I was shocked, to say the least. I rolled back to .75 from .103 yesterday because of stability issues. I also sorta wanted my color depth to go back to the way it was. Not so fast, my friend!

How is it that rolling back to .75 (without a wipe, mind you) could yield these results? Very interesting. Any ideas?
    02-12-09 04:21 PM
    Can you show some captureit screen captures explaining what you are talking about as I do not see it.
    02-12-09 04:28 PM
    A lot of people have reported color depth issues...i personally haven't seen this issue. I will compare my phone to another soon so maybe I can be enlightened to what i'm missing.

Try doing it with a wipe and maybe you will see better results

edit: yeah, screen shots of the issue would be great.
    02-12-09 04:29 PM
    Still working on the screenshot thing but get this...

I went and re-sent all the wallpapers that I was having the issue with and guess what...the color depth issue was gone! Somehow, the background wallpaper files THEMSELVES were changed, not the way the device displays them.

I re-sent them to my Blackberry from the same exact source I got them from to begin with and the depth issue was nowhere to be found.
    02-12-09 06:47 PM
    good to know, thanks
    02-12-09 06:56 PM
    Best way to see color depth issue is to look at the blue rectangular highlight after hitting menu button. I used .75, .90, H1, H3, and now .103. This is the first OS I used that has this issue. It is glaringly different. Color gradients are in separate gradations rather than being smooth.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-12-09 08:17 PM
    It looks like it may have something to do with the fact that menus and the app switcher are now slightly transparent. I don't care for it - I don't think it adds anything other than making the UI slower.
    02-12-09 08:59 PM
    Yep, I wiped my phone with JL and when I reloaded an OS the ringtones / pictures didnt come back and my email settings were still there!

I wiped again and reinstalled from another computer and this didnt fix it either (was trying to bring back the ringtones as I was sending the phone back)
    02-12-09 09:45 PM
    Could it be that the phone stores a re-rendered version of the image as the wallpaper, and changing the source image results in the wallpaper image being redrawn, thus resulting in a band-less image?
    02-12-09 10:08 PM
    Best way to see color depth issue is to look at the blue rectangular highlight after hitting menu button. I used .75, .90, H1, H3, and now .103. This is the first OS I used that has this issue. It is glaringly different. Color gradients are in separate gradations rather than being smooth.

What he/she said, but a slight correction. Both leaked versions of .99 AND .103 have this color depth issue.
    02-12-09 10:12 PM
    Have used leaked .83, .86, .90, and now .99 on both mine and my wife's phones and haven't experienced any of these coloring issues at all.

02-13-09 01:10 AM
    Could it be that the phone stores a re-rendered version of the image as the wallpaper, and changing the source image results in the wallpaper image being redrawn, thus resulting in a band-less image?
    I thought about that. So I tested it by sending an email with a few of the images attached to myself. Even when opening it on my desktop pc, the color depth issue was visable on the file. That's what clued me in to the fact that it was likely the file itself that had the problem.

02-13-09 03:03 AM
    Shouldn't you be losing to USC again in NCAA Football 09 TJ? LOL, I didn't know you had a Storm too.
    02-13-09 07:50 AM
    Rim sucks, you guys aren't alone
    .228 and .234 for the bold have some serious color issues, I didn't notice until I started playing woith my backgrounds. Def.wasn't like that on 216/214

02-13-09 07:57 AM
    I'm still running .76 and this is the main reason I have not made the jump to .99/.103

02-13-09 09:05 PM
    I'm still running .76 and this is the main reason I have not made the jump to .99/.103

I agree that's why I see no compelling reason to move to .103. Don't see this issue in 0.90 on my device, although a number of people have complained about 0.90, for me its running great - very fast, no transitions and snaps fast when switching between apps. Maybe try upgrading to 0.90.
    02-13-09 11:21 PM
    Shouldn't you be losing to USC again in NCAA Football 09 TJ? LOL, I didn't know you had a Storm too.
    LOL! Wudup Steve? Yeah, I've had one for about a month now. I love this thing!
    02-14-09 10:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD