End of November is the expected date. If that is true, we need some specs leaked out soon to salvage what they lost.

Rumor: Storm 3 coming back from the dead to launch in Nov.
    10-14-10 11:40 AM
    I'll believe it when I see it.
    10-14-10 11:42 AM
    Per that article:"The confusion surrounding the alleged cancellation, the firm believes, came about because there are three different models of the Storm 3 floating around: a haptic touch version (which has been canceled), a non-haptic touch with "more memory, and [BlackBerry 6]" which will be released in November, and an entirely new Storm with a "new iPhone-like form factor, but slimmer," which is said to be running the same QNX software found on the PlayBook. The QNX-powered Storm is rumored to launch in the first half of next year."

Still a fail unless they release a 4G one and that wouldn't be this year.
    10-14-10 11:54 AM
    I'm going out on a limb and calling PURE BS! If it turns out I'm wrong, I'm going to ditch BB.
    Last edited by dave1812; 10-14-10 at 12:11 PM.
    10-14-10 12:00 PM
    I'm going out on a limb and calling PURE BS! If it turns out I'm wrong, I'm going to ditch BB.
    I won't call it "PURE BS," but certainly 90%!
    10-14-10 12:13 PM
    I won't call it "PURE BS," but certainly 90%!
    You are prolly right, but judging from the info in the entire article (and I use the term "info" loosely, I think it's pretty much wild conjecture as far as the Storm is concerned. The part about the Playbook seems plausible, as RIM had already said they would be doing a 3G and 4G version (as if ANY mfgr wouldn't be switching over to 4G!)

What I would LIKE/HOPE to see in the next gen Storm is:

1. 1GB mem and a minimum 1Ghz processor

2. great high contrast screen similar to what we have now (deep black levels), but either 3.7" or 4"

3. QNX talk has piqued my interest so much, I think it would likely be an improvement over the BB OS's

4. keep Surepress, or I'm bolting to something different. I HATE, HATE, HATE non-feedback screens.
    Last edited by dave1812; 10-14-10 at 12:21 PM.
    10-14-10 12:16 PM
    You are prolly right, but judging from the info in the entire article (and I use the term "info" loosely, I think it's pretty much wild conjecture as far as the Storm is concerned. The part about the Playbook seems plausible, as RIM had already said they would be doing a 3G and 4G version (as if ANY mfgr wouldn't be switching over to 4G!)
    What bothers me so much about the Playbook is they announced it so early, and it won't even be out for the holidays?? What is with RIM? Another poor marketing miscue that is going to upset even more followers...I realize they wanted to officially "get the word out," but coming out with it so early when they can't deliver looks bad in my book.
    10-14-10 12:23 PM
    10-14-10 12:24 PM

What I would LIKE/HOPE to see in the next gen Storm is:

1. 1GB mem and a minimum 1Ghz processor

2. great high contrast screen similar to what we have now (deep black levels), but either 3.7" or 4"

3. QNX talk has piqued my interest so much, I think it would likely be an improvement over the BB OS's

4. keep Surepress, or I'm bolting to something different. I HATE, HATE, HATE non-feedback screens.
    That's essentially what Sal posted months ago, with the exception of #3; he said it would have its own device-specific version of OS6. Might be that it's actually QNX, and if so that would fit still with his prediction. Not sure about #2, I don't quite remember if he mentioned anything about how the screen would look off the top of my head.
    10-14-10 01:49 PM
    Per that article:"The confusion surrounding the alleged cancellation, the firm believes, came about because there are three different models of the Storm 3 floating around: a haptic touch version (which has been canceled), a non-haptic touch with "more memory, and [BlackBerry 6]" which will be released in November, and an entirely new Storm with a "new iPhone-like form factor, but slimmer," which is said to be running the same QNX software found on the PlayBook. The QNX-powered Storm is rumored to launch in the first half of next year."

Still a fail unless they release a 4G one and that wouldn't be this year.
    I don't get where the op is getting No Sure Press... It says (in red) hapic touch version has been cancelled... That is the fake vibrating feedback every other touch screen has... It doesn't even address Sure Press in the comment on the "entirely new Storm" running QNX and says (in green) that the S2 Refresh is a go...

I call BS!
    10-14-10 02:08 PM
    I don't get where the op is getting No Sure Press... It says (in red) hapic touch version has been cancelled... That is the fake vibrating feedback every other touch screen has... It doesn't even address Sure Press in the comment on the "entirely new Storm" running QNX and says (in green) that the S2 Refresh is a go...

I call BS!
    I noticed that too--"haptic" is not a description of SurePress. Haptic screens rely on vibration (at least all the ones I've ever tried). Our S2 screen REALLY MOVE--no "fake out" like haptic screens.
    10-14-10 02:15 PM
    I just went limp at the thought of no SurePress.

As far as haptic feedback goes, I've seen that term incorrectly used many times to describe SurePress, so what these "writers" (and I use the term loosely) are, indeed, referring to is SurePress. Hopefully they are wrong, just like they are most of the time!

I only see three potential advantages to getting rid of SurePress. One is to make the phone more thin, one is to save weight, and the other is to make room for a larger battery or other goodies. But, making the phone thinner isn't an advantage to everyone...I actually like them thicker, as they are easier to hold that way.
    10-14-10 04:28 PM
    I just went limp at the thought of no SurePress.

As far as haptic feedback goes, I've seen that term incorrectly used many times to describe SurePress, so what these "writers" (and I use the term loosely) are, indeed, referring to is SurePress. Hopefully they are wrong, just like they are most of the time!

I only see three potential advantages to getting rid of SurePress. One is to make the phone more thin, one is to save weight, and the other is to make room for a larger battery or other goodies. But, making the phone thinner isn't an advantage to everyone...I actually like them thicker, as they are easier to hold that way.
    That's what she said.
    10-14-10 05:14 PM
    Too late for me.
    I bought a DX. The killer is if the screen isn't a 3.7 or 4; what's the point?
    I'm loving my DX. My wife still likes her BB S1. I can't even give her my S2.
    She likes the S1 screen and doesn't like my S2 because sh says the screen is too stiff. Go figure??

Anyway. Too l8 for me, but not the wife.
    10-14-10 06:02 PM
    That's what she said.
    Bwaa haaa haa haaa!!!! Priceless....

Look, if they say one version has haptic feedback and another will not have haptic feedback, I have to assume they mean surepress. Rim doesn't even offer a vibrate haptic mode for even the Torch. The only reason to distinguish this would be to decifer surepress, or no surepress, as always debated.

I just want OS6, and I don't want to move to AT&T to do so...
    10-14-10 06:51 PM
    I hope they do not get rid of surepress. It makes clicking links to sites so much easier. I just wish Bolt/Opera has surepess instead of touch screen.
    10-14-10 11:29 PM
    I wished Bolt and Opera was better optimized for the Storm.
    10-14-10 11:41 PM
    If we had a browser that combined all their good points with none of the bad I'd be happy. >.<

I wished Bolt and Opera was better optimized for the Storm.
    10-14-10 11:48 PM
    It seems to me that most of these...writers, in their dissmissive attitudes towards the Storm2, rarely know to any degree of competence any of the particulars of the device. As was stated earlier, the RIM, to my knowleage, has never had a haptic screen on any of their devices, and for this writer to throw that term in an essay refering to a BlackBerry device makes me doubt what he has to say almost entirely. I, for one, am a huge fan of SUREPRESS, and would NOT look forward to a Storm without it.
    10-15-10 12:03 AM
    It seems to me that most of these...writers, in their dissmissive attitudes towards the Storm2, rarely know to any degree of competence any of the particulars of the device. As was stated earlier, the RIM, to my knowleage, has never had a haptic screen on any of their devices, and for this writer to throw that term in an essay refering to a BlackBerry device makes me doubt what he has to say almost entirely. I, for one, am a huge fan of SUREPRESS, and would NOT look forward to a Storm without it.
    +1000
    Surepress rocks. I have a touch screen Samsung and use it only to make and receive calls. Typing on it just sucks!

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    10-15-10 05:27 AM
    Ummm I used to think that I needed surepress. Then for fun, I tried "typing" on my s2 without it (just touching the keys) and noticed that I was just as fast and accurate. Then I tried typing on my dads iphone and noticed the same thing.

This was my first touch screen phone. At first I couldn't see how people could do it, but I guess surepress taught me how to be accurate. I no longer need it. Given this fact, I'm less loyal to my storm 2 and blackberry in general. I'll still give them a fair chance because I like the things that blackberry does so easily that get complicated or don't work as good on other phones, but i'll be looking at other platforms as well for my next phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-15-10 08:29 AM
    I must say, I'm confused as to what the Storm3 actually is, because so far I've read about three different devices and the tag "Storm 3" applied to each at one time or another...

1. A device that is basically the Storm 2 + memory upgrade to 512 + 5mp camera + OS6

2. A touch screen device like the Torch minus the slide out physical qwerty keyboard. (like THIS device?)

3. The device that Salomondrin?? posted back in late June? saying it would have 1ghz processor, 8gig internal memory, 512meg or 1gig of flash memory, and "gonna be running on an OS of its own"

Will the real storm 3 please stand up?

Is #1 the Storm Refresh? Is #2 the Storm3? Is the 9570 the Storm3 or Storm Refresh? Is only one canceled and the other coming?

Now bring in the article in the original post, which appears to be based off-> BlackBerry Storm 3, PlayBook Tablet to Give RIM a Boost: Analysts - Mobile and Wireless from eWeek I'm even more confused...

If that speculation is accurate, then there was a Storm3 device like the Torch (but without slide out physical keyboard) on tap which was canceled (possibly the device I call out as #2 above?), And the device that is basically the Storm 2 + more memory + higher MP camera + OS6 is still coming in late Nov?

And the "iPhone-like form factor" possibly running QNX device would likely go along with what Salomondrin?? posted back in late June?
    10-15-10 09:06 AM
    I think there is confusion between the Storm 2 Refresh and the Storm 3. I believe the Storm 2 Refresh was the phone that got the axe. There just isnt a point to releasing that phone.

The actual storm three I think is still in the works. If they get rid of the surepress I will be extremely happy and it may even keep me with blackberry another year. Supposedly, my company is offering iPhones in the next few months, but I refuse to switch to AT&T. So unless the iPhone comes out on VZ, I may just upgrade to the Storm 3
    10-15-10 09:32 AM
    I must say, I'm confused as to what the Storm3 actually is,
    If that speculation is accurate,
    In my eyes you have answered your own question. Everything is speculation based on 'very little' OR 'zero' fact. RIM lovers are constantly trying to predict the future on no information. If these people are that psychic, then why are they not all winning the lottery each week?

10-15-10 10:46 AM
    Ummm I used to think that I needed surepress. Then for fun, I tried "typing" on my s2 without it (just touching the keys) and noticed that I was just as fast and accurate. Then I tried typing on my dads iphone and noticed the same thing.

This was my first touch screen phone. At first I couldn't see how people could do it, but I guess surepress taught me how to be accurate. I no longer need it. Given this fact, I'm less loyal to my storm 2 and blackberry in general. I'll still give them a fair chance because I like the things that blackberry does so easily that get complicated or don't work as good on other phones, but i'll be looking at other platforms as well for my next phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I share the same experience as you. I almost swore I'd never have a touch screen phone, because I tried typing on some and I end up walking away frustrated.

Until the day I got my S2, which surprised me that I could type just as fast if not faster than my qwerty BB. I also thought that if I tried typing on an iPhone, I would still be doing slow-mo. To my surprise, just yesterday I tried and found that my fingers were pretty agile on it and I could tap really fast to get out a message. Only thing is, I have to look at the screen to type, and I get about half of my messages with typos. It may go away with extended usage, but I'm sure thankful SurePress made it possible for me.
    10-15-10 11:04 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD