This is a general question regarding past RIM updates. I know RIM obviously patches and Verizon releases when they want...
    With past Blackberry devices on the Verizon Network, is there a pattern of release dates? Quarterly? Every Four months? No pattern at all?

I just can't imagine all of these official RIM updates not being officially released through Verizon... The last update was almost two months ago for a buggy phone.

Before you flame, I didn't mean to start a thread about why Verizon is not releasing any of these RIM patches... I'm just curious because I never owned a Blackberry before.
    02-11-09 04:16 PM
    They get released when the carrier deems the OS builds bug-free and feature-rich to the point that they want. Considering that VZW/RIM caught a lot of flack about the Storm's OS stability and performance on the first two releases, you can bet they won't release the next OS until it's further along then .75 was. To date, nothing short of .99 was there and even so, it had some issues. Supposedly there's a tentative end release window of March, which means that it should be out by then. People were speculating mid Feb, but we'll see how that goes.
    02-11-09 04:40 PM
    They get released when the carrier deems the OS builds bug-free and feature-rich to the point that they want. Considering that VZW/RIM caught a lot of flack about the Storm's OS stability and performance on the first two releases, you can bet they won't release the next OS until it's further along then .75 was. To date, nothing short of .99 was there and even so, it had some issues. Supposedly there's a tentative end release window of March, which means that it should be out by then. People were speculating mid Feb, but we'll see how that goes.
    Couldn't have said it better. Grazie, civic.
    02-11-09 04:44 PM
    Would be good if a question mark could be inserted at the beginning of this thread so to be clearer that this was a question rather than the actual release of the Verizon update
    02-11-09 04:46 PM
    Would be good if a question mark could be inserted at the beginning of this thread so to be clearer that this was a question rather than the actual release of the Verizon update
    Typed quick and forgot the ??? sorry

Supposedly there's a tentative end release window of March, which means that it should be out by then. People were speculating mid Feb, but we'll see how that goes.
    Sounds like it could be as part of the Storefront release? Thanks for the in depth answer JRS...
    02-11-09 04:54 PM
    I talked to tech support and they said Vzw officially said they would have one out by the end of 1st q, i.e. March.
    02-11-09 05:06 PM
    Its the carriers responsibility not RIMs. And carriers tend to take their time on officials.
    02-11-09 05:06 PM
    I talked to a Verizon rep yesterday (they're replacing my phone...yet again) and she said that .85 was going to be the official release. She didn't really understand why I was laughing so hard. I finally told her I certainly hope .85 isn't the official release cause it's really buggy and the Beta OS release is on .103. She seemed surprised by that so I'm guessing that for the moment the Verizon reps don't really know when/what OS is going to be officially released.
    02-12-09 08:33 AM
    Are you on drugs or something? That was WAY too tame for you!
    02-12-09 08:37 AM
    Another theory I have is that the official OS needs to upgrade flawlessly and seamlessly from 0.75. "Officially" people will be upgrading OTA from 0.75 to whatever the next official OS is. As it stands, I've had problems upgrading from one OS to another. For instance, upgrading directly from 0.86 to 0.99 caused the OS to be bug-ridden and it kept locking up. Then I did a BB wipe and reinstalled 0.99 and it was like a completely different OS, and the bugs were gone. So they need to make sure that there is a smooth transition from 0.75 to the new official OS...and it's not something that we really look at here with each new OS; we're not really concerned with upgrade smoothness, we're just looking at the OS independently.

So I bet this is an additional reason we haven't seen a new official OS yet.
    02-12-09 08:37 AM
    Another theory I have is that the official OS needs to upgrade flawlessly and seamlessly from 0.75. "Officially" people will be upgrading OTA from 0.75 to whatever the next official OS is. As it stands, I've had problems upgrading from one OS to another. For instance, upgrading directly from 0.86 to 0.99 caused the OS to be bug-ridden and it kept locking up. Then I did a BB wipe and reinstalled 0.99 and it was like a completely different OS, and the bugs were gone. So they need to make sure that there is a smooth transition from 0.75 to the new official OS...and it's not something that we really look at here with each new OS; we're not really concerned with upgrade smoothness, we're just looking at the OS independently.

So I bet this is an additional reason we haven't seen a new official OS yet.
    Unfortunately, you can't really say that for certain, unless you went back several times and loaded on .86 and updated to .99 to make sure that the results were reproducible.

Part of the upgrade process is that the old OS is blown away, and replaced with the new files. The difference between that and a complete wipe is that your preferences and other databases will be left on the phone.
    02-12-09 08:41 AM
    Who are you and what did you do with the real JRSCCivic?
    02-12-09 08:42 AM
    Are you on drugs or something? That was WAY too tame for you!
    I was thinking the same thing when I was scrolling down and saw who replied...
    02-12-09 03:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD