WOW... kinda glad I did get the Storm yet... I'm hearing too many horror stories.
    I was hesitant at first too.

Purchased 1 Storm, stuck with it, it's been flawless. Very happy.
    02-09-09 10:16 AM
    WOW... kinda glad I did get the Storm yet... I'm hearing too many horror stories.
    I hear ya...I'm glad I didn't get one as well. But I'm also thankful for the people who take the time to post about the problems they are experiencing with their phones; otherwise, I wouldn't have been able to make that informed decision.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-09-09 10:22 AM
    I hate to say it.

But if you've been thru 3 Storms and all 3 have been faulty, user error is the only common link between all 3.
    Well, there's a few more common threads here. RIM, Verizon, and the 9530.
    02-09-09 10:40 AM
    The Storm is far from a polished product, .75 is dog slow and bordering on unusable for me, .99 is faster but requires battery pulls. Even if .99 was rock solid, there is still light years to go before I would recommend this product, buyer beware.
    02-09-09 10:52 AM
    Well, there's a few more common threads here. RIM, Verizon, and the 9530.
    1. I'm not sure how you blame the Verizon network for the OP's woes.

2. RIM quality control? Very possible. But again, you'd have to be very fortunate to receive 3 malfunctioning devices in a row.

In the end, if the OP finds it unreliable (and has gone thru 3 and has given it an honest effort), it's time to move on to a device that actually works for him or her. Sorry it wasn't the Storm.
    02-09-09 10:58 AM
    1. I'm not sure how you blame the Verizon network for the OP's woes.
    Verizon was involved with the release of the 9530, no?

2. RIM quality control? Very possible. But again, you'd have to be very fortunate to receive 3 malfunctioning devices in a row.
    There have been several instances of people replacing their 9530 several times before getting one they consider is not a dud. Is it the norm? No. There have also been several instances of phones not behaving at all the same. Some work great, others do not. Quality control does appear to be an issue in my opinion. Remember the screens that wouldn't click around the edges, the buttons that fell off within days of purchase, and who could forget .65?

In the end, if the OP finds it unreliable (and has gone thru 3 and has given it an honest effort), it's time to move on to a device that actually works for him or her. Sorry it wasn't the Storm.
    What kind of user error causes the phone not to respond to button pushes and then lock up after the battery pull? I guess you could say the user error was the original purchase...but that's probably not what you were getting at?
    02-09-09 02:13 PM
    Verizon was involved with the release of the 9530, no?
    I don't recall them making the devices
    02-09-09 02:33 PM
    I don't recall them making the devices
    So you think rushing to market had nothing to do with VZW?
    02-09-09 02:53 PM
    There is enough blame to go around. The resposibility does not lie solely on RIM. Verizon is just as reponsible.

But these 2 companies are in bed together so this is what we ended up with.

Sh*t rolls downhill.

02-09-09 03:08 PM
    who cares. the phones released. theres nothing we can do. if you have it, you gotta wait for it to get polished or return it. theres no point in debating whose to blame for the phones condition.
    02-09-09 03:56 PM
    Coming from a guy who presummably owns a Jeep...you should be used to unreliable equipment

J/k, sorry to hear of your issues though, I'd be pissed too.
    02-09-09 07:04 PM
    LOL Touche' sir...still this phone is out of control at this point.
    02-09-09 07:12 PM
    Coming from a guy who presummably owns a Jeep...you should be used to unreliable equipment
    heh heh heh

Low blow!
    02-09-09 07:24 PM
    can't blame the op for feeling like he does. at least he has a storm and has put some effort into getting it to work.

i like my storm a lot and i'm still on my original device, BUT as it stands today i could not recommend one to colleague or friend in good conscience without a very adamant "work in progress" disclaimer. the 'official' os releases are booty imo, and there is some legitimacy to hardware quality concerns with the dust and screen click issues others have had. if the os wasn't so finicky the hardware issues wouldn't be as much of an issue. all my previous bbs had dust or buttons that fell off or the speaker died or scroll wheel came off the hinges...basically something hardware related at some point in time. so hardware quality hasn't always been rim's strong suit, but os stability has..at least in my experience compared to the storm.

to be honest i haven't experienced "teething issues" like this with any other rim device i've used in the past 4 years. i'll give them some credit since this is their first shot at a touchscreen device, but right now it's it's just too rough around the edges. the next official os could change the game, but we'll see.
    02-09-09 09:50 PM
    Wow.. this feels like... home...

I'm getting misty... Hug?

Ok not really...

The main choices remain the same...

1. Wait it out
    2. Don't wait it out
    3. Some other third thing...

I vote for 3.
    02-09-09 09:59 PM
    OP I feel your pain. To those who say "Suck it up" or make excuses for RIM I call BS. I expected more from RIM and even the CEO has some cop out line. RIM better adapt their dev model or someone will knock them off the hill. They can't continue to ride the corporate gravy train on ****y SW.

02-10-09 05:39 AM
    well my 8830 did about the same thing this week. i uninstalled Slacker and that fix-it..
    My storm did many many things way faster than a 1 yr old 8830 but the ui isn't a refined as a BB should be. I still don't know who thinks a BB is and entertainment Phone. It can do so much more if you want it to.
    02-10-09 06:07 AM
    Have you all tried .99? Its a much better OS

02-10-09 06:27 AM

thats what i am on...i have tried all of them...even went back to .75 and was ready to make it a frisbie
    02-10-09 06:42 AM
    By the way...I have a new issue. It doesn't matter which pair of bluetooth headphones I use...when I am in the gym...they generally work ok...as soon as I step outside they skip non-stop....sucks when I go for a run..unbelievable.
    02-10-09 06:44 AM

Not necessarily, with .75 and tons of memory cleared, I've gotten both stability and snappiness.

We're talking a battery pull every 3 weeks, if that.
    02-10-09 06:55 AM
    By the way...I have a new issue. It doesn't matter which pair of bluetooth headphones I use...when I am in the gym...they generally work ok...as soon as I step outside they skip non-stop....sucks when I go for a run..unbelievable.
    Sorry but you've got to be cursed. I've got 3 bt devices paired with my Storm. 2 headsets and a FM transmitter for my work truck. I can tell you exactly when I have problems with bt with any of them and I expect it with all phones: When calls come in while the phone is connecting to bt.

2 Motorola devices: t505 (fm transmitter) and ht 820s (headsets). 1 Jabra: bt620s

You titled this thread questioning the reliablity of the device and RIM by extension. Your experiences are not the same as others, in fact running completely opposite from some people's (like myself). I've yet to hear of any issues with bluetooth other than people trying to figure out how to pair it with something.
    02-10-09 07:02 AM
    I too haven't had issues. Shameless plug: check out the Jawbone 2 review in the main Storm forum from yesterday. Well written and informative!

(I was planning on picking one up next and found it to be a good read)

Oh yeah, the author of that thread didn't have bluetooth issues either
    02-10-09 07:08 AM
    Hate to say it jeep but for the posters that said its time to move on to another phone are correct. It is pretty much luck of the draw when getting a fully functional Storm. Shouldn't be that way, but it is. Its sad too because the device's potential is endless. But by the time they finally tap into it, they'll have 3 new BBs available. 1 probably being the Storm/Bold hybrid. Another probably being the Storm 2. Who knows.

Sorry for your troubles buddy. But its time to say enough is enough.

For the rest of you that said anything other than what I stated earlier, shame on you.

02-10-09 10:11 AM
    With you 100 percent. I'm still on my first and love it to bits.
    02-11-09 05:57 PM
104 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD