Aside from the title, I would like to know why everyone is so concerned with getting a brand new device, in a retail box.

I understand the psychological need of some to be the very first one to officially own a product, but to this extent, is just ridiculous.

If you look at the question of retail versus refurbished from a critical perspective, one can deduct that the refurbished option, while not brand-spanking new, is just as good, if not better than the retail version.

Refurbished units go through extensive processes to ensure that it will not be returned again. This means that testing, replacing of parts such as buttons and screens (even housings), more testing, and even more testing go into making sure a device is ready to be shipped back out to a consumer.

Some may think of a refurbished unit as a bad thing, but do you really think RIM wants a bad unit coming back to them, after it has already gone through extensive testing?

I do not think so.

On an end-note, for any of you who have diagnosed, official cases of obsessive compulsive disorder: I respect your innate need for a brand-new phone (just do not think about all the hands that have been on your equipment and box!). For those of you who just want a product that is as new as possible: learn to accept the fact that sometimes used and tested is better than something that just came off of the assembly line.
    12-18-08 12:33 AM
    I have never had problems with refurbs and never really cared if I received one.
    12-18-08 12:37 AM
    I got a refurb as a replacement and it is MUCH better than the new one I had. Aside from the dreaded lose red button that is.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-08 12:38 AM
    I'm on my 3rd storm. First 2 were new and that obviously didn't do me any good. When I needed the 2nd one replaced they said they could get me a refurb sooner. I thought maybe with all the checks they do to the refurbs it would be fine and could actually be better than brand new. So far, best of the 3 and works as I think it should with minor issues everyone sees with the OS.

Ken
    12-18-08 08:08 AM
    Verry good point. I really never thought of a refurbished phone in such a way.
    12-18-08 08:14 AM
    SOMETIMES refurbished items come with the disclaimer that they may have minor defects that do not affect the function of the device.

I don't know if this applies to the Storm, but IF it did , then would you want one that functions but the chrome is scrathced up?? a Dented battery cover? ETC.

If you payed for a new device in mint condition, i imagine you'd want one in mint condition
    12-18-08 08:22 AM
    i dont mind refurb items whatsoever. The only thing I care about is if I pay for new then I want new. I have bought refurb ipods from apple.com and they are great and have a full warranty. Never had a problem with them. Difference is you pay 80-100 bucks less for refurb. That is my only problem.
    12-18-08 08:22 AM
    Lol I got a refurb ipod touch no problems what so ever.. But yea refurb is so much cheaper if they had a refurb storm on release date I would of bought it I hate paying more...paid full retail.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-08 08:28 AM
    I received a refurb replacement yesterday due to clicking issues with my first one. (tried all the tricks) The refurb'd clicking is much worse and I'm returning it.

I think I'll just keep the one I have. I really hate to part with her anyway. We've become very close. Plus her screen is still a virgin and if I get a refurb I will always wonder who else has put their grimey fingers on it before me.
    12-18-08 08:35 AM
    My personal reason for wanting a new device over a refurb, especially for a cell phone, is biological debris. Have you ever looked at someone's desk phone handset? Try it sometime and look at the earpiece- you'll be fairly grossed out.

Cell phones are like keyboards and have all the germs a human has to offer packaged up in a nice handheld unit maintained at a good temperature and humidity. Unless the guts of a refurb were cleaned with alcohol and UV light, I don't want to be putting something I don't know history of near my face.

I remember the stories of iPhone refurbs AT&T was shipping out that still had face grease prints on them!

I'm not an OCD or a germaphobe either. Now go take a sneak peak of someone's desk phone in your office--
    12-18-08 08:51 AM
    Refurbs have their issues too I blew threw 4 8830's that were refurbs. Finally VZW stepped up and sent me a NEW Curve.
    12-18-08 09:06 AM
    Refurbs have their issues too I blew threw 4 8830's that were refurbs. Finally VZW stepped up and sent me a NEW Curve.
    +2. I went through two 8830 refurbs as well, they never offered me a Curve.

Why do people care if people want new 9530s instead of refurbed ones!?

After all the BS we've gone through with Verizon and their BBs in the past, I deserve a brand spanking new one. Verizon should be kissing the collective a$$es of previous BB subscribers and get them the products they want.
    12-18-08 09:19 AM
    +2. I went through two 8830 refurbs as well, they never offered me a Curve.

Why do people care if people want new 9530s instead of refurbed ones!?

After all the BS we've gone through with Verizon and their BBs in the past, I deserve a brand spanking new one. Verizon should be kissing the collective a$$es of previous BB subscribers and get them the products they want.
    Calling until I got the answer I wanted......LOL
    12-18-08 09:22 AM
    Calling until I got the answer I wanted......LOL
    They fought back at me yesterday when I called. I finally am returning my 1st 9530 due to the screen constantly changing light levels, like three every second...

At any rate, the guy I was talking to was actually snippy with me, saying that "major exceptions" had been made to get me my replacement 8830s and to get me into the 9530 before my NE2.

I had no idea a "major exception" had been made with the 8830s, I thought when your phone broke, you could get a new one...and as for these damned 9530s I bought me and my wife one after being prompted to call VZW after their text message to me pimping the Storm.

At any rate...I still hate Verizon, and I better get a new phone, not a refurb.
    12-18-08 09:31 AM
    Talking about Karma, my third replacement is shipping to me today (be here tomorrow), and the shipping weight is only 1 lb. Looks like I am getting a brown box, eh?

The consensus was that the brown boxed phones were refurb right?
    12-18-08 11:35 AM
    I think it's just principal. You paid for something new, it was their fault it broke so you want something new in return. Accepting a used phone is the only real place this theory would work. Could you imagine that you bought a new car and when you went to go get in it all the doors were welded shut. So you tell the dealer this and their like ohh yeah that's our fault but here is a used one that you can't get in.
    12-18-08 11:42 AM
    I am on my 4th, I don't care if it's a refurb as long as it works, but....

Doesn't the law require the manufacture/ retailer/ distributor to label the product as refurbished.
    Replacement is not another word for refurbished.
    If the above statement is true, than FRU does not meet that requirement, unless it states it in the BOL or box saying FRU means refurbished.
    12-18-08 11:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD