Great company... but would be more amazing if they could tell us what will be in the next OS. At least some news so that we can disregard rumors such as "Storm 2." Oh well, just adding my two cents.
    Last edited by CrackBerry Storm meh; 03-08-09 at 10:42 PM.
    03-08-09 08:59 PM
    Great company... but would be more amazing if they could tell us when the next OS will come out, or even what will be in the next OS. At least some news so that we can disregard rumors such as "Storm 2"
    You do realize that the carrier controls the next release, not RIM.

03-08-09 09:41 PM

I was just going to say something like, "I bet they would too," but then you have to go and beat me to it.
    03-08-09 09:45 PM

Release date? But RIM creates the OS builds, correct?
    03-08-09 09:55 PM
    Release date? But RIM creates the OS builds, correct?
    Yes. Then they test them and send them off to carriers and 3rd party developers to test them as well. RIM does not control which versions of an OS will be official.

Official is a silly title anyway. The version that goes official will probably be leaked to us first.
    03-08-09 09:58 PM
    Yes. Then they test them and send them off to carriers and 3rd party developers to test them as well. RIM does not control which versions of an OS will be official.

Official is a silly title anyway. The version that goes official will probably be leaked to us first.
    True, I realize all of this, but what I meant is - It would benefit us if RIM told us what they are working on.
    03-08-09 10:05 PM
    True, I realize all of this, but what I meant is - It would benefit us if RIM told us what they are working on.
    It'll be done when it is done and not before, posts like this serve no purpose other than to incite others, but will not have the slightest impact in getting it done. Software development is a slow and laborious process that can't be rushed.

CX has already told us he feels (and I agree) that VZW is waiting until they get a near perfect OS to release. That is somewhat of a relative term as software development since it it is an ongoing process; but they do intend to wait until all of the (major) current bugs are fixed, and the device is more stable and responsive.
    03-08-09 10:21 PM
    It'll be done when it is done and not before, posts like this serve no purpose other than to incite others, but will not have the slightest impact in getting it done. Software development is a slow and laborious process that can't be rushed.

CX has already told us he feels (and I agree) that VZW is waiting until they get a near perfect OS to release. That is somewhat of a relative term as software development since it it is an ongoing process; but they do intend to wait until all of the (major) current bugs are fixed, and the device is more stable and responsive.
    You are pointing out the obvious - Well, before the official release, why not just tell us things that they are working on - Even if it is a brief summary. I believe that software development should not be rushed, as well.
    03-08-09 10:34 PM
    You are pointing out the obvious - Well, before the official release, why not just tell us things that they are working on - Even if it is a brief summary. I believe that software development should not be rushed, as well.
    Software development doesn't work that way, you have to remember that dispite what it may seem to us, seeing all the betas, what they are working toward is a "maintinance release" meaning a bug fix release.

Once in a while a company will list new features in an upcoming release (once they are completely sure they will make the final release) but there are no real new features other than the portrait qwerty key board and the new copy and past functionality. Most software developers would not consider the first worth mentioning, and the second is an enhancement of an existing feature, not really a new feature.

In RIM's case they really only publish new features with major release versions

4.2 4.3 4.7 4.6 4.7 5.0 etc.
    03-08-09 10:47 PM
    It doesn't exactly take forever and a day to test a OS unless there is one god damn person testing

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-08-09 10:52 PM
    It doesn't exactly take forever and a day to test a OS unless there is one god damn person testing
    No offense dude but that's one of the stupidest things I have heard said on here in a LONG time. You clearly have no idea how software is developed and tested.

They dont just load the OS on a device test if for a couple hours and call it good. RIM, Verizom, Bell, Telus, Voda, along with numerous software partners test the crap out of these things. They run them under all sorts of conditions, trying efferent things in different confirmations onlooking for bugs.

There are thousands of possible app combinations (even if you stick just with RIM's own apps, and they also need to test other common ones that don't come from RIM, running in different with different amounts of free memory, doing different things, manipulating different size pictures, ring tones, media files, etc. Then they have someone else do the same tests because they may do something a slightly different way from the first one and trigger a bug that did not surface before.

Then when they do a new build they have do do the testing all over again. This takes time. Verizon alone spends at least two weeks testing a single OS build they are considering releasing. If the find a bug then they have to move onto the next likely candidate and start the testing over again.
    03-08-09 11:03 PM
    No offense dude but that's one of the stupidest things I have heard said on here in a LONG time. You clearly have no idea how software is developed and tested.

They dont just load the OS on a device test if for a couple hours and call it good. RIM, Verizom, Bell, Telus, Voda, along with numerous software partners test the crap out of these things. They run them under all sorts of conditions, trying efferent things in different confirmations onlooking for bugs.

There are thousands of possible app combinations (even if you stick just with RIM's own apps, and they also need to test other common ones that don't come from RIM, running in different with different amounts of free memory, doing different things, manipulating different size pictures, ring tones, media files, etc. Then they have someone else do the same tests because they may do something a slightly different way from the first one and trigger a bug that did not surface before.

Then when they do a new build they have do do the testing all over again. This takes time. Verizon alone spends at least two weeks testing a single OS build they are considering releasing. If the find a bug then they have to move onto the next likely candidate and start the testing over again.

I am well aware of the nuances of testing seeing as how i code myself, Like i said, it does not take forever and a day to test an OS for bugs unless they have one person on the job. 2 weeks? The Storms OS is not very expansive, a test squad of 50+ can easily create many of the possible running environments.
    03-08-09 11:39 PM
    Software development doesn't work that way, you have to remember that dispite what it may seem to us, seeing all the betas, what they are working toward is a "maintinance release" meaning a bug fix release.

Once in a while a company will list new features in an upcoming release (once they are completely sure they will make the final release) but there are no real new features other than the portrait qwerty key board and the new copy and past functionality. Most software developers would not consider the first worth mentioning, and the second is an enhancement of an existing feature, not really a new feature.

In RIM's case they really only publish new features with major release versions

4.2 4.3 4.7 4.6 4.7 5.0 etc.
    Very good perspective. Thanks.
    03-09-09 12:39 AM
    I would love it if RIM and Verizon could both work together and make an announcement of when the next official OS would release. It would put a lot less expectations for me if they had an official date...I know it's hard..
    03-09-09 12:44 AM
    I know it's hard..
    That's what she said.
    03-09-09 12:46 AM
    I would love it if RIM and Verizon could both work together and make an announcement of when the next official OS would release. It would put a lot less expectations for me if they had an official date...I know it's hard..
    That's the thing, they don't know for sure when it will be; they will do it when a release VZW's TA phase. If they find a large enough but in a version that they expect to release, they have to move to the next likely candidate.

They can't be like "okay we're planning to release .105 the week of ___________" and then a week later go "we found a bug in .105 so we're moving on to .114" (or whatever) and if they find a bug in that move on to 119, . . . etc. . . we know how people reacted when the releases targeted for late Dec and early Jan didn't happen (for these reasons), people would not put up wit that and pressure them even more. From their perspective it is just better to say nothing or just say "we're working on it".
    03-09-09 12:59 AM
    The thing is, outside of the little microcosm that is Crackberry, there probably aren't a lot of people all that concerned with it. You have any idea the number of people out there who probably only bought a Storm because they thought it looked cool in a commercial? Probably at least half of all Storm users don't even know it can do email, or how to set it up. To them, it's no different from your basic flip phone. They use it to make calls and text, that's it.

We are the demanding users, and we are a very small minority.
    03-09-09 08:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD