I wouldn't bother deleting the BES synch data. Just from my experiences...completely unnecessary.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Generally speaking I agree, but the point of this thread is eliminating corrupt days by wiping and NOT doing a full restore. On BES this would be pointless since the server will auto sync and restore all OS those potentially corrupt files, I suggest clearing the BES cache and manually restoring from DM and allowing the BES to sync your new settings after the wipe.

07-14-09 04:34 PM
    Bumperuski

07-19-09 01:10 AM
    might have found a leak creator, we'll see...

i downloaded slacker radio today cus i wiped all of my mp3 files off when reformatting my memory card, and memory took a big dive all the way from like 42 to 10, and after 3 hours didn't bounce back. performance suffered and i checked, no open apps, so i checked memory just to confirm. did a battery pull so we'll see how it goes moving forward.
    07-20-09 03:54 PM

i downloaded slacker radio today cus i wiped all of my mp3 files off when reformatting my memory card, and memory took a big dive all the way from like 42 to 10, and after 3 hours didn't bounce back. performance suffered and i checked, no open apps, so i checked memory just to confirm. did a battery pull so we'll see how it goes moving forward.
    I have been using Slacker for a while and don't see any significant mem leak. I usually listen during my commute and since .151 I don't drop any mem during my commute.

07-20-09 03:59 PM
    i'm still on .148 though, remember?

gosh, i might have to start posting all my device info like n00bs so we can all follow along with my super advanced troubleshooting techniques jk
    07-20-09 04:15 PM
    i'm still on .148 though, remember?

gosh, i might have to start posting all my device info like n00bs so we can all follow along with my super advanced troubleshooting techniques jk
    Whadayah got a thing against chicano software? Get on .151. ; )

I don't remember seeing a leak with slacker when I was on .148 either, but I admit I have no credible data to back that up.

07-20-09 04:25 PM
    It's very disappointing that there are still so many 3rd party apps that don't behave properly with the Storm.
    07-20-09 08:07 PM
    written poorly = perform poorly
    07-20-09 08:18 PM
    written poorly = perform poorly
    perform poorly = lost browsers
    lost browsers = leak memory
    07-20-09 08:37 PM

still leaking, and i'm only using BBM and email...the leak started today after i downloaded slacker. and i only used slacker once today for like 15 mins when i was walking around!!! i'll give it 24 hours, i won't pull the battery unless performance requires it.

but so far it's been like 4 and a half hours and i've lost about 1/2 of my initial boot up memory, which seems to be pretty consistent since i wiped before my vacation approx 3 weeks ago, maybe more now.
    07-20-09 08:37 PM
    Believe it or not, my Storm rebooted with 2 mb less of memory and it also leaked after upgrading to the new OS, .148. I couldn't deal with it and deleted it.

Beeray
    07-20-09 08:41 PM
    Believe it or not, my Storm rebooted with 2 mb less of memory and it also leaked after upgrading to the new OS, .148. I couldn't deal with it and deleted it.

Beeray
    the OS doesn't cause a leak, we've established that. it's an app or a theme.

but thanks for sharing. or whatever...lol!
    07-20-09 08:42 PM
    still leaking, and i'm only using BBM and email...the leak started today after i downloaded slacker. and i only used slacker once today for like 15 mins when i was walking around!!! i'll give it 24 hours, i won't pull the battery unless performance requires it.

but so far it's been like 4 and a half hours and i've lost about 1/2 of my initial boot up memory, which seems to be pretty consistent since i wiped before my vacation approx 3 weeks ago, maybe more now.
    Glad I checked this thread today. Been wondering what is killing my memory this afternoon. I also installed Slacker today. Looks like that may be the answer. I'm usually hovering around 45, but I'm now at 23 and still dropping.

07-20-09 08:54 PM
    Glad I checked this thread today. Been wondering what is killing my memory this afternoon. I also installed Slacker today. Looks like that may be the answer. I'm usually hovering around 45, but I'm now at 23 and still dropping.

same here, and typing speeds suck balls since i DL'd it also!
    07-20-09 08:56 PM
    same here, and typing speeds suck balls since i DL'd it also!
    Same here. Type a little, wait a few seconds, type some more. I'm going to go ahead and take Slacker off my Storm.

07-20-09 09:00 PM
    I know it isn't the OS causing the memory leak, it was slacker that did it.

Beeray
    07-22-09 04:17 PM
    Slacker on 5.0 and no major leak to speak of. Its not bottoming out like before. I'm gonna wipe and go back to .148 on Monday and install slacker again and see if it still leaks with no other apps installed.

07-25-09 01:07 PM
    Same here. Running .148 with only standard apps plus BerryWeather, GMaps and AIM running. I boot up with 22 MB everytime but go down to 0.0 MB within 12-14 hours.
    07-27-09 10:37 PM
    Oops. I meant to ask if deleting themes and apps and then rebooting clears out the memory or do I HAVE to do a wipe first? I just don't want to spend a lot of time with the phone reloading apps etc. I do want to get this phone working reliably so I don't have to tweak it constantly.
    07-27-09 10:43 PM
    Here's what I suggest:
    Back up you're device. Remember to keep activation code for any paid apps. Do a security wipe as outlined in this thread. Then do a selective restore of user info like contacts, bbm, calendar, bookmarks, etc. Don't restore everything. Change settings manually. Then DL apps. I'd start with apps that are from RIM. Facebook, myspace, I.M. Apps, etc. Then 3rd party apps you can DL one a day. Keep track of memory before and after DL. You'll figure out which one leaks. Its slow and takes time but you only have to do it once and then as you add apps you will figure out what's good and what's bad. I personally stay away from non RIM or carrier provided apps if I can afford it.

07-27-09 11:08 PM
    Thanks. Systematic is the only real way to know what is going on. I guess there are just no short cuts...
    07-27-09 11:18 PM
    The shortcut is to be careful what you load on your phone to begin with.

Best way to hit a breaking ball is to not miss the fastball.

The best offense is a good defense!

07-27-09 11:20 PM
    Back to .148 after the 5.0.140 leak. It was fun but I missed apps and the reboots were horrible!

07-29-09 01:32 PM
    Systematic worked. Thanks Patches. BerryWeather seemed to be the culprit (though it could have been file corruption since I haven't done a wipe since I got the phone.) I'm booting at about 43mb now and it only drops to about 30 throughout the day. Speed has increased too.
    07-30-09 07:44 AM
    I can't help but wonder if OS .151 (and possible others that come after) is not a complete solution to memory problems. Granted, I've not ever had significant issues with memory, but I'm amazed at how well this OS holds and recovers memory. Patches solution is, I believe, the only way to fix persistent memory problems on .148 or earlier, but I'd love to see a memory troubled phone upgrade to .151, and monitor the results. Possibly, .151 is better handling the databases during the migration of info in the restore process???

Thoughts Patches? (besides the fact that I'm a ******)
    07-30-09 09:06 AM
384 ... 1011121314 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD