Oh, and the in roads apple is making to enterprise is almost effortless. They are making minimal effort to court that sector and continally position the iPhone as a consumer product. Meanwhile RIM is spending buckets of money courting the consumer market, and losing market share with each quarter.

I hate to say it but of Apple made a converted effort to market to enterprise RIM would be hosed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    It clearly is not effortless. Where security is not a big issue, they can slip right in. Where security is a big issue it's another story.
    06-30-10 08:29 AM
    Not an IPhone fan, but VZ and Apple just announced VZ will release an IPhone in January of next year.
    06-30-10 03:13 PM
    Not an IPhone fan, but VZ and Apple just announced VZ will release an IPhone in January of next year.
    I don't think Apple and VZW announced this. Bloomberg published a rumor which everyone offered no comment on.

06-30-10 03:37 PM
    Time will surely tell. With the number of companies trying to get in on the action (with the addition of Microsoft and Dell, most notably) there is something to be said for RIM focusing on what they do well, instead of trying to meet/beat the bleeding edge of "gotta have it" phones.

So why doesn't Nestle make a smartphone? There's a $300M market, after all.
    ...your last paragraph was probably the strangest thing I've read all day.

Why doesn't Nestle get into the oil business? Those companies make billions a year.

Have you even seen RIM's video sponsoring OS6?

Yeah it looks like they have no intention of cashing in on the exploding consumer market judging by how they're even advertising their upcoming OS . They're content on just the way they are, despite the fact of an 11% drop in stock price and it also fell to its lowest level in a year since rumors popped up of the iPhone coming to Verizon...sadly investors don't have the same blind optimism that you have.

A company did do what you're suggesting RIM does...that company was called Palm...recall they used to rule the business market and were quite content staying in that market. That strategy worked out well for them. Have fun playing arm chair business strategist/investor...the actual markets disagree with your assessment rather severely and these people...you know, actually understand business.

If the direction RIM is taking with OS6 scares you since it seems to want to play in the "gotta have it" scene, you needn't worry, your phone can't support it anyway.
    Last edited by fecurtis; 06-30-10 at 03:55 PM.
    06-30-10 03:51 PM
    I don't think Apple and VZW announced this. Bloomberg published a rumor which everyone offered no comment on.

I have been aware of the rumor and speculation, but heard on the news this morning that Apple and VZ has officially announced the IPhone release due on January. Guess a Google search wouldn't hurt.
    06-30-10 04:01 PM
    It's official.
    06-30-10 04:02 PM
    It's official.
    Verizon Wireless, the largest U.S. mobile-phone company, will start selling Apple Inc.’s iPhone next year, ending AT&T Inc.’s exclusive hold on the smartphone in the U.S., two people familiar with the plans said.

The device will be available to customers in January, according to the people, who declined to be named because the information isn’t public. Natalie Kerris, an Apple spokeswoman, and Jeffrey Nelson, a Verizon Wireless spokesman, declined to comment.
    Verizon Wireless Said to Start Offering IPhone in January - Bloomberg

Hardly "official".

Besides, it makes no sense for Verizon to sell an iPhone AFTER the holidays...
    06-30-10 04:09 PM
    It's official.
    There is absolutely no official statement from VZW or Apple. Of you have one post it. And it better be from VZW and not a blog or financial site regurgitating the bloomberg piece.

Oh and to fecurtis comment I did read on one rumor they it would be announced in Jan but to be delivered later in the year. Not sure how true that is but may make sense for an announcement at CTIA and delivery in March or June. Again all rumor at this point, but Bloomberg isn't exactly BGR either.

06-30-10 04:17 PM
    ...your last paragraph was probably the strangest thing I've read all day.

Why doesn't Nestle get into the oil business? Those companies make billions a year.

Have you even seen RIM's video sponsoring OS6?

Yeah it looks like they have no intention of cashing in on the exploding consumer market judging by how they're even advertising their upcoming OS . They're content on just the way they are, despite the fact of an 11% drop in stock price and it also fell to its lowest level in a year since rumors popped up of the iPhone coming to Verizon...sadly investors don't have the same blind optimism that you have.

A company did do what you're suggesting RIM does...that company was called Palm...recall they used to rule the business market and were quite content staying in that market. That strategy worked out well for them. Have fun playing arm chair business strategist/investor...the actual markets disagree with your assessment rather severely and these people...you know, actually understand business.

If the direction RIM is taking with OS6 scares you since it seems to want to play in the "gotta have it" scene, you needn't worry, your phone can't support it anyway.
    Wow, witty. When RIM gets into the trendphone market by releasing consumer grade blockbuster phones every 9 months you will have proven your point. Until then here's some for you. Have a nice day.
    07-01-10 08:42 AM
    Wow, witty. When RIM gets into the trendphone market by releasing consumer grade blockbuster phones every 9 months you will have proven your point. Until then here's some for you. Have a nice day.
    ...not sure what a "blockbuster" phone is.

I mean...your Storm can check Facebook, access Twitter, give you notifications pertaining to both, upload photos to Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, etc.

It can download apps such as "Fartin Up a Storm" and a decent amount of games. Or were you unaware of all that? It wouldn't surprise me if you were. After all, any common sense business knowledge discernible to a 12 year old are glaringly absent in you.

I guess Slider phones and big touchscreen phones that are set to run on OS6 which are being heavily advertised to be consumer focused...I mean that was abundantly obvious in RIM's OS6 brief teaser...unless dancing around to the Black Eyed Peas is actually a professional thing to do and does not equate to an attempt at being a "blockbuster trend phone".
    07-01-10 09:36 AM
    fecurtis,

Well, maybe the Storm is technically able to do all those things, but I cannot load those apps or my S1 phone flat out won't run.

That's the problem we S1 owners face. We have 1/2 the memory you have. I would be happy sitting on a S2 until the S3 came out (by all accounts of the S2), but I'm not going to buy a S2 just to hold me over 3-9 months.

On the other hand the Android phones are technically capable of doing SO much more, but don't have the software yet to back it up. A lack of software can be fixed... shortcomings in hardware cannot.

Scott
    07-01-10 01:46 PM
    Not sure that I'd be too happy with the STORM2 when OS6 drops. Possible there will be some files that can be deleted or "shrunk" out of the OS to make it much smaller than it appears to be right now. If not, the STORM2 will only have about 50MB of free application memory... and that hasn't worked out so well for the STORM1 - that is if it even gets an OS6 Upgrade.
    07-11-10 01:35 PM
    Good point.

Does OS6 really have a 200MB footprint? If so, RIM REALLY needs to redesign that OS!

Scott
    07-12-10 09:59 AM
    Android is way ahead of RIM. I'm so glad Verizon offered the early upgrade for contracts expiring in 2010. I'd rather hold out the month waiting for my Incredible than wait for who knows how long for a better Blackberry.
    07-15-10 08:37 PM
    Just out of curiosity, does the early upgrade include the NE2 credit or just the privilege of upgrading before the contract runs out?

Scott
    07-16-10 02:40 AM
    Just out of curiosity, does the early upgrade include the NE2 credit or just the privilege of upgrading before the contract runs out?

Scott
    Just the privilege of upgrading...weird thing was, I got my NE2 credit anyway...and my contract wasn't supposed to expire until 7/25/2010.

Even the VZW rep looked surprised.
    07-16-10 10:01 AM
    Android is way ahead of RIM. I'm so glad Verizon offered the early upgrade for contracts expiring in 2010. I'd rather hold out the month waiting for my Incredible than wait for who knows how long for a better Blackberry.
    In some areas, in others RIM blows them out of the water.

Just depends on what's important to you.
    07-16-10 10:03 AM
    In some areas, in others RIM blows them out of the water.

Just depends on what's important to you.
    You're info says you have a DroidX. Can you give us a comparison? My NE2 is up this month and by September I'll either be jumping or staying and would like to know what you think.

BTW, have you tried K-9 Mail? It is supposed to be "push" email for Android...

Scott
    07-16-10 02:03 PM
    You're info says you have a DroidX. Can you give us a comparison? My NE2 is up this month and by September I'll either be jumping or staying and would like to know what you think.

BTW, have you tried K-9 Mail? It is supposed to be "push" email for Android...

Scott
    Sure I'll start a new thread.
    07-16-10 02:28 PM
    I think its better for RIM to wait until they have a solid product instead of trying to rush something out to keep the first Storm1 buyers with blackberries. Many of the first storm1 buyers complained that it was rushed out before it was ready
    07-17-10 09:33 AM
    It isn't a matter of rushing out a product, but rather providing information that would allow those of us who are NE2 eligible in the next 90 days (I'm sure there are tens (hundreds?) of thousands of us) to make an informed decision about whether to wait or drop this "less than stellar" phone in favor of one of the alternatives (i.e. non-Blackberry).

Scott
    07-17-10 12:17 PM
    If the rumors about the Storm2 "refresh" are to be believed, thus meaning that 256MB devices will not run OS6. And that the Storm3 maybe a year away....

I just don't see RIM having a truly viable option for touch screen users that want to upgrade to a device that will last them another two years....
    07-20-10 08:50 AM
    Sure I'll start a new thread.
    Did you? Could you post a link? Thanks!

Scott
    07-20-10 09:14 AM
    If the rumors about the Storm2 "refresh" are to be believed, thus meaning that 256MB devices will not run OS6. And that the Storm3 maybe a year away....

I just don't see RIM having a truly viable option for touch screen users that want to upgrade to a device that will last them another two years....
    +1 on that. Though I've seen posted in another thread here that the OS6 should be ~200MB. That means that it will turn your S2 into, effectively, an S1 with a prettier interface and, arguably, more functionality.

I'm sure that someone will shrink it into submission and at least some of the new features are social networking-related, so will be optional for many, but I'd guess it will run on an S2. S1 users, on the other hand, are SOL.

Scott
    07-20-10 09:18 AM

The Storm2 was a "refresh" of the S1 where they doubled the ram and added wifi; why would the refresh of the Storm2 that is rumored to come in the next few months not be the Storm3?
    07-20-10 10:31 AM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD