Just read a couple of articles that both showed how RIM's share of the Smartphone market has slipped a little from last year. They are still at #2, but Apple is gaining..

Motorola & HTC both makers of ANDROID products have increased their marketshare, but are still way behind the top three. Nokia, RIM and Apple..

One mentioned that RIMs business phones were not appealing to the consumer market. I pretty much agree, but maybe RIM does not care about increasing marketshare. They might be happy with just doing smartphones for the business minded. And have deiced to leave all the "fun stuff" to Apple and Android....
    05-07-10 09:13 AM
    Haha - get it on fanboys. I truly hope that RIM will suffer for all its greed. Do you have any idea how many of us have switched to the Incredible in the past 2 weeks? Their forums on androidcentral are basically 2/3rds former Storm1/Storm2 people!!!
    05-10-10 07:25 PM
    Haha - get it on fanboys. I truly hope that RIM will suffer for all its greed. Do you have any idea how many of us have switched to the Incredible in the past 2 weeks? Their forums on androidcentral are basically 2/3rds former Storm1/Storm2 people!!!
    So YOU'RE to blame?
    05-10-10 07:29 PM
    So YOU'RE to blame?
    Never said that. I just wasn't expecting as big of a tidal wave! It's awesome though - your BIS must be working much better now that all these people have dropped CrapBerry!
    05-10-10 07:34 PM
    Don't get confused... RIM share of the total smartphone market may have slipped a little. But the smartphone market is growing at a phenomenal rate, so RIMs sale are still increasing from one quarter to the next. As is the number of phones using the BIS Network.

But that said, they do have some competition now. And one of the biggest selling types of smartphones is the touchscreen devices. RIM has yet to really provide a device that takes full advantage of a touchscreen. They are still trying to use their old OS platform and icons, instead of optimized the OS to work with gestures and widget like most of the newer touchscreens do.

At one time RIM was a leader (or just the only guy on the smartphone road)... just seems like they haven't notice that everyone else is going in a different direction now...

Google is GOING to continue to continue to nibble away at RIM share of the smartphone pie. But like them or not, if Verizon gets the iPhone LTE... Apple is going to gobble up almost the whole pie. Sure there are folks that would not have an iPhone if it was giving to them, but they are a very small minority.
    05-11-10 10:38 AM
    I started a thread a few months ago that I think RIM will start to lose market share this year as other platforms like Android start to offer some real competition. Of course all the BB Fanboys flamed me. How things have changed in such a short amount of time. BB hate is now rampant on this BB Fanboy forum.
    I think everyone except the hardcore business users are tired of RIM's outdated OS and each "new" phone being the same as all the previous models.

BTW, I love Apple products, but I am so happy with my Incredible, that I don't think I would switch to an iPhone even if it were free. Stupid move Jobs in staying married to ATT for so long.
    05-16-10 09:59 AM
    . Stupid move Jobs in staying married to ATT for so long.
    Yeah I really don't see any positive reason for Apple to stick with AT&T for so long... while I do hear complaints about the iPhone on a BB forum quite a bit, in the real world the only complaints from my friends that have had iPhones is the service from AT&T. While not in a large city, this area is no small backwater either, but AT&T coverage is very spotting even on some of the major roadways... never mind in neighborhoods.

If Apple had allowed VERIZON to have the iPhone... there never would have been much of a discussion about the STORM, because 70% of the people that bought it, really wanted an iPhone. Now even if they do come to VERIZON, there is some strong competition from ANDROID and RIM in the touchscreen smartphone market (Palm & Windows are down, but don't count them OUT just yet)
    05-18-10 02:52 PM
    If Apple had allowed VERIZON to have the iPhone... there never would have been much of a discussion about the STORM, because 70% of the people that bought it, really wanted an iPhone.
    Maybe 70% of the people you know but not 70% of the storm owners at large.

If I had to hazard a guess I would say perhaps more children would like an iphone than a storm... But then again that is as much a guess as saying 70% of everybody .

By the way, the droid is apparently whipping the iphone in the market so if there were any preference I would say that was a better candidate. The iphone simply has too many limitations for the taste of today's more nature and discriminating consumer.

At one time RIM was a leader (or just the only guy on the smartphone road)... just seems like they haven't notice that everyone else is going in a different direction now...
    I agree with this poster 100%. Proof is that RIM's latest claim to fame in a very competitive market is the re released a phone they already market.... And also have done so in a new color (???).

I think they have dropped the ball and need to fire their entire marketing division. Somebody isn't telling the joes in power there that the consumer has moved on and is demanding more. RIM is also patting itself on the back for stuff not even released yet (tablets and OS's, etc) that, when released, will already be behind what is currently offered by the competition.

My $.02; rim needs to wake up and smell the coffee, get back in the game before they find they have been left at the bus stop.

Hoorah, another Pearl? geez.....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by kb5zht; 05-20-10 at 05:26 AM.
    05-20-10 05:17 AM
    By the way, the droid is apparently whipping the iphone in the market so if there were any preference I would say that was a better candidate. The iphone simply has too many limitations for the taste of today's more nature and discriminating consumer.
    The numbers in the report did not show anything about DROID "whipping" the iPhone. Both APPLE and ANDROID market-share increased..... whereas Nokia and RIM's market-share decreased.
    05-20-10 08:29 AM
    RIM's growth in sales tells me they aren't worried about anything... Let alone the response from 2 or 3 disgruntled ex owners on an internet forum.

Reality: 1

Mudpud: Zero

05-20-10 08:44 AM
    RIM's growth in sales tells me they aren't worried about anything...
    No I'm sure RIM is happy with the increase in sales over the last year...

But I'm SURE that RIM is concern that while their sales increased, the sales of others manufactures increased at a greater rate... that is ok if it only happens every now and then. But if the trend continues...

Apple continues to take a bite out of the smartphone pie (that RIM a few years ago dominated), ANDROID is a fairly new competitor and still quite small in comparison, but with 700% increase in one year - I'm sure RIM is a little concerned.
    05-22-10 12:54 PM
    I think the company that manufactured my TV made some money too. I feel good about that.

05-22-10 11:20 PM
    RIM is exerting a ton of resources to get more into the consumer market. The S3 will be pivotal in that effort. If it is still lightyears behind the rest...

05-23-10 04:15 PM
    No I'm sure RIM is happy with the increase in sales over the last year...

But I'm SURE that RIM is concern that while their sales increased, the sales of others manufactures increased at a greater rate...
    I doubt that either; looking at sales growth as a percentage , mathmatically it is more difficult to increase the same amount if the previous sales are already large.

Put another way; if company X sells 100 widgets, selling an extra 100 the next year means they doubled their sales (100% sales growth). Company Y on the other hand sells 100,000 widgets; if they increase their sales by 100, their sales growth is only .1%.

Would you say that the company that sold 200 widgets outperformed the company that sold 100,100 widgets in year 2, because it increased sales by 100% vs. Company Y's .1%?

I think rim is doing fine for now... I simply think they are enjoyong brand name loyalty right now and that is carrying them at the moment. Yes, rim should be nervous, since the only bone they can throw at the consumer is a previous product with a new paint job. (?!?!) Consumers are more demanding now than they ever have been. They better get with it.

And by the way, I don't want to see videos of future devices that show cgi mock-ups and other dazzling special effects and diamond-studed promises.

Let's see some products on the sales shelf.

05-23-10 06:52 PM
    05-28-10 08:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD