View Poll Results: Who do you think should take the blame?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • RIM.

39 32.50%
  • Verizon.

19 15.83%
  • Both.

60 50.00%
  • RIM and I'm leaving them forever.

2 1.67%
    KEEP VOTING!

In reference to CB's home page, most are very upset with VZW. Who we should be upset with is RIM. After all they are the ones who made the device and horrible OS. VZW doesn't write the software, they only approve it. I'm glad they have high expectation for the OS and just don't accept anything and everything RIM churns out. I mean really, who wants .141 to be official anyway?? I sure don't. The problem lies with RIM and their lack of knowledge when writing and developing software. I hope to god someone in Waterloo has lost their job over this. I realize many are upset but RIM is getting away with murder while VZW takes all the heat. Quit calling VZW and complaining, call RIM and let them have it!!! I've been a RIM fan and user for over 8 years now. At the time, they were the only company who had a good email and messaging system available for mobile devices. Now there are MANY players out there who do the same thing and in many cases even better. If you ask me, RIM got fat and happy and forgot about innovation and more importantly how to write software. Perhaps they would be better off going back to making pagers.

Also, please feel free to comment on why you voted the way you did.
    Last edited by Pholey22; 05-14-09 at 02:24 PM.
    05-12-09 02:16 PM
    wrong forum mate.
    05-12-09 02:29 PM
    i agree that RIM should be held responsible for the device, but VZW's CEO made the call to release it vs. holding it back and waiting, like they ALWAYS WITH DO WITH EVERY OTHER DEVICE. RIM says they were contractually obligated to release, i would have went to court over defamation of character to force me to release a product that would be detrimental to my company and its public view. Honestly, I blame ALL of us for not sending the damn thing back and demanding satisfaction! Now where’s my white “dual challenge” glove?
    05-12-09 02:34 PM
    I didn't vote because I like the BB Storm. No poll option for that. Not perfect, but nothing is.
    05-12-09 02:38 PM
    I didn't vote because I like the BB Storm. No poll option for that. Not perfect, but nothing is.
    This.

I have had little or no problems with my Storm and the leaked OSes I've had on it. My only current gripe is my battery life, but that may be related to some app changes I made when I put my last two OSes on.
    05-12-09 02:41 PM
    Sorry, I should have put in a "I'm happy with both" option.
    05-12-09 02:44 PM
    Ehh... you may want to seriously rethink your position on this. While I can certainly understand and share in the frustration, this isn't life or death and I'm by no means an advocate of anyone losing their job(s) over a buggy O/S... not in this economic climate, and certainly not for a device that was purchased (by most) as more of a "convenience" than an absolute necessity.

No one forced anyone to go out and purchase this phone, much less keep it if they haven't been satisfied with it's performance within an allotted period of time. I feel bad for early adopters who purchased this phone upon release and experienced issues amlost out of the box, but I also think that says something for waiting a while, seeing what general consumer feedback is and pouring over reviews after a device has been on the market for a bit. Hard to do any of that when one is standing in line on release day eagerly awaiting an upgrade. As is true with most other things: buyer beware.

I've only had my 9530 for about three months. Amittedly, there are countless others here that have far and away more experience with the device and know far more about it than I ever will. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones that got a near rock-solid unit and hasn't had nearly the issues and ensuing frustration with it that many have reported here. I've been extremely happy with the device, despite the buggy O/S that came with it and later it's "official" upgrade. Frankly, so long as leaks are made available (and I know many others here have expressed the same sentiment), I really don't care if I ever see an official O/S approved and released.

Having said that, I really don't know who's at fault - whether it be RIM or VZW. I haven't taken the time to research it (I'm running .132 on my phone and have been pretty happy with it) but it seems other carriers are aren't finding the same issues VZW is (or maybe they are and are accepting of them) - maybe VZW's testing is too stringant - I don't know. Regardless, I'm sure there's a fair share of blame to be levied for all parties.
    05-12-09 03:31 PM
    I blame both but no device is perfect especially being that its basically the first edition. Verizon rushed the phone out with .65 but failed .141. I also don't like the fact that RIM keeps leaking out OS's letting the end user work out the bugs instead of doing their own R&D. I'm a beta tester on the Verizon network. Hey Ivan can you hear me now!!!
    05-12-09 03:42 PM
    Every other carrier has released official updates.... and this is RIM's fault?

I love the storm as it is now. Anything above this is purely a bonus.

RIM is constantly releasing updates, and Verizon is choosing to with hold them. This is due to bugs, true... but this as opposed to the bug free OS they're sitting at now?

Yeah..it's rim's fault that's why most of the whiners are the ones on Verizon who refuse to update
    05-12-09 03:44 PM
    i agree that RIM should be held responsible for the device, but VZW's CEO made the call to release it vs. holding it back and waiting, like they ALWAYS WITH DO WITH EVERY OTHER DEVICE. RIM says they were contractually obligated to release, i would have went to court over defamation of character to force me to release a product that would be detrimental to my company and its public view. Honestly, I blame ALL of us for not sending the damn thing back and demanding satisfaction! Now where�s my white �dual challenge� glove?
    The question I have is now, what would have happened with the Storm's release if it hadn't been released in November? We are over 6 months since the release, and RIM still has not come out with a worthy release. The betas have gotten better and better, but it's still a joke, and makes the phone not be able to compete with the Bold, 8900, or even the original curve in stability. We'd be still sitting her waiting for the phone to be released lol.

I don't blame Verizon. I wouldn't have released these other os's either, because none of the betas, not even the .141 is worthy. The bad thing is, this phone may not even have a good and stable os by the time the 1 year manufacturer's warranty is up in November of this year.
    05-12-09 03:47 PM
    Every other carrier has released official updates.... and this is RIM's fault?

I love the storm as it is now. Anything above this is purely a bonus.

RIM is constantly releasing updates, and Verizon is choosing to with hold them. This is due to bugs, true... but this as opposed to the bug free OS they're sitting at now?

Yeah..it's rim's fault that's why most of the whiners are the ones on Verizon who refuse to update
    the other carriers have different network requirements. their testing is based on their network. however, VZW has higher testing expectations...due in part to the fact that a majority of their income comes from businesses...i'm not sure if many companies have adopted the storm en mass yet, but i'm sure there are business users with it. i know of a couple personally.

which OS that you've used would you suggest VZW released? keep in mind your choices are .113 and .141, those are all that has passed network certification so far since .75 was released.
    05-12-09 03:53 PM
    The question I have is now, what would have happened with the Storm's release if it hadn't been released in November? We are over 6 months since the release, and RIM still has not come out with a worthy release. The betas have gotten better and better, but it's still a joke, and makes the phone not be able to compete with the Bold, 8900, or even the original curve in stability. We'd be still sitting her waiting for the phone to be released lol.

I don't blame Verizon. I wouldn't have released these other os's either, because none of the betas, not even the .141 is worthy. The bad thing is, this phone may not even have a good and stable os by the time the 1 year manufacturer's warranty is up in November of this year.

you've got a good point there even if they waited and released it today, they still don't have an OS that has all the advertised features working...
    05-12-09 03:53 PM
    Strange, I've never seen a poll like this posted before.
    05-12-09 03:54 PM

at this point, i don't know what to tell you. i base all of my responses on previous actions taken by the companies involved, assuming that they follow the same pattern of business practices. there is no rhyme nor reason as to why any of the companies released the device in the shape it is today. VZW should have sent the storm packing, hardware revisions required.

funny thing is my friend's storm has no lint, no hardware issues at all...and he's had it since about august 2008. i can't explain the difference in build quality any better than you could speculate.
    05-12-09 03:56 PM
    There is no problems at all with the STORM!! There is absolutely ZERO need for any OS upgrades, even if an upgrade were to "leak" out, no one would even bother with them, and hybrid OS, out of the question. The Storm works great, so what if you need to pull the battery out every day, and it is unresponsive and slow, it works great!!!!
    05-12-09 03:59 PM
    at this point, i don't know what to tell you. i base all of my responses on previous actions taken by the companies involved, assuming that they follow the same pattern of business practices. there is no rhyme nor reason as to why any of the companies released the device in the shape it is today. VZW should have sent the storm packing, hardware revisions required.

funny thing is my friend's storm has no lint, no hardware issues at all...and he's had it since about august 2008. i can't explain the difference in build quality any better than you could speculate.
    Lol, my problems aren't the build quality, as the phone seems very high quality to me. My issues are the random rebooting, lockups, and the fact that even to this day, when my phone is connected to my pc, it vibrates instead of ringing, and sometimes, it does ring, but doesn't use the contact ringer tone. Also the fact that the phone still lags at times. Crucial told me that I should get the Tour instead of waiting for the Storm 2, and I may do that now.
    05-12-09 04:00 PM
    There is no problems at all with the STORM!! There is absolutely ZERO need for any OS upgrades, even if an upgrade were to "leak" out, no one would even bother with them, and hybrid OS, out of the question. The Storm works great, so what if you need to pull the battery out every day, and it is unresponsive and slow, it works great!!!!
    he said facetiously
    05-12-09 04:01 PM
    I agree! Well said. Will you be my friend?
    05-12-09 04:01 PM
    Lol, my problems aren't the build quality, as the phone seems very high quality to me. My issues are the random rebooting, lockups, and the fact that even to this day, when my phone is connected to my pc, it vibrates instead of ringing, and sometimes, it does ring, but doesn't use the contact ringer tone. Also the fact that the phone still lags at times. Crucial told me that I should get the Tour instead of waiting for the Storm 2, and I may do that now.
    reboots seem to be OS based

lock-ups seem to be 3rd party based

when i mass storage mode, the device can't access the ringers if you've selected them. it should work properly if you disable mass storage mode.

lag is going to be an issue on any device. just the nature of how things are. even the curve has lag. my uber-suped up PC has lag at times, there are too many uncontrollable variables in play. all you can do is preventative maintenance, and avoid 3rd party apps as much as possible. seems to help with me.

build quality is night and day between different devices. if you saw my first storm, you'd wonder WTF they were doing. a lot of the screen click, and keys falling off that you hear about are true. luckily i got a good FRU and i've had no issues since then.

i haven't seen the tour or storm 2, idk what to say about those. but i have awhile until i'm gonna start shopping again. until then i'm gonna tinker and enjoy.
    05-12-09 04:05 PM
    the other carriers have different network requirements. their testing is based on their network. however, VZW has higher testing expectations...due in part to the fact that a majority of their income comes from businesses...i'm not sure if many companies have adopted the storm en mass yet, but i'm sure there are business users with it. i know of a couple personally.

which OS that you've used would you suggest VZW released? keep in mind your choices are .113 and .141, those are all that has passed network certification so far since .75 was released.
    If I was VZW I wouldn't rush a phone out to a network that clearly has compatibility issues with the Storm, but hey, the only ones that suffer are VZW customers, def glad I'm not one of those I hate Telus as much as...well...every single one of their customers (give or take) but I dont have any service issues and for that, I am glad.
    05-12-09 04:07 PM
    If I was VZW I wouldn't rush a phone out to a network that clearly has compatibility issues with the Storm, but hey, the only ones that suffer are VZW customers, def glad I'm not one of those I hate Telus as much as...well...every single one of their customers (give or take) but I dont have any service issues and for that, I am glad.
    i couldn't possibly agree with this statement any more!!!

but the front line employees suffer even more than the customers. i'd say a ratio of 3/1 of quantity of suffering reps/customers....
    05-12-09 04:11 PM
    I'd like to know what the point is in putting the blame on anyone?? If we spent as much time and energy focusing on doing what we (the consumer) can to make it as good as possible (my Storm) with the resources we have to work with (leaked OS's) then we ALL would be happier people (with the exception of corporate users). Regardless of who's to blame, the Storm is what it is. You chose to buy it, you chose to keep it. If we all lived our lives on the promises of others (VZW) then we'd all be dead by now.

Who woulda thought a $200 phone woulda caused this much hostility.

My $.02 ($.000000000006)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-09 04:13 PM
    reboots seem to be OS based

lock-ups seem to be 3rd party based

when i mass storage mode, the device can't access the ringers if you've selected them. it should work properly if you disable mass storage mode.

lag is going to be an issue on any device. just the nature of how things are. even the curve has lag. my uber-suped up PC has lag at times, there are too many uncontrollable variables in play. all you can do is preventative maintenance, and avoid 3rd party apps as much as possible. seems to help with me.

build quality is night and day between different devices. if you saw my first storm, you'd wonder WTF they were doing. a lot of the screen click, and keys falling off that you hear about are true. luckily i got a good FRU and i've had no issues since then.

i haven't seen the tour or storm 2, idk what to say about those. but i have awhile until i'm gonna start shopping again. until then i'm gonna tinker and enjoy.
    Lockups happened to me even when I didn't add any 3rd party apps(had device replace about 4 times already).

As far as lagging, well I barely had this problem on my ATT 8300, or my Verizon 8330, and I don't have it on my Bold or 8700C.
    05-12-09 04:20 PM
    i couldn't possibly agree with this statement any more!!!

but the front line employees suffer even more than the customers. i'd say a ratio of 3/1 of quantity of suffering reps/customers....
    Oh dude, my sympathies for sure! I had to work CSR for a company (non-wireless based) here and maaaaaan..what a headache. Couldn't imagine it on a scale as large as VZW's operation. It's just sad to see that their particular network seems to be more of a problem than the OS releases themselves
    05-12-09 04:20 PM
    I'd like to know what the point is in putting the blame on anyone?? If we spent as much time and energy focusing on doing what we (the consumer) can to make it as good as possible (my Storm) with the resources we have to work with (leaked OS's) then we ALL would be happier people (with the exception of corporate users). Regardless of who's to blame, the Storm is what it is. You chose to buy it, you chose to keep it. If we all lived our lives on the promises of others (VZW) then we'd all be dead by now.

Who woulda thought a $200 phone woulda caused this much hostility.

My $.02 ($.000000000006)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Maybe they're just curious to see what other users who may be frustrated think. Don't think it's any different than asking "Who loves their Storm". And plus you know when people are pissed off they want to find someone to blame
    05-12-09 04:21 PM
98 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD