So I finally had enough with the Storm and decided to cancel my entire service with Verizon because they wouldn't swap me out to another phone. I called VZW to cancel, told the guy my situation and that I had no other choice but to cancel my service. He put me on hold and came back about 2 min later and said he processed my cancellation. I asked about the early termination fee and he told me not to worry about it and that I wouldn't need to pay it. I was pleasantly surprised. I promptly went to Tmo and got a 8900 which by the way is awesome.

Anyways, a week later I wanted to see if they processed my cancellation. I was able to log into VZW and it still showed my account as active. I emailed the support people and they came back saying it was due to cancel this week and that I was going to be subject to an early termination fee. Long story short, we went back and forth and they refused to honor what I was told. I am basically forced to pay it so it won't mess up my credit. Overall, I think that is pretty scummy of VZW.
    06-16-09 06:35 PM
    And why would you not get that in writing, if in fact it is true?

Furthermore, there are certain stipulations that must be met to swap to a different device, YOU need to play by THEIR rules; and if you go thru enough devices; they WILL change your device type.... But ONLY if you've already gone thru the requsite number of FRUs..... It was YOUR choice not to play by the rules, YOU are responsible for the ETF, IMHO.... It was WRONG of the VZW rep to tell you otherwise, but since you apparently got NOTHING in writing, i'm finding it hard to sympathize.
    06-16-09 06:41 PM
    I understand the hoops you have go through, but I don't have time to keep testing their phone, that is why I decided to cancel. If I have to get it in writing for them to honor what they tell me, it further validates that VZW is not for me.
    06-16-09 06:44 PM
    BTW - what is up with all the caps? You work for VZW don't you?
    06-16-09 06:50 PM
    They first guy who said that was an *****. Cell phone companies make you sign a 2yr contract and paying an early termination fee is one of clauses. But yeah if he said it, he needs to honor it. Basically, **** happens!

wow crackberry censored out idi.ot
    06-16-09 06:52 PM
    I understand how you would be upset if told something by CSR, and it did not happen. But like the OP said, when it comes to ETF being waived you need to get something in writing. Have them send you a email for your records to prove what they said. Make sure a manager signed off on it and it is noted to the account. Now on the other hand, you cannot be too mad at Verizon. You signed a two year agreement. You agreed to the terms of that contract including the ETF. You broke that contract and are subject to the ETF. Like the OP stated, if you play by the carriers rules they will offer you a different device. Its the carriers game and you have to play by their terms. Or in the end...you loose everytime. And the grass is not greener on the other side. You may have a device you like better and that's all good. But in the end if it screws up you will still have to play by your new carriers rules. And their contract terms and if you cancel with them you will still be subject to their ETF's.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-16-09 07:11 PM
    Sell the storm and use that $ to pay the ETF.
    06-16-09 07:17 PM
    Exactly. Took the words right out my mouth. Shouldn't be hard to get 175 for a Storm.
    06-16-09 07:48 PM
    Heck.. bring it to Verizon and make THEM sign a 2-YR. contract.
    06-16-09 07:59 PM
    BTW - what is up with all the caps? You work for VZW don't you?
    Not unless Schenectady County Community College is somehow affiliated with VZW. Basically, point is, most of these VZW folks don't know WTF they are talking about, and simply will tell you what you want to hear. You almost HAVE to get it in writing. Remember, it's the VZW folks that can't even keep up on Storm OS releases, and when asked make up a BS number and release date instead of just admitting the release date is unknown. The VZW employee who offered to waive the ETF obviously did you wrong; however, unless he/she was a higher up; they likely didn't even have the authority to make that offer. I say get it in writing, as right now it's your word against theirs. Also, don't forget; sometimes if you call customer service and don't like the answer they give you, a second call to a different rep, and calmly re-explaining your story can go a long way.

EDIT: What GIXXERJOE said is correct. Basically, the contract you sign is a legal document, and overrides anything told to you word of mouth. Unfortunately, simply being told the ETF is waived likely isn't sufficient to override the contract.
    Last edited by Dave12308; 06-17-09 at 12:09 AM.
    06-17-09 12:07 AM
    I understand the hoops you have go through, but I don't have time to keep testing their phone, that is why I decided to cancel. If I have to get it in writing for them to honor what they tell me, it further validates that VZW is not for me.
    What Dave12308 said in his post above is exactly true. The only legal thing that is in effect is the 2 year contract you signed with Verizon. Any deviation from that contract has to be expressly presented in writing to make that deviation valid.

Why do you think that when Verizon makes a change to their plan stipulations, they mail you an update of that plan and allow you to voice your concerns? If you cancel T-Mobile and the CSR there says that he'll waive the ETF, you'll have to get that in writing as well.

In short, it's not that Verizon sucks or T-Mobile sucks, or AT&T sucks. It's a legal contractual matter irrelevant of what carrier you pick.

As Dave12308 said, you failed to get evidence of the CSR saying he'll waive your ETF. The only evidence here is that contract you signed when you got the phone. The rest is your word against theirs.
    06-17-09 12:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD