I am a "Rhapsody to Go" subscriber. I initially had no problem transferring tracks from Rhapsody to my Storm. However, I broke my initial Storm (long story) and received a replacement Storm from the insurance company. I took the media card from my old Storm and put it into the replacement Storm.

Now I cannot transfer tracks to my replacement Storm. Furthermore, the songs that I previously transferred to my media card won't play on my new Storm. Each time I try to transfer a track in Rhapsody, I get an error message stating "a problem has occurred in obtaining the device's certificate." Rhapsody's help page suggests the following 7 solutions, none of which has worked:

- Solution 1: Correct the date and time setting on your computer and device.

I have checked this several times and there's no problem with the time/date on my computer and my Storm.

- Solution 2: Ensure your device is supported.

I'm pretty sure the Storm is supported since I was able to easily transfer songs to my old Storm without a problem. Moreover, I noticed that several posters on this message board have been able to transfer songs to the Storm.

- Solution 3: Try a different USB port.

I've tried 3 different ports, same bad result.

- Solution 4: Ensure you have updated device firmware.

I'm not sure what they're getting at here, but I suspect this isn't the problem.

- Solution 5: Turn the device off, then restart it.

Done that, tried that. I've tried taking out the battery and rebooting, but to no avail.

- Solution 6: Update Windows Media Player.

I have the most recent version.

- Solution 7: Format the device.

I'm not sure what they're getting at here (how does one format the Storm?).

I've also tried the following:

1. I took out my old media card and put in the blank one that came with the new Storm. Didn't work, and I got the same error message.

2. I have gone to my "Options", "Memory", and have turned "Mass Storage Mode" to "Off." I've also tried it with "Mass Storage Mode" turned "On." I got the same error message both times.

I'm totally bummed out. Can anyone help? Thoughts?
    12-03-08 07:24 PM
    FYI

I solved my own problem. The key is to reformat the device memory. Go to "Options", then click "Memory", then click the BB button. Select "Format", then choose "Device Memory." After I did that I was able to download songs from Rhapsody. However, the songs I had on my media card from my old Storm did not work. I had to delete those songs, then re-download them.

I hope that helps anyone else with the same issue.
    12-04-08 05:29 PM
    I am having the same issues with Rhapsody. When I first got the Storm, I was able to transfer my subscription music with no problems, then all of the sudden it won't let me. It essentially tells me I have to purchase the music before I put it on the card. I'm running v4.7.0.75 and I'm using Rhapsody v4.0, build 4.545. FYI, this was happening before the OS update, before the Rhapsody update and continues to happen now. I followed your suggestiong by formating the memory...but to no avail.
    12-05-08 11:28 PM
    ...but does it have to be done every time??

With Storm NOT connected to PC.....

Goto Options button.
    Click Memory.
    Change Mass Storage Mode Support to OFF. Make sure you SAVE.

Media Card Support & MTP should still say "on"

Now reconnect Storm & Open Rhapsody. You get different labels in Sources area. Can now transfer.

I had a weird thing that songs that I had transferred to PC Before doing this would not transfer to Media card. To device memory was fine??!!

Also, need to disconnect USB line after the transfers before looking for songs on Storm.
    12-05-08 11:55 PM
    i think everytime you change device, Im up late cause I am waiting for all my music to finish transferring. I had the same issue you had but formatting both the card and phone's memory has helped
    12-06-08 12:58 AM
    I had the same problem with "device certificate" and tried everything I could think of before finding this thread. Formatting the phone worked perfectly. Just remember to back up your info on your computer's hard drive first so you don't lose anything.
    12-10-08 09:08 PM
    I had the same issue. If you don't want to format it (like me since I had pictures on my memory card) do the follow.

1. Deauthorize your device
    2. Close Rhapsody and unplug your Storm from the USB connection
    3. Change to USB Mass Storage Mode (use advance search to find an article on how to do that)
    4. Plug your Storm back in and find the new drive letters in My Computer or Explorer
    5. Navigate to system and delete the drm folder and everything underneath it (you may have to show hidden folders for see these folders).
    6. Unplug your Storm and disable USB Mass Storage Mode
    7. Plug your Storm back in and reauthorize your device
    8. Now copy over the music that you want - previous music will no longer work

You may also want to delete the music that was copied over before this occurred since it won't work.

Hope this helps for people that don't want to reformat everything.
    12-12-08 02:20 PM
    Same problem. I got a replacement phone, deauthorized the replacement, switched over the media card and authorized the replacement phone and now NOTHING works - not the old songs or transferring songs to the phone or media card.

I am so frustrated. Rhapsody customer support is horrible.

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!
    12-12-08 07:34 PM
    anyone get any updated help on this?
    12-29-08 09:00 AM
    I was told by VZW a week ago that deauthorizing the device, formatting the micro SD, and reauthorizing the device (with the newly formatted card) should solve the problem. I was also told that RIM is aware of this problem.

I did all of that, and I'll let you guess the outcome. I was hoping that someone had a better idea.
    12-29-08 04:40 PM
    All I did was copy the music folder from the phone to my dekstop. From that point I copied the whole thing back and the music worked. Nothing esle. No formatting or anything. Hope this helps.
    01-05-09 12:34 PM
    I was told by VZW a week ago that deauthorizing the device, formatting the micro SD, and reauthorizing the device (with the newly formatted card) should solve the problem. I was also told that RIM is aware of this problem.

I did all of that, and I'll let you guess the outcome. I was hoping that someone had a better idea.
    Nothing else worked. Following bgib's post did.
    02-24-09 12:57 PM
    I was getting the "a problem has occurred in obtaining the device's certificate" error when trying to add more rhapsody songs to my Storm. I just did the following:
    1. Deauthorize the device in Rhapsody
    2. Disconnect
    3. Hard-reboot the Storm (i.e. taking out the battery)
    4. Reconnect and authorize in Rhapsody

It worked - I can add songs now.
    I did not need to reformat or delete all my existing music.
    02-25-09 04:03 PM
    Thanks for all your help everyone!

Is it just me, or should it definitely not be this hard to manage DRM content on these devices? I mean, I'm sure there are some "non-power-users" out there with hundreds of dead songs...
    03-22-09 03:37 PM
    I had the same issue. If you don't want to format it (like me since I had pictures on my memory card) do the follow.

3. Change to USB Mass Storage Mode (use advance search to find an article on how to do that)
    4. Plug your Storm back in and find the new drive letters in My Computer or Explorer
    5. Navigate to system and delete the drm folder and everything underneath it (you may have to show hidden folders for see these folders).

You may also want to delete the music that was copied over before this occurred since it won't work.

Wow it worked! Thank you so much!! Maybe you should train those Verizon and Rhapsody reps!!
    05-04-09 11:06 PM

This solution worked for me. I can't believe how long I've been paying a Rhapsody subscription but never issued it due to this issue.
    08-09-09 04:53 PM
    This actually works, thanks alot !!!
    08-13-09 04:54 AM
    But - will you have to do that every 30 days?
    08-13-09 10:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD