Alright, so the reviews haven't been stellar for the storm. I've said it a couple times though, all these people are coming from an iphone. I am not saying they are trying to be biased, I am saying the UI on the storm is a lot different than the iphone so it will take more getting used to for those transitions.

Lets be honest, all these reviews haven't told us anything we haven't already known about! We all know there are problems, and while we want this to be the best phone in the world, it wont be... yet. Its the first generation of a phone like this and the software isn't even perfected yet. The storm has been updated numerous times in the past month already! You can read the reviews how people think the click typing is stupid, but why do you care how THEY like it? Unless you know the reviewers and know what they like is what you like then there really is no point to making a decision based on what theyve said.

The iphone wasnt nearly as smooth when it first came out. Stop letting other people make your decisions and think for yourself. GO and play with it... or get it and if you dont like it you have 30 days to return it
    Last edited by imann101; 11-20-08 at 10:43 AM.
    11-20-08 10:36 AM
    Reviews are stupid, think yourself!
    Thread title Fail.
    11-20-08 10:44 AM
    Alright, so the reviews haven't been stellar for the storm. I've said it a couple times though, all these people are coming from an iphone. I am not saying they are trying to be biased, I am saying the UI on the storm is a lot different than the iphone so it will take more getting used to for those transitions.

Lets be honest, all these reviews haven't told us anything we haven't already known about! We all know there are problems, and while we want this to be the best phone in the world, it wont be... yet. Its the first generation of a phone like this and the software isn't even perfected yet. The storm has been updated numerous times in the past month already! You can read the reviews how people think the click typing is stupid, but why do you care how THEY like it? Unless you know the reviewers and know what they like is what you like then there really is no point to making a decision based on what theyve said.

The iphone wasnt nearly as smooth when it first came out. Stop letting other people make your decisions and think for yourself. GO and play with it... or get it and if you dont like it you have 30 days to return it
    Stop making excuses for a phone that was obviously rushed and not up to speed yet. You should expect more from RIM. They got lazy with the Bold software which was very buggy to start with and now they got lazy with the storm software. RIM needs to step their game up asap!!
    11-20-08 10:48 AM
    As long as the hardware is perfected and finalized I could not care any less about these "problems" with the phone. OTA updates ftw.
    11-20-08 10:59 AM
    Well they say stereotypes don't apply to everyone but they are there for a reason. I believe too many people are so pro-storm that they are trying to convince themselves this is a great device. Maybe the fact that all the reviews are coming in negative is because there are actually some serious issues with this phone. Everyone keeps saying that things will be resolved by future software updates. But does anyone really want to buy a device based on the fact that a future update MIGHT fix the problems? That would be like buying a car that doesn't always start but GM will fix these problems over time.

Of course I am going to verizon to test the phone out and see for myself but based on the reviews I am certainly reconsidering purchasing the phone.
    11-20-08 11:03 AM
    Reviews about ANYTHING are guidelines. Our personal judgement is all that matters. Reviews do serve a purpose, but most are usually jaded by the aformentioned personal judgement.

For example, when a movie critic kills a movie, I tend to like it a lot. The Long Kiss Goodnight with Geena Davis and Samuel Jackson got raped in the reviews, but the movie is pretty hot (my opinion of course).

Bottom line, we shouldn't hate on them. Just take them with a grain of salt and remember that it's someone else's opinion. You have 30 days to decide for yourself starting tomorrow.
    11-20-08 11:09 AM
    Fairly ironic to say: "They are coming from the iPhone" as if to suggest the iPhone is a superior device and therefore it is only expected that they would be let down. Just an observation.
    11-20-08 11:14 AM
    Judge for yourself but don't be surprised when you experience the same problems the reviewers are experiencing.

There are 2 levels of problems here that people have to deal with. The first is the touchscreen and surepress - lets face it, some people just won't like it no matter what. I personally have never had affection for touchscreens, I prefer accuracy to flash.

The second level of problems is the OS. All we know is that .65 is laggy and buggy. I like Blackberry as much as the next person, but the level of devotion here to a device people haven't used and to an OS (.71, .76,. 81, .godinaOTAupdate) that people haven't used yet is absurd. Why would anyone buy a phone hoping that it will be better in the future?

I want a Storm as bad as the next person. But I consider myself lucky right now to live in Canada and have a few extra weeks to see how this all unfolds.
    11-20-08 11:20 AM
    So far the only thing that I think that would annoy me is if I really did have to press hard on the screen the further away from the center it is.. That would be really really stupid if it's like that... You should have to press the same amount anywhere on the screen. If that's the case it's more a hardware issue and that's not good
    11-20-08 11:27 AM
    Just another opinion here... I own an iPhone and I just (FINALLY) got about 10 minutes hands on with the Storm and I'll tell you right now I like the Storm better.

The ability to move your finger around like a cursor and then click to select brings the UI to a whole new level. I loved it. Can't wait until tomorrow!!
    11-20-08 11:28 AM
    So far the only thing that I think that would annoy me is if I really did have to press hard on the screen the further away from the center it is.. That would be really really stupid if it's like that... You should have to press the same amount anywhere on the screen. If that's the case it's more a hardware issue and that's not good
    I didn't notice it being different from the edges to the center. The effort required to click it was just about the same as a mouse button. Maybe like 5% more effort than that but very close.
    11-20-08 11:31 AM
    I think boygenius pointed it out the best. The iphone OS was designed specifically for the touch screen interface. The storm is basically taking the bold OS and making it finger friendly.

BIG difference.
    11-20-08 11:38 AM
    Lot's of bad reviews...color me officially turned off as a customer. I'm not crazy about touchscreen phones in general, and it sounds like this device suffers the same drawbacks and limitations of the breed...more show than go.

I'm sure at some point I'll be bored this weekend and wander over to VZW to check it out anyway, just to make sure there's really not something I'm missing.
    11-20-08 11:39 AM
    Thread title Fail.

+1 .... He's basically saying, "Think for yourself by listening to me."
    11-20-08 11:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD