Does anyone know of any app or anyway to make sure that restricted numbers are exposed? For example a prank caller calls you at 1145 when you have to be at work at 5am. you are a light sleeper and they screw with you everynow and then. i know of the blacklisting progs but I was hoping there was a way to actually get the number without having to go through the hassle of police reports. i tried calling vzw but they are no help...

EDIT: oh yeah changing my phone number is not an option, since i have resumes with my cell number on them and thats my main contact point.
    Last edited by 916Ninja; 01-16-09 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Pointing out a non option....
    01-16-09 12:53 AM
    *67 is in use to protect calling parties from identification. Whether the application be something like a landlord trying to collect money from a deadbeat tennant or a prank call, there is no way to expose this block...I think.

I let restricted calls go to voicemail, unless I am expecting a call, most of the time if they don't leave a voicemail they are not important enought to call back, but then again if your buddy gets arrested I know for a fact that the jails don't lt you leave a message...just a pointer
    01-16-09 12:59 AM
    I have never understood why some people leave their phone on but then get angry if they get a call or message while sleeping. I have an idea. How about turning your phone off while sleeping? Just a thought.
    01-16-09 01:01 AM
    Does anyone know of any app or anyway to make sure that restricted numbers are exposed? For example a prank caller calls you at 1145 when you have to be at work at 5am. you are a light sleeper and they screw with you everynow and then. i know of the blacklisting progs but I was hoping there was a way to actually get the number without having to go through the hassle of police reports. i tried calling vzw but they are no help...

EDIT: oh yeah changing my phone number is not an option, since i have resumes with my cell number on them and thats my main contact point.
    Use bedside mode with the option that turns the radio off when in bedside mode and problem solved. No interruption to sleep. Just switch bedside mode off when you wake up and all of your emails will be downloaded and any text messages/missed calls...
    01-16-09 01:27 AM
    I have never understood why some people leave their phone on but then get angry if they get a call or message while sleeping. I have an idea. How about turning your phone off while sleeping? Just a thought.
    True. But what if the guy wants to receive phone calls that are actually important. I have an idea. Think before posting.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-09 04:20 AM

wow that was helpful.
    01-16-09 06:39 AM
    How about some folks use a cell phone as their only phone. I don't want prank calls in the middle of the night, but I do want to receive important/emergency calls. Sounds like you must know a way for the phone to distinguish between different types of calls.
    01-16-09 06:48 AM
    At one time Handango had an app that only allowed people in your contacts list to ring through. If not in your list it would send the call to your voice mail. It didn't work with the Curve and when I talked to them they were working on it so I took it off. Might have it fixed by now.
    01-16-09 07:58 AM

You can log in to your Verizon Wireless account and Go to "My Services" and then "Usage Controls" and you can block restricted numbers from there. It costs $4.99 a month though, so I guess it would depend how annoying the calls are. A restricted number would have to dial *82 before they can call you.
    01-16-09 08:16 AM
    You can log in to your Verizon Wireless account and Go to "My Services" and then "Usage Controls" and you can block restricted numbers from there. It costs $4.99 a month though, so I guess it would depend how annoying the calls are. A restricted number would have to dial *82 before they can call you.
    If you have resumes you are waiting on calls about I wouldn't use this service. Many employers will restrict their outbound calls and you could miss out on a job opportunity if the call is blocked. Unfortunately there is no way to get the caller ID on restricted calls. You can set your phone to silent for phone calls but still tone for emails if you want. Good luck - get some sleep!!!

01-16-09 09:13 AM
    Are employers really going to be calling you back for a job between 1145pm and 5am? I think your best bet is to just silent your phone.
    01-16-09 09:50 AM
    No but the service blocks ALL restricted calls no matter what time they come in. You didn't read the entire post.
    01-16-09 09:55 AM
    the ability to use usage controls on a BB isn't possible. I've tried for....8 months now to get them to let me use it. no way, no how. I've talked to just about every rep possible and this is with both my pearl, storm and a crappy flip phone. It would have to be a specific phone that allows usage controls, none of which include a blackberry.

Talk about annoying: you block the number from calling you but you can still receive a text from them and verizon either can't or won't block texts for you. I'm thinking more along the lines of can't versus won't.
    01-16-09 10:03 AM
    Its not the easiest solution, but when I had a similar issue, I set the default ringer to
    A silent ringtone that I made. Then I set all my contacts to a regular ringer. This way even
    though the phone would 'ring' it would only be audible if it was someone in my contacts.
    If needed you could set the default ringer to something audible during the day in case of
    prospective job offers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-09 11:02 AM
    Youmail has many settings.
    If I recall you can set private numbers to hear a particular message and not leave one.
    I had the VZW disconnected message on mine.
    01-16-09 11:08 AM
    Are employers really going to be calling you back for a job between 1145pm and 5am? I think your best bet is to just silent your phone.
    People such as firemen,police, paramedics, doctors, and pilots need to have their phones on at all times usually.
    01-16-09 02:06 PM
    As a fellow midwesterner... Well former now that I'm out in CA... And BTW, you have the wrong logo for your avatar... It should have a cyclone in it.

Anyway... As someone who grew up in the midwest but now lives on the west coast, I've come to find that the pragmatic nature of midwesterners tends to baffle everyone else in this country. And of course, as has been so aptly demonstrated already, rather than spend a couple seconds trying to understand, they would much rather just verbally accost you.

As just kind of a thought that may or may not work... Is it possible to use sound profiles to let only certain numbers ring through, and all the rest vibrate or are silently ignored? I haven't done much playing with sound profiles, but it seems like you should be able to set it so numbers from people in your contact list will ring but others won't.

And you can always call VZW customer support. They can easily see who's calling, even if they use *67. They may not tell you who's calling you, but if you tell them that someone is harassing you and they always call around a certain time at night blocking their number with *67... They can probably do something about it. You may have to go up the supervisor ladder a few rungs before you get to someone who can actually make it happen, but it can be done. If need be, tell them you're prepared to go to court to seek an injunction forcing them to comply with your wishes. It's a bluff obviously, but a lot of times just the vague threat of something like this makes it far more likely companies will stop dragging their feet.

Oh, and to the OP... I really do sympathize with the whole light sleeper thing. Just someone walking past my door at night can be enough to wake me up. There have been times when the compressor on the refrigerator turning on about 100ft away, has woken me up. Not even a particularly loud compressor either. I know it's not worth much, but I know exactly what you're going through, minus the people crank calling.
    Last edited by bigman2; 01-16-09 at 02:24 PM.
    01-16-09 02:19 PM
    Thanks for the comments guys... Even the ones who didn't read the part of my post stating that a change in phone numbers would not be suitable... I know that a possible employer isn't going to call me late at night, but at the same time, had you read my post and noticed the part of changing my personal number not being an option you may slowly start to understand. I did in fact call VZW and the only option they told me was file a police report. I'm going to check out Youmail and add the caller ID block error to it. Hopefully, that will trick them out and the call will stop coming. I figure if I use that and the whitelist blacklist apps that it will work. Thanks for the idea!
    01-19-09 04:18 AM
    This may be a stupid question, but is there a way that I could keep my phone silent when I sleep then have some sort of ring through from emergency calls? I hate when people call through out the day when I am trying to catch a little sleep, though I am always afraid of missing an emergency call from my GF or her sons school! Any info would be appreciated!
    01-19-09 04:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD