08-19-10 06:08 AM
384 ... 34567 ...
tools
    I'm thinking it was just the beginning of this thread....all you're doing is backing up your 3rd party apps, wiping your phone, but then not restoring your data (i.e. calendar, contacts, messages) and just syncing with Outlook, Gmail, or your BES to repopulate that data.....the theory was that when you do a restore of your data you may be installing a corrupted file(s) which could result in memory leak.....

I went thru the process last night and still have the identical early memory leak, so in my case the data restore is not the issue.

One question I have is has anyone else run into a situation where JL Commander did not completely wipe the phone? I used JLC last night and realized today that phone logs and other data was not wiped....think I will use Crackmem or Crackutil next time....
    I use CrackMem and have been satisifed with the results.
    05-31-09 08:49 AM
    .75 has a bug that will show the wrong app memory, so idk how close to true that measurement is...

there are stories of people running on 0MB free, but idk what oS THAT IS ON...
    I had 0mb on .75 quite often, but it must have been in error since the phone performance didnt change. oh well .75 is muerto as far as Im concerned...
    05-31-09 08:57 AM
    I was having terrible memory leaks on .148 and decided since it was official to memory wipe and revert back to .75 for a couple days (or until I couldn't stand it). I must say after a JL Wipe and install of .75 I am perplexed. .75 after a wipe has been fantastic. Battery life, up time, available memory are the best I have seen.

I have 4 Storms in the family and the .75 from VZW is garbage! How is it doing a JL wipe and reinstalling it works so great...I just don't get it. Granted I haven't reinstalled all the programs back that I use but I have installed WeatherBug, Google Sync, FaceBook and Slacker and sitting at 49 MB of memory. I assume once I install a theme and the rest of the apps I use the overall performance may go down.

Still, this isn't anywhere close to the same performance I have seen from .75 stock from VZW in the past on any phone. I was talking to a friend and Storm owner and he said try the camera...and I remember the .75 camera of suck but it worked just fine.

Long story, short - JL Wipe and reinstall works great even on .75
    05-31-09 09:23 AM
    I was having terrible memory leaks on .148 and decided since it was official to memory wipe and revert back to .75 for a couple days (or until I couldn't stand it). I must say after a JL Wipe and install of .75 I am perplexed. .75 after a wipe has been fantastic. Battery life, up time, available memory are the best I have seen.

I have 4 Storms in the family and the .75 from VZW is garbage! How is it doing a JL wipe and reinstalling it works so great...I just don't get it. Granted I haven't reinstalled all the programs back that I use but I have installed WeatherBug, Google Sync, FaceBook and Slacker and sitting at 49 MB of memory. I assume once I install a theme and the rest of the apps I use the overall performance may go down.

Still, this isn't anywhere close to the same performance I have seen from .75 stock from VZW in the past on any phone. I was talking to a friend and Storm owner and he said try the camera...and I remember the .75 camera of suck but it worked just fine.

Long story, short - JL Wipe and reinstall works great even on .75
    keep us posted....interesting results...would like to see how consistent your mem holds....

I tried the original suggestion (i.e. wipe, load OS, no data restore, add apps back individually) and still had the same early mem loss (~ 11 mb) within the first hour no matter what....even with minimal apps and adding/deleting to check....
    05-31-09 10:13 AM
    How do I wipe my Storm and put it back to original factory settings?
    Options | Security Options | General Settings, then press the BB (or "Menu") key, select "Wipe Handheld"
    Kronic, Deacon is wrong. That is not a wipe in the true sense. For a complete wipe, download JLCommander and use the wipe feature there
    05-31-09 10:57 AM
    keep us posted....interesting results...would like to see how consistent your mem holds....

I tried the original suggestion (i.e. wipe, load OS, no data restore, add apps back individually) and still had the same early mem loss (~ 11 mb) within the first hour no matter what....even with minimal apps and adding/deleting to check....
    What program did you use to wipe?
    05-31-09 10:57 AM

I did the install Friday evening and haven't quick pulled since yesterday. Used slacker while mowing the grass and have fluctuated between 38 and 46MB of memory the entire time. It has still been working great but updating to .148 as we speak...my intention was never to stay on .75 I was just very amazed how great it worked after a JL wipe. I am assuming the second time around .148 will be that much better.
    05-31-09 02:31 PM
    jason, what you're referring to is an OS wipe....the "wipe" i'm suggesting is taking the existing OS and reverting it to default settings, so deacon's instructions are correct.

you're thinking of the wrong thing.
    05-31-09 10:17 PM
    When I upgraded today the DM said there was a warning message indicating there was a problem with my calendar. Only 47 of 59 entries were loaded. Now I have a 5MB leak in about 15 minutes. I hope I can just reload my calender backup and see if this helps.
    05-31-09 11:46 PM
    ern, wipe the calendar using DM and just re-sync. prime example of what happens when stuff gets corrupt. it'll frack your memory!
    05-31-09 11:51 PM
    Patches just did that, restarting and I will let you know in a bit how it looks. Thanks
    06-01-09 12:04 AM
    It started at 40mb and 30 minutes later I am on 31mb nothing running and on charge. Looks like I will have to do the full wipe.
    06-01-09 12:54 AM
    ern, do you have a theme loaded?
    06-01-09 11:33 AM
    im having memory issues too with .148.
    Started off with only 30MB after a battery pull, now it's down to 22.3MB. With no apps running.
    06-01-09 02:42 PM
    I haven't done a wipe in a while (used to be a bes admin). Does it wipe themes as well ?
    06-01-09 02:48 PM
    it will wipe 3rd party apps, you have to check the little box to do so.

and if you're having memory issues i advise against using a theme for awhile...wait for them to catch up with the OS adjustments.
    06-01-09 02:53 PM
    it will wipe 3rd party apps, you have to check the little box to do so.

and if you're having memory issues i advise against using a theme for awhile...wait for them to catch up with the OS adjustments.
    Patches, what do you mean by "wait for them to catch up with the OS adjustments".
    06-01-09 02:56 PM
    .14x builds have implemented some subtle changes that can impact themes, and the themes themselves need to be re-tooled to reflect these adjustments. some things don't work properly in the OS/theme interface, and themes cause your phone to freak out basically.

so i'd say give it a week at least, just use the stock theme for now and try one later...they'll get better.
    06-01-09 02:58 PM
    Thanks for the explanation, patches. Its funny how I used to wipe other user's blackberrys with the slightest problems and never considered it for myself. i'll be doing it tonite.
    06-01-09 03:05 PM
    .14x builds have implemented some subtle changes that can impact themes, and the themes themselves need to be re-tooled to reflect these adjustments. some things don't work properly in the OS/theme interface, and themes cause your phone to freak out basically.

so i'd say give it a week at least, just use the stock theme for now and try one later...they'll get better.
    And based on the feedback so far from our friends across the pond, .151 is even worse with the current themes. Most are reporting themes are completely nonfunctional on .151, with only a couple exceptions so far.
    06-01-09 03:10 PM
    Is this the only legit way to fix the memory leak? I haven't had any major problems until i went from .13x for .148, and for the past three days I have had to do about 3 batt pulls to keep my phone functional.

I have always beena a little leary of "wiping" my phone before an OS upgrade but I'm wiling to at this point.

I'm a mac user so I have to borrow my roommates laptop to do this.
    If .148 is still installed to the DM, can I just back up my phone, use the JD wipe program, and then reload .148? Or do I need to downgrade first??

Any help'd be appreciated!
    Last edited by bearcat237; 06-01-09 at 03:37 PM.
    06-01-09 03:21 PM
    ern, do you have a theme loaded?
    I went back to the original theme, had appleberry glass theme installed. Deleted a few apps and games I had installed that I do not use like Twitterberry, flightpath, and it is working like a charm, no memory loss to speak of.
    06-01-09 08:22 PM
    Is this the only legit way to fix the memory leak? I haven't had any major problems until i went from .13x for .148, and for the past three days I have had to do about 3 batt pulls to keep my phone functional.

I have always beena a little leary of "wiping" my phone before an OS upgrade but I'm wiling to at this point.

I'm a mac user so I have to borrow my roommates laptop to do this.
    If .148 is still installed to the DM, can I just back up my phone, use the JD wipe program, and then reload .148? Or do I need to downgrade first??

Any help'd be appreciated!
    the wiping we're discussing is restoring the device back to factory defaults, not the OS wipe you're referring to. you don't need to re-load the OS unless it was instaleld improperly. the point is that some of the restore databases could be corrupt, causing memory leak. same thing with themes and apps, they are all capable of causing memory leak. email me if you need help.

I went back to the original theme, had appleberry glass theme installed. Deleted a few apps and games I had installed that I do not use like Twitterberry, flightpath, and it is working like a charm, no memory loss to speak of.
    dope! glad to hear it.
    06-01-09 08:35 PM
    Well i followed the instructions and did everything patches said and it worked. It seems memory leak has stopped. Only time i experience one is when i run berryweather. besides that my memory stays around 45.
    06-01-09 09:21 PM
    Glad that the distinction between a wipe and OS wipe was clarified. Reading through the posts it seemed to imply that people were doing an OS wipe rather than a restore to factory default settings. A little unclear to me but this saved me as I was just about to try this tomorrow. Maybe we should say "restore to factory defaults" rather than "wipe".
    06-01-09 09:35 PM
384 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD