Hey everyone, it's been a while since I've been back to my beloved Crackberry community. Big BB love to all you crackberry addicts!

Anyways here is my quick question:

My contract with Telus is nearing it's end, and I've been wondering if I should switch to Rogers or not. The cancellation fee is very minimal and if I were to cancel and buy a new phone with Rogers with a 1 year contract it would actually be cheaper than buying a new phone and staying with Telus.

I've been wondering if Rogers has the Storm 2 yet and if they do, do they support MMS (pic/vid texts) on their Storms? I think that's all that would make or break my change of carrier really, unless anyone has some good pros and cons for Telus and Rogers?? (Please post them here for me if you would be so kind).

P.S. I'm either marching into my local Telus or local Rogers store tomorrow (14/05/2010) and slapping down a fat wad of cash and getting my new phone (and possibly new contract) so quick responses would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance everyone
    05-13-10 07:49 PM
    P.S. I'm only interested in these 2, not Bell or any other Canadian carriers.
    05-13-10 08:18 PM
    Rogers doesn't have the Storm2 yet. The only new BB they're getting is the Pearl 9100. I bought my Telus 9550 and am using it on Rogers just fine though (except service book issues on each reboot). I haven't tried MMS yet, but everything appears to be in order. Personally, you may just be better off staying with Telus if you want the 9550. It would be far less of a hassle.

As for pros and cons of the two carriers, I can't say. I've never been on Telus. I wish I were on FIDO though. It's cheaper than Rogers at the expense of phone selection.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Masahiro; 05-13-10 at 08:31 PM.
    05-13-10 08:28 PM
    Telus disables MMS which is annoying because although most of my friends use BlackBerries, the ones I usually want to hear from (girls) do not. Also I heard rumors that the Storm 2 doesn't have a "clicky" screen anymore. Truth?
    05-13-10 08:32 PM
    Rogers does not have the Storm 2. Also it does not look to be coming to Rogers anytime soon.

You can unlock a Storm 2 and run it on Rogers EDGE network but you cannot get 3G speeds.
    I was with Rogers for six years and I hated every minute of it. Constant bill corrections and always being told different things by different reps just caused a lot of frustration. Not to mention the coverage is very poor on Rogers.

If I were you, I would stick to Telus. If you get a Telus phone that is on the new HSPA network you can send and receive MMS, but the phones that run on their EVDO network still cannot send or receive MMS. Telus has far superior coverage and customer service is much better in my experience with the two.

Just my thoughts on it
    05-13-10 08:33 PM
    I bought an unlocked Storm2 (verizon) that I use on Rogers. Just because my work phone was on Rogers (I just swapped out SIM cards).
    If I was just buying a personal phone, I would probably just get a Storm2 on Telus. Rogers is'nt bad, but it would probably just be less hassle to get a Storm2 on Telus or Bell.
    05-13-10 11:58 PM
    The Storm2 still has SurePress ("click screen"). I song see RIM changing that as its the signature feature of the Storm series.

05-14-10 01:14 AM
    Rogers does not have the Storm 2. Also it does not look to be coming to Rogers anytime soon.

You can unlock a Storm 2 and run it on Rogers EDGE network but you cannot get 3G speeds.
    I was with Rogers for six years and I hated every minute of it. Constant bill corrections and always being told different things by different reps just caused a lot of frustration. Not to mention the coverage is very poor on Rogers.

If I were you, I would stick to Telus. If you get a Telus phone that is on the new HSPA network you can send and receive MMS, but the phones that run on their EVDO network still cannot send or receive MMS. Telus has far superior coverage and customer service is much better in my experience with the two.

Just my thoughts on it
    Actually, it's ONLY Blackberries on the Telus network that don't have MMS. Other smartphones and dumbphones can do it. I don't believe all, but most.

05-14-10 01:24 AM
    Why not go with the 9700 on Telus, so you get the benefits of the new HSPA network ? the 9550 is great, but only running on CDMA... your paying for data anyways, why not get the faster data?
    05-14-10 02:53 AM
    It's barely faster. 3.whatever mbps compared to what, 2 on CDMA?
    05-20-10 08:02 AM
    Not to mention the coverage is very poor on Rogers.
    Think it depends where you live. in QUE Rogers has, by far, the best coverage I've had (been on all 4 major carriers at one point or another).

Would say they're all evil and offer absurd rates, but Rogers has been the best for me. IMO
    05-20-10 08:41 AM
    This is all relative, as it is from anecdotal experience, and I've heard people say quite the opposite...

in MY experience, Rogers are complete and utter crooks. They should be called Robbers. I was with Rogers for years when I had a "dumbphone", my family had them for landline, internet, cable, and our mobile phones. Despite this we consistently experienced VERY poor customer support (reps once told my dad that our malfunctioning cable was "not their problem", meanwhile tech guy comes a few days later and fully tells us it was a technical issue on their end), they would constantly shut off our internet saying we had a virus and that it was a "threat" to their network despite me formatting and scanning my computer multiple times and they still wouldn't enable it ...

As for their mobile service, they never inform you if you go over your minutes and just let the bill rack up. I am always diligent in tracking my minutes but I've seen Rogers send $1000+ bills to friends on more than one occasion. Really what turned me off is their customer service. It feels like they are getting too big and don't really care about their customers. In contrast I've had very, very good experience with Telus. Customer service is spectacular and I haven't had any issues with signal etc. They also took $50 off my Tour if my pops would sign a contract with them, lol (he was looking to move from Rogers anyway, so worked for both of us). Not bad, IMO...
    05-20-10 09:37 AM
    Think it depends where you live. in QUE Rogers has, by far, the best coverage I've had (been on all 4 major carriers at one point or another).
    You're probably in a major city, I'd imagine? The coverage maps speak for themselves. Telus / Bells CDMA blows every other network in the country out of the water at 93% coverage. Even their 3G+ coverage is slightly higher than Rogers whole 2G + 3G networks.

I mean I don't have a problem with any carrier (including Wind) because I live so close to Toronto, we get top notch coverage in this area, so their all comparable coverage-wise, but for those not in my situation, it's what works, right.
    05-20-10 10:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD