Is RIM aware that Storm owners who purchased the Storm in the first 30 days are comming up on their new every 2 dates? It almost feels like they do not have a clue as if I was them I would be teasing a Storm 3 product with a 2010 release date to keep these customers in the RIM family. If RIM does not wake up in the next 30 days these owners will almost be forced into selecting an INCREDIBLE if RIM does not give them any hope of a better product offering.

I would love a Storm 3, but I need to know if it is worth waiting for. It is time fore some official release information or else they will loose a high percentage of their current customer base.

What do you all think?

--RP--
    06-16-10 10:44 AM
    There's a touchscreen slider coming sometime in the future, of that does anything for ya.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-16-10 10:47 AM
    I think they'll release information close to release date. Most phone manufacturers don't release information until the device is close to release, the Storm 3 if holding true to the 2 previous ones will be in November. So I wouldnt expect to see any sort of official announcement until the fall at least.
    06-16-10 10:48 AM
    Forced into an Incredible? No one is forced into using NE2 on the date it becomes available. They let you use the credit a few months early to entice you into a new contract, but you can wait until the phone you want becomes available. I stuck with my previous phone for a bunch of months after the contract ended and used NE2 to get my storm. Verizon was practically begging me to sign a new contract by the time I got the storm (about 5 or 6 months after the contract ended), I got a better deal for waiting, actually.
    06-16-10 11:05 AM
    It is true no one forces you to upgrade the NE2. I waited to upgrade when I got my first Storm because I had heard about it from RIM in advance and it was shown at some shows. I would wait again for a new Storm 3 but RIM is way too quite about this. It is time that they start speaking up. I want to wait but they need to give me a reason to wait.

I remember how they had you register way in advance to receive information about the first Storm. They built up some excitement that is was coming soon. Again I am willing to wait but they need to throw me and other less informed people a bone here if they want us to hold on.

--RP--
    06-16-10 11:27 AM
    just had this conversation on this thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f150/wh...storm3-483511/

RIM should get some sort of teaser going for the S3 with the Droid Incredible and Droid X coming followed by the Droid 2 all while Storm 1 owners are coming up on NE2. Just to keep people in their seats.

The big carrot to dangle would be if it is LTE...
    06-16-10 11:38 AM
    I've been eying Android 6 months after I purchased the Storm. I've already dedicated an entire thread (rants and raves) regarding my displeasure since the 2nd week of owning the Storm since its release, and next month can't come soon enough for me to utilize my NE2 on either an Incredible or Droid X.
    06-16-10 03:35 PM
    I am beginning to feel the same way. RIM needs to wake up! They are about to loose a significant portion of the Storm users who are eligible for a new every 2 upgrade unless they announce something that is worth waiting for. Although I did love my Storm, I have to be objective and say that there are now better phones comming out that are superior in many ways to the Storm that I currently own.

RIM release details about the Storm 3 please. Of course if they are not up to the standards of the competition's products then I would understand why you have little to say.
    06-17-10 07:03 AM
    My NE2 comes next month and I've been following the droid x for a while. I'm not gonna get it right away cuz I might be able to get an even better deal price wise. I like the storm, but I have a feeling os 6 is nowhere near where android os and their devices can do. Plus I can drop this unnecessary blackberry plan. If they teased me with storm 3 info, I'd have to seriously believe it can compete with the iphone and android series

06-17-10 08:45 AM
    I have stopped buying apps since I plan to go to an Iphone 4.

I hate the fact that my 9530 became obsolete before my contract.
    The Storm was a good try.

There are predictions that if the new "slider" will make or break RIM.
    06-24-10 11:54 AM
    I have had my Storm since the begining. It is the original phone and has been good to me. But now I need more. With the release of the Incredible and now the Droid X, the size of the processors sure do look nice. I do not use my blackberry for work and refuse to switch to ATT for an Iphone. Without a new Storm 3 on the horizon, I do belive that the Dorid X may be the best bet.
    06-24-10 12:12 PM
    Is RIM aware that Storm owners who purchased the Storm in the first 30 days are comming up on their new every 2 dates? It almost feels like they do not have a clue as if I was them I would be teasing a Storm 3 product with a 2010 release date to keep these customers in the RIM family. If RIM does not wake up in the next 30 days these owners will almost be forced into selecting an INCREDIBLE if RIM does not give them any hope of a better product offering.

I would love a Storm 3, but I need to know if it is worth waiting for. It is time fore some official release information or else they will loose a high percentage of their current customer base.

What do you all think?

--RP--
    July 21 would be the date (20 months after the release of the S1.) That's plenty of time for people to move on to the next batch of rumors now that the Droid X is out in the open.

But also consider that RIM doesn't necessarily want a bunch of touchscreen fanboys around. They make their money off of corporate sales, and the Storm sure backfired in the sense that after it got popular, the whiners came out of the woodwork to muddy the consumer waters with their iPhone (and now droid) comparisons. Corporate users eat up the Storm 2 (once they get used to the typing), unless they spend time on the internet reading about how bad they are supposed to feel about it. Nah, RIM will probably be happy to go back to being the sleeping giant, even if it means they don't sell one million handsets the day they launch a new line.
    06-24-10 12:53 PM
    Verizon and BlackBerry just show contempt for their customers. I feel like such a loser with this equipment. Stuck in a two year plan. I pay pretty much max dollars each month for the Storm 1, which is almost useless for typing. It is an email reader with a browser powered by a hamster wheel. I was conned like everyone else into switching from a perfectly usable BlackBerry Worldphone. (Remember how we waited for a year for an operating system that allowed voice dialing after Blackberry upgraded and broke the original system?) I am a solo business owner and need a global phone next month to run my business while overseas. I can't switch to a non-global Droid. If I upgrade to a Storm 2, I will be stuck again in a 2 year plan when a Storm 3 arrives. I think I will just spend hours overseas typing and retyping like a 2 year old on the dysfunctional Storm and then come home and get a Droid. I can't find another way out of this 2 year trap into always having obsolete equipment. All of us with Storms should have been given free Storm 2's as compensation for being sacrificial guinea pigs.
    06-24-10 07:04 PM
    Verizon and BlackBerry just show contempt for their customers. I feel like such a loser with this equipment. Stuck in a two year plan. I pay pretty much max dollars each month for the Storm 1, which is almost useless for typing. It is an email reader with a browser powered by a hamster wheel. I was conned like everyone else into switching from a perfectly usable BlackBerry Worldphone. (Remember how we waited for a year for an operating system that allowed voice dialing after Blackberry upgraded and broke the original system?) I am a solo business owner and need a global phone next month to run my business while overseas. I can't switch to a non-global Droid. If I upgrade to a Storm 2, I will be stuck again in a 2 year plan when a Storm 3 arrives. I think I will just spend hours overseas typing and retyping like a 2 year old on the dysfunctional Storm and then come home and get a Droid. I can't find another way out of this 2 year trap into always having obsolete equipment. All of us with Storms should have been given free Storm 2's as compensation for being sacrificial guinea pigs.
    Wow that sucks that you don't like the Storm 1... You should have gotten the Storm 1; I love this phone! I am typing on it right now actually, its a snap to use and crackberry.com loads really fast, thank god. Long winded replies are a snap to crank out. I think I even have enough time to throw in one of these:

06-24-10 11:15 PM
    I have stopped buying apps since I plan to go to an Iphone 4.

I hate the fact that my 9530 became obsolete before my contract.
    The Storm was a good try.

There are predictions that if the new "slider" will make or break RIM.
    I don't think the slider is going to be that cataclysmic in either direction since it is an AT&T only device. Big mistake.

Maybe different if it is released to real networks later but by then it will be out of date.

P.S. As to the subject of this thread, I still love my storm 1 but its out of date now. Droids and Iphones are steadily being produced with faster cpu's, more memory and extra bells and whistles. They need to quit living in the past and un@ss. You can dislike the fact that today's consumer must have his attention grabbed more frequently than 20 years ago but if you are going to successfully market products you better not ignore it.
    Last edited by kb5zht; 06-25-10 at 10:18 AM.
    06-25-10 10:00 AM
    They've already lost me! July can't come soon enough. Goodby Storm, Hello Droid X
    06-25-10 11:03 AM
    They've already lost me! July can't come soon enough. Goodby Storm, Hello Droid X
    Good luck with the battery life. I had an android phone for 4 days and took it back. With moderate use, it required a recharge twice a day. And that's with BT, GPS, Wifi all off. That's what they recommend! Who does that??!!
    06-25-10 11:25 AM
    Verizon & RIM may have wanted to push the S3 back to allow it to be the flagship LTE/4G device for Verizon...

Don't know that eveny if the S3 were to become avilable in the next month or two.. it would be able to compete with what the Android phones are doing. Folks that are stuck with a BB because of corporate policies will still buy whatever BB is avilable. But most consumers (especially those that had problems with an S1) are going to take a long look this time at what is avilable.

The DROID X looks to be a VERY impressive phone, and the updated Froyo OS looks to be the opperating system to beat.
    06-26-10 03:51 PM
    If you think ANY corporation is going to turn their nose up at the prospect of making $300,000,000 (or more) in sales, then you'd better take a business class or two. RIM DOES care about the general consumer and if they think that there's a market for touchscreen devices (ala iPhone and Android) you can bet your **** that they'll be a "me too" entry.

July 21 would be the date (20 months after the release of the S1.) That's plenty of time for people to move on to the next batch of rumors now that the Droid X is out in the open.

But also consider that RIM doesn't necessarily want a bunch of touchscreen fanboys around. They make their money off of corporate sales, and the Storm sure backfired in the sense that after it got popular, the whiners came out of the woodwork to muddy the consumer waters with their iPhone (and now droid) comparisons. Corporate users eat up the Storm 2 (once they get used to the typing), unless they spend time on the internet reading about how bad they are supposed to feel about it. Nah, RIM will probably be happy to go back to being the sleeping giant, even if it means they don't sell one million handsets the day they launch a new line.
    06-27-10 12:17 AM
    RIM DOES care about the general consumer and if they think that there's a market for touchscreen devices (ala iPhone and Android) you can bet your **** that they'll be a "me too" entry.
    Doesn't look like they do...

From all indications the SLIDER is an AT&T only phone, which leaves only the STORM3 in the stable as a possible "soon to be released" option (unless you believe that RIM has some top secret device that no one knows about). But there is a lot of talk about the STORM3 not coming out until possibly the first quarter of next year when Verizon has more of their LTE network up and running.

The DROID X is going to be available to any NE2 subscribers that will have a upgrade available any time in 2010. That is a lot of early STORM owners...

So RIM's "me too" entry may be too little, too late...

Plus with Verizon running an early upgrade promotion for smartphone users... STORM1 users are going to be looking at some old musty BB and a whole new crop of ANDROID phones http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/ver...etails-488822/
    Last edited by Dunt Dunt Dunt; 06-29-10 at 12:55 PM. Reason: ADDED the NE2 early upgrade info
    06-28-10 04:04 PM
    scalemaster34,

+1 that!

Scott
    06-28-10 04:59 PM
    If you think ANY corporation is going to turn their nose up at the prospect of making $300,000,000 (or more) in sales, then you'd better take a business class or two. RIM DOES care about the general consumer and if they think that there's a market for touchscreen devices (ala iPhone and Android) you can bet your **** that they'll be a "me too" entry.
    Time will surely tell. With the number of companies trying to get in on the action (with the addition of Microsoft and Dell, most notably) there is something to be said for RIM focusing on what they do well, instead of trying to meet/beat the bleeding edge of "gotta have it" phones.

So why doesn't Nestle make a smartphone? There's a $300M market, after all.
    06-29-10 04:11 PM
    Time will surely tell. With the number of companies trying to get in on the action (with the addition of Microsoft and Dell, most notably) there is something to be said for RIM focusing on what they do well, instead of trying to meet/beat the bleeding edge of "gotta have it" phones.

So why doesn't Nestle make a smartphone? There's a $300M market, after all.
    Even what RIM does well is slipping. IPhones are now supported by about 30% of IT Depts which is up from about 17% from last year according to Forrester. Active sync is free, offers resonanle security including remote wipe of the device, and pushes full email. No liscensing cost for BES, or add'l hardware. Oh, you probably don't need to buy the phones since your EE's already have them. Also carrier charge add'l fees for BB as they have a fee to pay RIM to subsidise RIM's infrastructure.

Again unless you need Gov't level security RIM is not offering much. if you could give you EE's iphones instead of BB's and save money at the same time...well you'd be hero to the masses.

06-29-10 04:21 PM
    Oh, and the in roads apple is making to enterprise is almost effortless. They are making minimal effort to court that sector and continally position the iPhone as a consumer product. Meanwhile RIM is spending buckets of money courting the consumer market, and losing market share with each quarter.

I hate to say it but of Apple made a converted effort to market to enterprise RIM would be hosed.

06-29-10 04:28 PM
    One could say the same for ATT and Apple. Want to jump ship? Then no more all you can data. ATT just shows contempt. At least with Verizon I don't have to worry about every bit downloaded.
    06-30-10 08:28 AM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD