If i decide to return my phone, i will be credited the entire purchase price except a $35 restocking fee

IMO if i return the device its because im not happy with it, why should i pay anything at all?

i mean at the end of the day its nickles and dimes, but i just don't understand why they would charge me anything at all. Its not my fault they sent me 3 or 4 faulty devices, its not my fault the OS is full of bugs.

Anyhow i just wanted to get opinions.
    12-30-08 01:41 PM
    I think it is fair, only because they have to take the phone, and repackage it, and send it back to VZW and have them do stuff to it, and then make it into a refurb, I was thinking about returning and going to a Curve, but I decided to keep it. The lady on the phone at VZW said that I would be charged a fee, and she attempted to explain the reasons for the fee.
    12-30-08 01:44 PM
    If i decide to return my phone, i will be credited the entire purchase price except a $35 restocking fee

IMO if i return the device its because im not happy with it, why should i pay anything at all?

i mean at the end of the day its nickles and dimes, but i just don't understand why they would charge me anything at all. Its not my fault they sent me 3 or 4 faulty devices, its not my fault the OS is full of bugs.

they charged you 35 dollars each time you gave back the phone to be repaired? thats ridiculous. you should call VZW CS if thats the case. If your talking about the 30 day test run phase, then yes that is understandable to charge you a 30 dollar restocking fee. Its nice enough that they let you test drive the phone. and its also the cheapest alternative
    12-30-08 01:47 PM

I think it is only fair as you get to use a NEW device for "free" while you are trying it out and when you return it they can't sell the device as "new". make sense?

How would you feel if someone bought a product off of you, used it for a month and retunred it. you can't sell that product as new anymore so you lose out. woudln't it be fair to charge the person who is returning the product a little to eat that cost? it's not a cheap device...
    12-30-08 01:48 PM
    I think it is only fair as you get to use a NEW device for "free" while you are trying it out and when you return it they can't sell the device as "new". make sense?

How would you feel if someone bought a product off of you, used it for a month and retunred it. you can't sell that product as new anymore so you lose out. woudln't it be fair to charge the person who is returning the product a little to eat that cost? it's not a cheap device...
    lol, many great superbowl big screen tv memories
    12-30-08 01:49 PM
    So using that logic they can sell me a complete POS, knowing fully that it will not work, and i will not be happy ... but at the end of the day they make $35 bucks off of it lol

And there are some people who get a brand new deice which isnt working, and VZW replaces it with a refurb (they offered me this option so i know) which means they can theoretically make $35 on that phone for as long as it functions, until someone keeps it lol

again i know its a small price to pay, im just thinking outloud and im super bored here at work hehe
    12-30-08 02:10 PM
    Yeah $35 is high, I guess ATT charging $20 is not that bad

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-08 02:16 PM
    I got all of my money back when I returned the storm. I've returned other phones without paying a restocking fee. Maybe I got a deal because of my company.

I understand that open box returns cost the seller money but I always thought vzw was simply eating this cost as part of their "30 day guarantee" marketing.
    12-30-08 02:23 PM
    lol, many great superbowl big screen tv memories
    lol!!!

OP, did you buy your phone from a vzw corp store?
    12-30-08 02:25 PM
    So using that logic they can sell me a complete POS, knowing fully that it will not work, and i will not be happy ... but at the end of the day they make $35 bucks off of it lol

And there are some people who get a brand new deice which isnt working, and VZW replaces it with a refurb (they offered me this option so i know) which means they can theoretically make $35 on that phone for as long as it functions, until someone keeps it lol

again i know its a small price to pay, im just thinking outloud and im super bored here at work hehe
    They could just stick it to you and say you get what you pay for. Or rather, just sell you service, and you deal with the manufacturer getting a replacement. $35 isn't alot, and you make it sound like when you send it back, its just sitting somewhere until they can give it to someone else. If your phone was truly broken, they would eat the cost of it. If the phone needed to be worked on, VZW has it fixed up, reboxed etc. They actually have to pay people to do that, and im sure some of them cost more than $35 in labor to fix.

Also, remember this is VZW we're talking about, the fact that you can try it out for ONLY $35 for 30 days, is pretty amazing, considering everything else they nickel and dime you for..
    12-30-08 02:27 PM
    LMAO @ Verizon "eating the cost" of anything.

jk.

yes i do agree with the restocking fee unless the device is completely defective (ex. didnt turn on at all out of the box) b/c the seller cannot sell it as new any longer.
    12-30-08 02:27 PM
    The stocking fee is clearly stated up front. Our company rep said it was put in place because people were abusing the no charge policy to continually try out different phones.

12-30-08 02:28 PM
    It's not "right" from an economic standpoint, it's just a tactic to discourage people from constantly returning their phones.
    12-30-08 02:31 PM
    I think the restocking fee is BS. If you take it back, I would tell them your story and see if they can waive the fee. If you get a good sales person they may just do it.

Good luck!
    12-30-08 02:35 PM
    Here's a link to vzw's Test Drive page:
    Verizon Wireless

No mention of a restoking fee but a long list of charges VZW is willing to "eat".
    12-30-08 02:35 PM
    lol!!!

OP, did you buy your phone from a vzw corp store?
    tele sales
    12-30-08 02:37 PM
    I agree that the restocking fee is just a tactic to keep people from getting a new phone every 30 days... however, if you are returning it for the purpose of getting a replacement and they are charging you a restocking fee, something's not right.

Sounds like one of the teenagers at the Verizon store doesn't understand the restocking fee policy.
    12-30-08 02:37 PM
    The restocking fee is if you return for a diff device. Such as if you return the storm and get a curve, as an example. If you return it because it's defective, there is no restocking fee.

Last edited by seVer916; 12-30-08 at 02:53 PM.
    12-30-08 02:49 PM
    The restocking fee is if you return for a diff device. Such as if you return the storm and get a curve, as an example. If you return it because it's defective, there is no restocking fee.

What if both apply? Returning it because its defective, now you want a curve? lol

The lady told me if i return the storm and get a curve, my 30 day period does not restart.

But if i reurn the storm outright and then a few days later i buy the storm, i get a new 30 days

i said well that's ridiculous lol, ill just return it and buy the curve in a few days so i get a new 30 days lol
    12-30-08 03:00 PM
    $35 restocking fee does NOT apply for every return or exchange. Verbatim from the contract I signed:

A $35 restocking fee will apply if you exchange your device for a different model or color, or if you return your device and within 3 days purchase another one (excluding Hawaii).

Only one exchange within the first 30 days will be honored, unless the exchange is requested due to defective equipment.
    If you're not switching models or to non-existent Storm colors, you aren't liable for $35 based on this text, unless you buy another Storm in a few days time.

The 30 day thing should of course be modified to include up to January 15th as this is Verizon policy for holiday purchases and indicates as such on the same contract.

So if you're returning a device you don't want and going back to your old phone for at least 3 days before you decide to buy a Curve or something else, don't let them hook you for $35. If they do, get a manager and refer to your contract details.
    12-30-08 03:10 PM
    If they try to charge you a restocking fee for getting a replacement device, just yell really loudly in front of all the other customers in the store that you are going to switch to AT&T and they'll waive it for you.
    12-31-08 08:10 AM

They did not "know" that you were not going to like the storm, just as they did not know I was going to like it. It was your CHOICE to purchase the phone and it was your CHOICE to return it. The vendor asks for a small fee for a product that they are no longer able to sell as "new"
    12-31-08 08:49 AM
    Maybe some people should do a little research before buying a device like this.

Would you shop blindly for a car then try to return it after running into a tree because the brakes didn't work like you wanted them to?

Just like most businesses on earth Verizon Wireless is out to make money. These rules are in place to ensure they do so. It is your choice to be a customer. Just remember they didn't become this large with out doing a good service for their customers.
    Last edited by Lowsol94; 12-31-08 at 09:07 AM.
    12-31-08 09:01 AM
    Never return something and say you don't like it, just simply say it didn't work. "Customers are always right..."

What a slacker I am, only 7 posts, lol.
    12-31-08 09:11 AM
    I just got my 3rd storm and did no pay a restocking fee on the 2 I returned because I was still under the 30 days of original purchase... My 2nd storm came doa. The red end key was almost falling off and it was a brand new unit....
    12-31-08 09:16 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD