I bet the amount of phones being returned is kinda overrepresented here on crackberry. I mean people returned phones because they didn't like the screen tint

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    ridiculous. I'd put on a temp charge of full retail to deter some of these morons.
    01-23-09 11:08 AM
    No matter what the reason why they were returned they would have to sell them as refurbishes or reconditioned. The number of people that actually find this site and report a problem with their phone is minuet compared to the number of phones that actually get returned.
    actually, I would hazard to guess that the return ratio is much higher amongst members here than in the general population. People here are more knowledgeable in general, therefore more picky.
    01-23-09 11:11 AM
    I'm sorry, but.... WHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! Right to effing what state? O, it sounds so beautiful: right to work state. That's a politically correct way of saying: we employers can scr*w you over when we want and how we want!

Unbelievable.
    Alright. Keep it clean, keep it clean. Its not a political forum.
    01-23-09 11:19 AM
    actually, I would hazard to guess that the return ratio is much higher amongst members here than in the general population. People here are more knowledgeable in general, therefore more picky.
    Definitely true. I have a few friends with Storms who just think theirs works the way it supposed to work and has some problems that they don't like. They don't really care enough to return it as long as it does the basics....weird, I know.
    01-23-09 11:20 AM
    Nice!!!!!
    01-23-09 11:30 AM
    According to the post a white box with the FRUBB9530 is a refub.

Well I just got mine the other day and it came in a full retail box. With the white cover, black box. Inside everything was there. Manuals, CDs, micro sd, chargers, phone, battery, etc. Just like when I bought it brand new and everything was sealed with stickers.

The condition of the phone is perfect. Never used.

Are you sure the FRUBB9530 sticker on the brand new box means its a refub?

Not only that the manufacture date is 1-06-09. Not much time for it to be made, sent out, returned, refurbed and sent away again...
    01-23-09 03:00 PM

Well I just got mine the other day and it came in a full retail box. With the white cover, black box. Inside everything was there. Manuals, CDs, micro sd, chargers, phone, battery, etc. Just like when I bought it brand new and everything was sealed with stickers.

Not only that the manufacture date is 1-06-09. Not much time for it to be made, sent out, returned, refurbed and sent away again...
    If it's in a full retail box... then it's new.

The white box spoken of in the OP is a tall, narrow box and literally the only thing in it will be the phone. I should have snapped a picture when I got one. But no need to worry if yours is in a full retail box with all the accessories and such. It's new.
    01-24-09 01:59 AM
    i just went to a store and they wanted me to give them a reciept i also work for verizon fios so i understand procedure . I got back in my car called verizon explained to them im within 30days the first replacement they sent me was a refurb and the agent said basically thats crap they have to send u a new one within 30 days
    01-24-09 08:30 AM

The first reply i saw to your post was totally inaccurate, so I hope you didn't read that and move on.

FRUBB9530 - What does it mean? lets break it down.

BB = Blackberry. We all know this.
    9530 = the model number. Once again, not tricky.
    FRU = letters that no one seems to understand. Those letters tell you everything. FRU means Factory Refurbished Unit. Plain and simple.

So even if its in a brand new box, can it be a refurb? Absolutely. Definately.

P.S.
    VZW Rep here
    01-24-09 09:23 AM
    Um... FRU means Field Replaceable Unit...
    01-24-09 12:29 PM
    I though it was Field Replacement Unit . . .
    you definitely don't want to get a replaceable unit again, you want the one you get to work
    01-26-09 02:36 AM
    If it's in a full retail box... then it's new.

The white box spoken of in the OP is a tall, narrow box and literally the only thing in it will be the phone. I should have snapped a picture when I got one. But no need to worry if yours is in a full retail box with all the accessories and such. It's new.
    I scanned my White Box replacement.
    Only contents were a refurb Storm with no battery, memory card or back plate.
    All info #'s on are on the end flap of the box.
    SKU# is FRUBB9530
    Box looks like this:

Box Contents:
    (That crud on the front is how it arrived, not from my handling it.
    And that's all I have to say about that.)

Last edited by periwinklemoon; 01-26-09 at 06:37 AM.
    01-26-09 06:33 AM
    As long as it works perfectly, what's the big deal? Just give it a good wipe down and enjoy a perfectly functioning device.

Unless you'd rather have a brand new defective one.....
    01-26-09 07:49 AM
    As long as it works perfectly, what's the big deal? Just give it a good wipe down and enjoy a perfectly functioning device.

Unless you'd rather have a brand new defective one.....
    Uh, if you're referring to mine (pic above), there's no need to swap for a "brand new defective one", because the replacement refurb is perfectly defective in it's own right. It has some serious hardware issues, readily noticeable right out of the box.

But that wasn't why I posted it.
    Pics are simply to show a prior poster what a white box refurb looks like compared to brand new retail box.
    Last edited by periwinklemoon; 01-26-09 at 08:05 AM.
    01-26-09 07:58 AM
    Uh, if you're referring to mine (pic above), there's no need to swap for a "brand new defective one", because the replacement refurb is perfectly defective in it's own right. It has some serious hardware issues, readily noticeable right out of the box.
    screen click issues?
    01-26-09 08:02 AM
    Loose red key (like ready to pop off).
    Screen click = yes. Several areas that just don't respond. At all.
    More minor (but annoying) light leak under Blackberry at top that would serve nicely as a mini-flashlight.
    01-26-09 08:08 AM
    Im starting to think the Refurbished devices are simply a joke. (a sick joke personally) the first refurbished i got the round clear sticker seal was broken before i even touched the box. It was as if someone opened the Refurbished little box played with the phone saw something was wrong with it reboxed it and still sent the damn thing out. That simply blows my mind. The touchscreen would press against the LCD screen under it and cause this ghosting effect also there was dust under the screen so i just packed it up and sent it back within 2 hrs of using it. I kept the device i already had till they get it right. I hear good things about devices made in January but my 30 days are past and i dont see myself getting my hands on any of those so the needle in a hay stack search continues. My second refurbished device is on its way tomorrow lets find out what happens then.
    01-26-09 11:06 PM
    I agree with you...
    01-27-09 01:00 AM
    I got dust under my screen after only having the phone for two days. When I tried to return it to the Verizon store the sales rep said they do not replace them for the dust. The rep said it was a cosmetic issue and Verizon does not replace the phone for this issue. He stated it is only replaced if there is a manufacturing issue and I stated isnt this a manufactoring issue and he said yes but doesnt warrant a replacement. The rep said it was something i was going to have to live with and if I would have kept the phone in a case instead of my pocket then it would not have happen and Verizon was not going to eat the $500 for the phone, but I had to. So after this comment really really upset me and I made a scene over it in the store, the manager of the store agreed to replace the phone. Really sad that I had to go through all that to get a replacement phone. Is this happening to everyone trying to get a replacement?????
    01-27-09 12:27 PM
    I got dust under my screen after only having the phone for two days. When I tried to return it to the Verizon store the sales rep said they do not replace them for the dust. The rep said it was a cosmetic issue and Verizon does not replace the phone for this issue. He stated it is only replaced if there is a manufacturing issue and I stated isnt this a manufactoring issue and he said yes but doesnt warrant a replacement. The rep said it was something i was going to have to live with and if I would have kept the phone in a case instead of my pocket then it would not have happen and Verizon was not going to eat the $500 for the phone, but I had to. So after this comment really really upset me and I made a scene over it in the store, the manager of the store agreed to replace the phone. Really sad that I had to go through all that to get a replacement phone. Is this happening to everyone trying to get a replacement?????
    You need to ask this rep to SHOW YOU in the terms and conditions where it SPECIFICALLY cites this information, because no doubt he has been highly trained to recall the data he has been trained to recall, get my point?

Point: you are owed a new unit without dust...

Here is where it gets tricky, stay with me...

The Storm's hardware has been designed with a major flaw.
    This major flaw will NOT be fixed, UNLESS new molds are made to either
    -make the screens a mm or 2 wider to fit securely into the exterior, or
    -make the exterior a little bigger to make the screen gap free.

The smarter way is to have new lcd panels cut to fit the gap, but during the manufacturing process there will be variables, so please understand this.

IN the end what I am trying to tell you is that no matter how many replacements you want, refurb or factory new, the gap which allows dust to get inside the device AND under the screen will NOT be fixed...
    01-27-09 02:55 PM
    funny i have the gap but zero dust

(admittedly, I am a religious holster user)
    01-27-09 02:57 PM
    I finally got my cup yesterday
    01-27-09 06:40 PM
    I finally got my cup yesterday
    ROFL

I talked to the nicest rep in Boise today (he's sending me my 2nd replacement). Wondered if it might be one of you guys. (If you have a plug-in car, then we spoke. )
    01-27-09 07:32 PM
    funny i have the gap but zero dust

(admittedly, I am a religious holster user)
    Ditto. I'm not religious about it but I rarely just put the phone in my pocket. But yeah... No dust under my screen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-27-09 11:36 PM
    OK, my last update (January 15) had me waiting on a a brand new phone which I was promised by the rep I talked with on the phone (national center). I went off on another trip and waited anxiously for my new phone to arrive, hoping to not have any new problems. Keep in mind my replacement ordeal had taken a month and several phone calls and now I am finally getting my FIRST replacement.

I get back from my trip and run over to pick up my new phone from my office mailbox. Guess what, the box contained a "Certified Like New" phone in a stupid *** white box. I was insulted to say the least and my loyalty to Verizon was at the point I was going to seek legal advice on how to sue them for their incompetence. Since I was about to go on another trip out of the country that night, I went to my local Verizon deal hoping they could help. It took some time, but I had a great salesman who understood that the national center was screwing things up. He connected me to the store manager, who said they had a phone in stock and they would replace it even though I was still in possession of the refurb unit, at no cost to me.

I went home and collected all of the originally boxed content and stopped by the local store to make the exchange, and no problems as they handed me a brand new, black boxed unit. Yeah for the local store for saving Verizon's ***, and my new phone has been working great, except for some international issues, but I have not called to get that fixed yet.

So, based on my experience, I would never try to get any actual customer service from the national center and will plan on going to my local store to get stuff done right. If that fails, it is time to switch carriers.
    02-02-09 09:35 AM
295 ... 9101112
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD