. She's waited this long. Why reset the upgrade clock now, when you can use those upgrade benefits for newer equipment in just a few months?

I highly suggest wiping/reinstalling OS before making any permanent decisions.

Again, if you need help with that, I'd be happy to walk you through it.
    06-24-10 10:58 AM
    Do you have 100,000 emails in each folder? I have weatherbug, google maps (running all the time) plus a ton of other crap installed and it boots to about 30 megs and after 3 weeks still is above 10. Maybe its the verizon tunes app? From my experience every app of their is a huge memory hog. Or maybe its 4square? I am guessing, I am super comfortable with the app list I have and don't really experiment any more. I did go with the RIM twitter app recently, its easier/faster than ubertwitter and openbeak in my opinion, although it has some quirks. In any event it's definitely not a memory hog. If you have your app list narrowed down so far, why not finish the job and find the app or two that is killing your BB? Ditch one or two at a time and see if things pick up. Best of luck! I am still happy with my 9530 even after all this time (and so is my wife, I couldn't get her to bite on the "buy one get one" android promo... she was set on keeping her storm!)
    06-24-10 11:12 AM
    I would get the s2. you always have your 30 days. and a couple people i work with have the s1 and i have never ran into any of the problems that they have with the s2. Its a much better phone as far as im concerned and im completely happy with it. Have no problem with memory and i have a handful of games and apps.
    06-24-10 11:16 AM
    I have the exact same problems, only boot up with about 4.1 mb memory, goes down to 0 pretty quickly, then I have to do a bat pull before reading emails. I do this 2-3 times a day. This is my 4th Storm1 since 2/09. Verizon wants me to do a wipe also, but I have several apps that I paid for. How does this effect them? Can I reinstall them without paying again. Last month when we did a wipe, it took me most part of a day to get things put back, and now I have bought a few apps. So, not sure I want to do this again. I am not eligible for an upgrade till October 2010, and I have tried for 3 days to get them to let me get another phone, and they say no.
    06-24-10 01:24 PM
    I have the exact same problems, only boot up with about 4.1 mb memory, goes down to 0 pretty quickly, then I have to do a bat pull before reading emails. I do this 2-3 times a day. This is my 4th Storm1 since 2/09. Verizon wants me to do a wipe also, but I have several apps that I paid for. How does this effect them? Can I reinstall them without paying again. Last month when we did a wipe, it took me most part of a day to get things put back, and now I have bought a few apps. So, not sure I want to do this again. I am not eligible for an upgrade till October 2010, and I have tried for 3 days to get them to let me get another phone, and they say no.
    I have close to 40 apps. I wipe my device before loading the OS. The entire process takes me about 45 minutes and that includes reinstalling the third-party apps whether free or paid.

It's all in how to prepare before you begin the process.

It will make a world of difference for you. If you want to go for it, let me know and I'll see if I can give you a basic guide to walk you through the process.
    06-24-10 01:37 PM
    If you're insisting on sticking with a touchscreen blackberry, don't do the S2. Wait to see what other (if any) comes out in the next couple months. You may not be worried about have the latest device, but you want to have the newest blackberry as possible to support OS 6 and new browser and any other thing. It's almost a year since the S2 and devices are out of date nowdays in 6-12 months. I would suggest to wait to see what other touchscreen blackberries are coming.
    06-25-10 10:51 AM
    If you are stuck with using a BB... the S2 is proable the best option right now. Not a lot of talk about when the S3 is comming out, and sounds like Verizon is not getting the Bold/Torch Slider.

If not the DROID X looks like a really sweat phone...
    06-26-10 03:31 PM
    I've been loyal to my Storm 1 (all 4 of them). I try not to say bad things about it, even when it's beyond frustrating. I've always had Blackberry, and I'm a little nervous to leave. I use my Blackberry constantly for work -- and I type really fast on my Storm. I've tried testing out other Blackberries with a keyboard (that I used for years), and now I can't type on them!

BUT - I cannot reboot with app memory of more than 10 megs. YES, I've read like 20 pages here of things to do to help that. I just rebooted 10 minutes ago, and I have 10.1 MB available.

A few things:

- I deleted Viigo
    - I don't have Weather Bug
    - My only 3rd party apps: AJC (atlanta newspaper), FourSquare, Google Maps (not running in background), The Weather Channel (not Bug), UberTwitter, VZW Tunes
    - 17 icons on home screen, of which 3 are emails
    - I have to pull the battery at least 2x/day, sometimes 3, and it usually restarts itself at least 1x/day
    - I had quickpull, but it made my phone freeze, so I deleted it, and do an actual battery pull. I have a case, so it's a pain. I do it so often the battery is white on the edges where I pull it - and I have 2 batteries!
    - My emails usually delete after a week because I don't pull the battery fast enough and run too low on memory. SO FRUSTRATING.

- I've been in to the Verizon store 3x. I end up dealing with the same guy every time. He tells me he doesn't have any other suggestions for me -- that the phone is crap.
    - I talked to 611 last week. She couldn't move my date up because it was more than a month out. She at least offered a warranty replacement (unlike the guy in the store), but I've been on the road for work, and was afraid I would either miss the shipment at my hotel, or wouldn't be able to get my BES server enabled and would be totally screwed.
    - I'm eligible for an upgrade in a little over a month, so I've just been trying to limp through so I don't have to pay as much. But after 3 battery pulls, lost emails, the barcode scanner getting stuck on until I pulled the battery -- just today, I'm really frustrated.

For anyone that has switched -- Is the Storm 2 that much better? I LIKE the Storm, if it worked the way it should. I'm willing to look at the Droid, or the Incredible, but if the Storm 2 is that much better, I would prefer to stay with Blackberry. Even if it isn't perfect - it's an OS that I'm comfortable with.
    And if you have any other suggestions on freeing up memory, I'm all ears!

Thanks
    Heya bud,

please reread your original post-

Count the amount of times you wrote "FRUSTRATING" ..

I understand a lot of people interpret pain as pleasure- I've seen those weird internet videos.. with the stillettos, the screaming, and all..

but if that's really not you-

RUN, don't walk, to a new platform!! GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN..

Droid, Droid-X, Incredible.. are all lightyears beyond RIMs technology..

It's like comparing a 14 y/o 386 pc with EGA graphics, to a state of the art i7 quadcore laptop with 1080p resolution..

If after all that frustration you decide to stick with the storm platform for another dose of pain and wasted time..
    please don't complain when you get hit with more of the same ole same ole..

$Matt

still scarred by the storm experience.
    06-26-10 05:35 PM
    Try this.. Back up your phone in Desktop manager and disconnect it from the computer after the backup. Then, on the phone, go to Options, Security Options, Security wipe.

Pick the 1st option, the one that does not delete your apps.

After the phone is wiped, restore the phone from your backup. This usually nets me a bunch of memory. The only tricky thing is that you will need to re-register any 3rd party apps you may have purchased.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-28-10 10:03 AM
    Try this.. Back up your phone in Desktop manager and disconnect it from the computer after the backup. Then, on the phone, go to Options, Security Options, Security wipe.

Pick the 1st option, the one that does not delete your apps.

After the phone is wiped, restore the phone from your backup. This usually nets me a bunch of memory. The only tricky thing is that you will need to re-register any 3rd party apps you may have purchased.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Seconded. I was booting at like 17mb. After dong this, I was over 40.

But as an aside, July 15th, I'm online first thing I wake up and ordering a Droid X.
    07-06-10 02:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD