Here's something interesting: Not sure if anyone has tried this or not.

Go to the link your phone is trying to access on your computer browser.

http://kmedia.m.nbc.com/54153/MZ/jay...t2_16x9_30.mov

And that also fails to HTTP 403 Forbidden and I have a very much American IP address with AT&T uVerse service.
    10-01-09 11:52 PM
    I have a question, and please excuse me if it was answered way back............

I have a Verizon Tour. If I go to m.nbc.com I don't even see full episodes to try and play. There's nothing I can find. There is a link that says "Watch Video (Learn more)". If I follow that link, there's some message that says:

Upgrade to a Blackberry Storm, 9530, Bold 9000, Curve 8900, 8300, Pearl 8130 and Wi-Fi enabled BB Smartphone and start enjoying full streaming videos from nbc.com.
    What is that all about? I'm confused.
    10-02-09 07:38 AM
    screw all of you. We still don't get jackity squat here up north.

no wonder piracy is so high here, there arent many other options
    Lolililolololololol. I feel your pain man. FYI if you want to go to a site on your pc that is Canada restricted connect using tetherberry from your phone. Gives you an American IP addy. Hulu here I come!!!!!!

Dennis

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-02-09 12:22 PM
    I have a question, and please excuse me if it was answered way back............

I have a Verizon Tour. If I go to m.nbc.com I don't even see full episodes to try and play. There's nothing I can find. There is a link that says "Watch Video (Learn more)". If I follow that link, there's some message that says:

What is that all about? I'm confused.
    doesn't seem like the tour is supported at this time from what i've read on the NBC boards...
    10-02-09 05:49 PM
    Assuming all of the BIS servers are in Canada is silly. Further my understanding is that only data that NEEDS RIM, goes to rim, no all data. If it all goes through RIM, that is horribly inefficient, and yet another reason our browser speeds suck.
    Actually, the US BIS Proxy servers are in Canada. And YES, the browser and native BB apps DO USE the BIS Proxy servers.

So, yes, the bold is right.

You can see what location Proxy you're picking up by finding your IP and doing a trace. All the times I've done this, I've turned up a RIM based IP in the north country.

The only progs that don't use BIS Proxy servers are those apps that can use socks.... Opera Mini is such an app.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 10-02-09 at 07:45 PM.
    10-02-09 07:43 PM
    anything that has a service book goes through RIM infrastructure...so things like opera, pandora, etc...i do believe those go through carrier data channels, which is why pandora isn't blocked with the "geotagging" or whatever...

browser speeds suck due to what you outlined, but also how the browser renders everything. it's all on the device to process and render...that's why when you're loading a "big" site with your browser, multi-tasking lags...
    10-02-09 07:46 PM
    okay so m.nbc.com people are asking crackberry to help collect examples of issues...

Hey Patches this is what I have for =)

Can you please ask your contact at Crackberry to download an NBC.com BB
    shortcut designed to optimize their video experience at using a BB
    device.

Go to http://m.nbc.com and find the promote that points you to a
    BlackBerry shortcut. It will take you to a page that explains how to
    download an NBC.com shortcut for your homescreen. It might actually drop
    the icon in your Downloads or Applications folder, depending on which BB
    you're using, but you can move it to the homescreen for easier access.

Also, it would be of help to us if your contact could send this
    information...
    1. The exact model number of the device
    2. The exact error they encountered
    3. Step by step instructions on how to reproduce the error

Let me know what happens.
    Thanks,
    Alex
    please post your email address so they can contact you directly as well, i'll provide the researchers at m.nbc.com a link to this thread to get the info...
    10-14-09 05:18 PM
    [email protected]
    1) storm 9530 on VZW
    2) when browsing the site, if i try to load a streaming video page i get a 403: forbidden error...or i'll get a 503 timeout error when trying to load the actual m.nbc.com home page....the home page works half of the time, and i can navigate around and browse show's libraries, and i get the 403 when i try the actual video link
    3)from my device, i use either the mobile launcher or bookmark to m.nbc.com homepage, (this is where i'll get the 503, if i get that specific error. it seems to be intermittent. prolly 30% of the time i get the 503) navigate to the show i wish to view, select the episode i wish to watch, click the link, and i'll get a 403 error.
    10-14-09 05:25 PM
    [email protected]
    Storm 9530 on vzw
    1)trying to load the first link under "latest full epsiodes" (Jay Leno) from the shortcut get a 403: forbidden. details :
    You do not have permission to access "http://kmedia.m.nbc.com/54153/MZ/jay/longform/200910/nbc_jay_eps_22_10_13_2009_pt1_16x9_30.mov?" on this server.

reference # 18.c7eef748.1255559302.2e3e9aed

2) click on watch video from shortcut get the oops error about browser not being supported. same with browse video library.list of all full episodes works but get the 403 error when a link is clicked

3) the browser error states that my browser does not support m.nbc video content. to watch i need to use my phones wap browser or blackberry browser. icon below will launch the right browser everytime when downloaded. Is this supposed to download a player or just a shortcut to m.nbc.com. Seems to me its just an internet shortcut

This states "Blackberry browser" which could have 2 meanings. blackberry browser could just mean the general description of the browser but it could also be the browser option that will only be displayed when you are running BES. I am running BIS and only have "internet browser" listed in my browser options. users on BES have 2 option. internet browser and blackberry browser. Patches correct me of I'm wrong here, but BES doesnt have this issue its only BIS users.
    Last edited by TheBr0ken; 10-14-09 at 06:02 PM.
    10-14-09 05:42 PM
    And how about some Tour love over at NBC.....
    10-15-09 08:40 AM
    if you want NBC to fix the issue they need examples....

aka

bump
    10-15-09 02:53 PM
    Here are my observations, with screen shots. ( See attached PDF )
    Last edited by Briard; 10-16-09 at 02:16 PM.
    10-15-09 05:26 PM
    My results are identical to Briard's.
    10-15-09 05:39 PM
    <DELETED>
    Last edited by pozer69; 01-12-21 at 09:55 AM.
    10-16-09 01:29 PM
    We all have the same error. How many examples of the same exact error do they need? I thought it was clear that they are miss identifying the BB browser.

10-17-09 01:44 PM
    we all have the same error, yes...but...that's what they asked for...so...we're doing what they say.

and it's not that they're mis-identifying anything, it works on other carriers, it works on VZW BES users (who btw have the same browser identification AND IP address as BIS users...it's just filtered through an extra set of servers)

so it's something specific to VZW BIS users, and someone else too, i forget. altell or TMO or something...
    10-17-09 04:01 PM
    I get the same set of errors as poser69.

Thanks for picking up the gauntlet, Patches.
    10-20-09 06:18 AM
    Guys, I know it was mentioned before, but I just set my browser on my PC to a Canadian proxy and was unable to watch ANY of the videos on the mobile site. It DOES appear that NBC is blocking Canadian IPs from hitting the videos. Take it for what it's worth.
    10-20-09 07:27 AM
    By the time NBC gets this figured out, we'll probably be watching things on Hulu anyway....
    10-20-09 09:43 AM
    If it really is just an out of country IP issue, the idiots running the NBC network just need to put in an IP allow statement with whatever IP range RIM has been given to all their networks. Problem solved.
    10-20-09 10:44 AM
    ....And letting Tour's watch the Videos.
    10-20-09 11:57 AM
    Guys, I know it was mentioned before, but I just set my browser on my PC to a Canadian proxy and was unable to watch ANY of the videos on the mobile site. It DOES appear that NBC is blocking Canadian IPs from hitting the videos. Take it for what it's worth.
    If it really is just an out of country IP issue, the idiots running the NBC network just need to put in an IP allow statement with whatever IP range RIM has been given to all their networks. Problem solved.
    Civic is there anyway you can determine if the IP address identification for someone on BES differs in country location compared to someone on BIS?

I'm just curious why BES users are able to "work around" this. Could it be NBC has already cleared the BES I.P. address RIM has?
    10-20-09 12:10 PM
    Civic is there anyway you can determine if the IP address identification for someone on BES differs in country location compared to someone on BIS?

I'm just curious why BES users are able to "work around" this. Could it be NBC has already cleared the BES I.P. address RIM has?
    That's not how BES works. A BES user will have an IP from their employer as all their data is routed there, not through any RIM servers.

10-20-09 12:27 PM

That's not how BES works. A BES user will have an IP from their employer as all their data is routed there, not through any RIM servers.

Yes, as vatothe0 indicated. BES users usually have their browser traffic routed via the ISP gateway that the BES server is sitting on. Easiest way to find out what IP you're browsing from is to hit myipaddress.com from the BB Browser and then do a traceroute to that IP to find out ISP and country location, or just look the IP location up online via other sources.
    10-20-09 12:52 PM
    Civic,
    In the programming screen it showed the IP address for the device...

Also not all BES browsers have a different IP from BIS browsers. AgTitan showed that in his youtube vid he posted.

10-20-09 02:15 PM
99 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD