Run DM

Plug in phone

Select sync

Select sync options on the left

Change appropriate modules to be outlook accordingly

Then go back to the sync menu.

Hit the "sync button"

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    every time i try that, i don't get an option to select outlook, and when i click on the button under configuration, it starts to sync and then comes up with an error and says to check data.

Please help
    06-19-09 10:04 PM
    06-19-09 10:05 PM
    bump for future n00bs who need help also...
    06-22-09 03:41 AM
    I gave this a try with .151 and now im pulling 59.6 app memory and in 34 hours i have 56.3 absolutly pleaseed with this and with my apps i have never had memory this high before cheers for the post
    06-22-09 05:01 AM
    it seriously works really well, i've suggested it to literally everyone who has a problem. of the ones that listen and follow the advice, they notice an instant improvement.

i haven't done it to mine, i prolly will this week before my vacation. my phone runs fine, but i guarantee even i'll get an improvement in performance. especially in multi-tasking and switching apps, etc...
    06-22-09 05:37 AM
    I did this and it did not make any difference to battery life. After I used JLCMD to wipe and then reload OS I restored my contacts and nothing else.

I ran this way for 3 days.

The battery still barely lasted 12 hours with very little use.

Bottom line is that a 1400 maH battery is just not enough for a device like this.

The 1600 mah availabale out there is too expensive for just another hour's worth of time.

Smartphones need to come with much larger capacity batteries from the factory.
    06-22-09 10:28 AM
    1) who's talking about battery life?

2) it should help with memory and reboots

3) if you still have issues I suspect hardware malfunction

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-09 10:38 AM
    I waited about 10 days to provide feedback as I tested this myself and I'll tell you... this is the best advice I've taken thus far. Having tried all the leaks and hybrids, simply choosing to NOT restore my data as a part of the .148 upgrade has given me back a solid BB that performs consistently well. I only resync'ed the limited info required by our BES and manually reinstalled the rest of my apps. I haven't had my BB perform this stable and well since... well, since my BB Curve days.

I'm not the type to check my memory and freak just because it goes up and down. I know that's the nature of the beast. But, before this mine was going as low as 3 MB with just the minimal running and was very sluggish. Did I have some corruption I was restoring each time previously??? I guess so, but regardless I'm a happy camper again and haven't had need to reboot my phone one time as a result, so far.

I appreciate this information.
    06-22-09 01:21 PM
    i'm going to create a whole new thread outlining the steps and potential resolutions, i'll post a link and have a mod close this thread, but i'd like anyone who had positive or negative feedback to share on the new thread once it's up.
    06-22-09 01:23 PM
    and i've just wiped my device, i restored contacts, BBM, custom dictionary (mine is quite extensive, didn't wanna lose it), browser bookmarks and that's about it. without going through and changing the settings from the "default" settings, i boot up at 45mb. the weird thing is that i usually booted up at that amount even before the clearing of my info. weird, but cool!
    06-22-09 01:32 PM
    Thanks a million to patches for taking the time to help every one out. Hopefully after I do this to my Storm tonight I will notice a difference. I'm on .141 and plan on wiping, then upgrading to .148 and then loading everything on one by one...

I'm amazed at the number of n00bs who don't even bother to read what is already there...wow.

I'll let you know how it goes...
    06-22-09 05:54 PM
    This totally works. I always upgraded one version on top of the other without wiping it. Last night I wiped handheld (I Know I shoulda used JL, but I didn't have time) and then installed .148, and saw my memory at 52 MB's...wow!

Going to install apps slowly and hope my memory stays above 20...thanks again patches!
    06-23-09 02:35 PM
    Great thread.

Thanks bunches.

Luv the AOM debate. (amount of memory)

I just switched from a pearl. There were times it had total amnesia. Any memory is a bonus for me.
    06-23-09 02:42 PM
    This totally works. I always upgraded one version on top of the other without wiping it. Last night I wiped handheld (I Know I shoulda used JL, but I didn't have time) and then installed .148, and saw my memory at 52 MB's...wow!

Going to install apps slowly and hope my memory stays above 20...thanks again patches!
    1) JL does the same thing that the DM SHOULD BE DOING when you install an OS...the diffence is, that if you have more than one OS installed on your PC, it fracks stuff up. hence why the JL software exists

2) the kind of wipe i'm referring to in this thread is device info, not OS code. you can do the wipe by going to options>security>general security>bb button>wipe handheld> badda bing.

make sure you back up all data first, just in case you change your mind later.

then once it's wiped, should be "like new" as in when you first purchased the device, software wise. clean slate.

then with DM, you go to backup/restore> advanced, on the left, select "file" and open your most recent backup file, and then choose each module you want to restore. at this time i suggest only contacts, calendar, BBM. i loaded custom dictionary and browser bookmarks, but my device worked perfectly before, so i knew nothing was corrupt. just wanted to start fresh and overwrite some stuff that i had a hard time getting rid of before.

and on my profile has any info you need to get a hold of me. BerryAddicted | Blackberry News, Reviews, Forums and Accessories is where "ask patches" is, so you can go there to find me, or just use the "email me" link on my profile and that will get directly to my berry, so far turn around time for help is no more than a day...usually i'm right on top of it.
    06-23-09 03:04 PM
    and i've just wiped my device, i restored contacts, BBM, custom dictionary (mine is quite extensive, didn't wanna lose it), browser bookmarks and that's about it. without going through and changing the settings from the "default" settings, i boot up at 45mb. the weird thing is that i usually booted up at that amount even before the clearing of my info. weird, but cool!
    How do you back up your BBM contacts? I backed up my ind databases (addresses, messages...) but when I restore I dont have any BB messenger contacts but I have all of my address contacts. the only way I get back my BBM contacts is to reactivate on my BES but I dont want to have to do that everytime...when I am backing up individual databases through DM i see that there is one for BBM but there are no records to backup....
    06-24-09 02:17 PM
    there is a module called "blackberry messenger" in the list of things you can restore.

just do a regular backup, and then do the pick and choose for the restore, not the other way around. it's just easier
    06-24-09 02:26 PM
    How are people getting 50+ mbs free memory?

I just did the wipe, and before reinstalling anything am below 30 mbs...I even used shrinkOS to get rid of tons of crap, so I am really confused why I have so little memory...
    06-24-09 03:13 PM

I just did the wipe, and before reinstalling anything am below 30 mbs...I even used shrinkOS to get rid of tons of crap, so I am really confused why I have so little memory...
    How many Bat pulls did you do after restoring? When I wiped and Reinstalled 148 the first boot up was abt 35 mb. The second re-start put me at 48 mb. And I did not shrink anything. I have heard some people talk about needing 3 pulls. I just did the 2 and seemed to have been fine.
    06-24-09 03:17 PM

i don't want to turn this into a bashing/flame war or a rant or anything, but...

angry response
    what the **** difference does it make? is your phone slow? can you not perform the tasks you want to?
    /angry response

30mb of free app memory is way more than enough. that's about where i run average.

maybe you just have a **** ton of contacts or something? cus all that user data that you have stored takes up app memory as well.

if you shrunk AND wiped, then you're doing something wrong. with a clean phone with nothing on it, straight .148 you should have high 40's, maybe 50.0mb.
    06-24-09 03:18 PM
    there is a module called "blackberry messenger" in the list of things you can restore.

just do a regular backup, and then do the pick and choose for the restore, not the other way around. it's just easier
    Geez. This does make it a lot easier. I wish I had figured this out earlier! Also, it would be nice to get a list of what some of the options are/ which dont need to be restored bc otherwise it seems to take forever to do
    06-24-09 03:26 PM
    angry response
    what the **** difference does it make? is your phone slow? can you not perform the tasks you want to?
    /angry response
    Patches, I take no offense. The reason it matters is because I have this low memory before reinstalling anything. So this is before 3rd party apps, contacts, ringtones, pictures, etc. That is pretty bad, and yes will mean I do not have enough memory for the phone to run quickly. I think my question was pretty harmless, I simply do not understand how memory is that high -- Is that literally with nothing on the phone? I am simply curious...

if you shrunk AND wiped, then you're doing something wrong. with a clean phone with nothing on it, straight .148 you should have high 40's, maybe 50.0mb.
    When you say this, is this including things like DocsToGo and other native apps? As these were still on the phone despite the wipe. Because I did exactly this and had ~30 mbs...I will try re-wiping...

if you shrunk AND wiped, then you're doing something wrong.
    I'm not an *****, and wiping is pretty damn easy. I did not mess this up...

Edit:

So on redoing the wipe I am at 38.3 MBs free; don't know why the first time was so weird. I am still curious how people break 40 or even 50, but I'll settle for high 30s...
    Last edited by Strakerc; 06-24-09 at 03:48 PM.
    06-24-09 03:36 PM
    so with the "restore to defaults" and no apps, themes, etc...you're at 38.3?

did you unload all of the unused languages and games and such?

i got rid of most of that stuff, i hardly ever use 'em. so it's not necessary.
    06-24-09 04:32 PM
    Well, brickbreaker was kept but word mole gone. Docs to Go still there as well (which I believe is 3 mbs). I think that's about it...

These things most likely make sense why I'm below 40 -- I thought people getting above would have literally nothing on the bb, just wanted to check.

Thanks for the help answering that...

Just to double check, if I still have a memory leak this means that I most likely have a hardware problem, and should think about getting the phone replaced? As I've already lost 2 mbs in the past hour...
    06-24-09 04:38 PM
    i'm running DM right now to see what i have loaded of the native apps so i'll tell you in a second...

here's the deal with memory. it's gonna be used. if it gets used, and you close all apps, and it still doesn't rebound, then i'd suspect that you might have the OS loaded improperly, idk how you could do that. prolly just a hiccup in the load.

what OS are you on?

have you tried doing a full OS wipe and re-installing?

make sure you only have .148 installed on your PC. you can keep the .exe files loaded, but don't install anything other than what you're gonna load, that could cause problems as well.
    06-24-09 04:40 PM
384 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD