I get on the internet when traveling by tethering my blackberry storm2 to my computer. I wanted to be able to share the connection with my spouse so we would not have to take turns.

I tried a cradlepoint router with a USB connection but cradlepoint is not supporting the storm2 yet. It would have worked if it was a first generation storm.

I have these two questions:

1. The first is whether anyone is aware of a router that will work with the storm2. Cradlepoint now tells me that they have none yet. (best buy gave me incorrect information)

2. The next question is if there is no router that will accept the tethered blackberry, is there another way to network the two computers. I know very little about computers and when I read microsoft stuff on networking I am just confused.

It seems like there are two options, one is to tether the phone to my computer and hook up the router with an ethernet cable to my computer. I did this and the computer could see the router but could not connect. It asked for the router password, I entered it, but it would not work. I must be missing something. (EDIT: it took the password but then went to the cradlepoint router page and said there is no WAN connection.) ( I don't know what ports to connect the ethernet cable to on the router. The blue or the orange?)

The other option is skipping the router and cabling the two computers together. I don't know how to do that at all.

Any help from anyone? Please, I know little computer or phone lingo so if you could "talk down" to me it would help.

Martha
    Last edited by marthaduluth; 06-17-10 at 06:03 PM.
    06-17-10 05:40 PM
    all u need to do is use Connectify! It's free and installs on the PC that you tether. It only works with Win 7 however. I tried it--it works.
    06-17-10 05:44 PM
    Have windows 7 on only one of my machines. Does that matter? Never heard of connectify.
    06-17-10 06:34 PM
    Have windows 7 on only one of my machines. Does that matter? Never heard of connectify.
    google is your friend.

Win 7 only has to be on the PC that u install connectify on.
    06-17-10 06:51 PM
    What a PITA. Everything I try does not work. I downloaded connectify on the Win7 machine while it was hooked to a dsl connection. I could use that machine as a hotspot with my other machines. No problem, it worked great.

I then put vz access manager on the win 7 machine and tethered the blackberry. (dsl disconnected). I could get on the internet with Win 7 machine. But I could not get on with the other machines. The "hotspot" appeared as a connection choice. I could connect to the hotspot but the connection was local only, no internet.

Sometimes the connection showed "local and Internet" but the internet still didn't work and the "internet" wording would disappear with the connection showing as local only most of the time.

Any ideas?

I found nothing on the connectify website.
    06-17-10 08:53 PM
    What a PITA. Everything I try does not work. I downloaded connectify on the Win7 machine while it was hooked to a dsl connection. I could use that machine as a hotspot with my other machines. No problem, it worked great.

I then put vz access manager on the win 7 machine and tethered the blackberry. (dsl disconnected). I could get on the internet with Win 7 machine. But I could not get on with the other machines. The "hotspot" appeared as a connection choice. I could connect to the hotspot but the connection was local only, no internet.

Sometimes the connection showed "local and Internet" but the internet still didn't work and the "internet" wording would disappear with the connection showing as local only most of the time.

Any ideas?

I found nothing on the connectify website.

I initially had trouble with Connectify too, but it was user error, and since it's been a few months that I used it (I only tried it out for a brief time to see if it would be viable when I went on vacation with a netbook), I don't recall the specifics of the user error. It SEEMED like the program was crap, but it was just me. Once I realized my mistake, it worked fine.
    06-17-10 09:37 PM
    Well, I can't figure out what the user error would be. I emailed connectify.

Anyone have any other ideas for networking these computers, and getting the internet to all of them?
    06-17-10 10:09 PM
    Well, I can't figure out what the user error would be. I emailed connectify.

Anyone have any other ideas for networking these computers, and getting the internet to all of them?
    good luck--I feel bad that I can't recall what mistake I made when I first started using Connectify, but of course my mistake is probably unrelated to the issues you are having.
    06-18-10 12:00 AM
    Set up and ad-hoc network and you should be able to share the internet connection. I'm not sure if DM will pick it up or not, but some wireless cards will not let you have 2 comps (2 different IPs) connected at once. I would guess the phone would be the same way but it is worth a shot.
    06-18-10 12:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD