Ok I got everything back by using DM and then using shrink-a-os. With all my apps my phone now boots up at about 41 megs. Used to boot at about 25 or so. Great improvement.

Only thing missing now is Verizon App Center. Anyone know how to get it back or where you can download it from?

Thanks in advance
    07-09-09 02:06 PM
    Additionally, after doing all the changes/updates, etc. I found out one of the main culprits of my memory leak was StormSlider. Without it I had very little mem leak. Once I reloaded Stormslider, I start losing memory everytime the screen goes off. Within minutes I lose a 1/2 of meg or so. Just in the time it took to type these two messages I lost about 1.5 megs of memory.
    07-09-09 02:20 PM
    I'm noticing a bad memory leak where I go to 0.0 kbs in no time. I would like to try a complete wipe. Is there a thread someone can link where the complete step by step instructions are consolidated in one post? I'm in the process of searching the forums but wanted to go ahead and ask here as well. Thanks in advance if anyone is able to provide that. There are alot of pages in this thread to read every single post in the hopes that one of those posts might contain that information.
    07-09-09 02:50 PM
    I'm noticing a bad memory leak where I go to 0.0 kbs in no time. I would like to try a complete wipe. Is there a thread someone can link where the complete step by step instructions are consolidated in one post? I'm in the process of searching the forums but wanted to go ahead and ask here as well. Thanks in advance if anyone is able to provide that. There are alot of pages in this thread to read every single post in the hopes that one of those posts might contain that information.
    Backup using DM as normal

On your device go to options>security>general settings>bb button>wipe handheld

Once wiped, run DM and plug in. Go to backup/restore>advanced>on left load your backup file. ONLY load contacts, calendar sbd any other "must have" info. (BBM, browser bookmarks, custom dictionary, etc)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-09 02:57 PM
    Thanks Patches. For some reason I thought it would be way more involved than that. Sounds simple enough I will give it a try.
    07-09-09 03:01 PM
    thanks soooo much for all the help and info guys. i dont think i even needed to ask any question in this forum. all the info was there already.

i did a wipe and reload and all is well now! ... yay!

memory is hovering around 25 or so but staying firm.

dennis
    07-09-09 03:11 PM
    Hope this helps but let me preface it by saying I am in no way an expert at this. For the experts out there, if there is any incorrect info please correct it. This is what I did and it worked well for me. I used Shrink-a-os I know others used CrackMem. In either case the instructions are pretty close.

1. Backup your contacts. Open DM, click on Synchronize. Under configure click synchronization, then on the right side click the synchronization button. This will bring up a box with the calendar, memopad, address book, and tasks. It will show the direction of the sync with an arrow. Either both ways, or to or from the device. Make sure the arrow is going to Microsoft Outlook. To change it click on each one and go through the three screens and hit finish. Once you have all the arrows going to Outlook, press ok. This will backup your data to outlook. IMPORTANT - make sure you check Outlook to ensure your data was transferred.

2. backup your messages if you need them via DM. On the main menu click Backup/Restore. Then click the advanced button. From here you will see two windows. In the one on the right find what you want to back up (messages is the email messages) One I wish I would have done was backup my text messages. It is SMS messages. After you click on the one you want, use the double arrow button in the center to move it to the left box. Once you have all the databases you want on the left, click on file (just above the left box) then save. This will save a backup of all your emails, SMS's, MMS, etc.

3. Use shrink-a-os to remove all the apps, backgrounds, etc. that you don't want. It can be downloaded at BlackBerry Apps/Hybrids by lyricidal Once you remove what you don't want, hit the Shrink OS button.

4. Run the "launch loader.exe" from Shrink-a-os. This will then install the OS minus what you removed.

Once you run this, you will have a barebones phone. After I did it, I had nearly 57 megs of free space. I then put back my contacts, calendar entries, memopad, emails and 3rd party apps.

5. Restore your Outlook data. To put contacts, calendar entries, use the reverse of step one. Make sure the arrows have been changed to show them going to your device.

6. Restore your messages. To put messages, sms's etc back on use the reverse of step 2.

7. Resend your service books. (setup - email setup - login - hit bb key - service books - send service books)

At this point, I would recommend running your phone for a day or two as is (no new themes, 3rd party apps, etc.) to see if you still have any memory leaks. If not, I would reload 3rd party apps one at a time to try and isolate where the memory leak was/is coming from. In my case the culprit was Stormslider.

As a side note, all your 3rd party apps will need to be reload/validated/registered

One exception I made to reloading 3rd party programs was Garmin. I reloaded it from DM because if not I would have had to call Garmin tech support to have an email sent with a download link and registration number. Didn't want to go through the trouble.

Finally, a couple of other issues I had was missing programs. Resending the service books recovered some of what I was missing. However, I also had to run the application loader from DM to put back on a couple of things that were still missing that I wanted.

You also might want to check your free memory prior to and after if you use the application loader in DM to add programs. I think it reloaded some stuff I didn't want so I ran the shrink-a-os again and the launch loader.exe again. In my limited knowledge I think it removed or ensured that all I wanted removed was in fact gone.

Again I am quite pleased. Prior to doing this, I had an average of about 25 megs at startup. I now have about 41 with almost all my 3rd party apps and a new theme installed.
    07-09-09 03:50 PM
    I just put the step by step together by using info supplied by Patches in this thread. All credit goes to Patches. Hopefully it is all good. However, any incorrect info I get the credit for.
    07-09-09 03:55 PM
    Another success story. I was consistently dropping between 5-10MB with .148 after upgrading from .65 to .75 to .132 to .148. Did a complete wipe. Only loaded messages, contacts/calendar from Yahoo, and Apps one by one, and now I start up at 45MB and hover around 35MB throughout the day.

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!
    07-09-09 07:59 PM
    ALso. The Facebook 1.6 Application SLOWED my phone to a crawl. The consistent searches for mail, the push email to app client, the status update caches, all but made my phone start up in the late 20's.

Right now I'm running .148

Applications:
    App Store
    Bartender Pro
    BBFileScour [to be deleted]
    BeejiveIM
    Capture It
    *WinDark theme*
    Gmail
    MeterBerry
    Opera Mini
    Pattern Lock
    Quicklaunch
    Ubertwitter
    VVM

And startup at 35.8MB

I also combine ALL messages, save the important ones, and delete the rest every 6 hours. No need to keep them in bulk.
    Last edited by ClassaN0va; 07-10-09 at 02:33 PM.
    07-10-09 02:30 PM
    ALso. The Facebook 1.6 Application SLOWED my phone to a crawl. The consistent searches for mail, the push email to app client, the status update caches, all but made my phone start up in the late 20's.

Right now I'm running .148

Applications:
    App Store
    Bartender Pro
    BBFileScour [to be deleted]
    BeejiveIM
    Capture It
    *WinDark theme*
    Gmail
    MeterBerry
    Opera Mini
    Pattern Lock
    Quicklaunch
    Ubertwitter
    VVM

And startup at 35.8MB
    Fb isn't a cause of a leak or lag. Patternlock could be, your theme, bartender app idk about, and beejive idk either.

So did you try the wipe as outlined and add apps back one at a time to confirm your suspicions?

07-10-09 02:36 PM
    I basically did the process this morning and we will see if it changes anything. I didnt really have any problems before. I still had memory in the teens after a week of use and that was starting around 45 MBs. And that was with installing and deleting some apps here and there.

We will see what happens!
    07-10-09 02:44 PM
    I did it yesterday morning and installed .151 this morning.

In the process of gradually re-installing the apps I used most (I had some games and a few other apps that I never used). So far so good, it seems like the wipe and manual reinstallation of apps did the trick.

My battery used to die within 12 hours too, faster if I talked on the phone and used it a lot. Battery life is far improved since doing this as well.
    07-10-09 03:06 PM
    I tried doing a backup of just my messages and then doing a wipehandheld. After restoring the messages only and synching my info my memory was still below 40 at startup and then I had a problem with my email address not having an icon.

Until I get it figured out I just restored by original "all in one" backup so it was back to "normal", but now it seems slower in a way.
    07-10-09 05:42 PM
    I tried doing a backup of just my messages and then doing a wipehandheld. After restoring the messages only and synching my info my memory was still below 40 at startup and then I had a problem with my email address not having an icon.

Until I get it figured out I just restored by original "all in one" backup so it was back to "normal", but now it seems slower in a way.
    all you have to do is register the servce books from the BIS site....
    07-10-09 06:03 PM
    Looks like .151 solved my memory leak, even with a memory HOG program like epocrates. My memory has never been this stable since Nov. 21

07-10-09 06:22 PM
    Looks like .151 solved my memory leak, even with a memory HOG program like epocrates. My memory has never been this stable since Nov. 21

.151 isn't a official release version though right? I'm pretty novice when it comes to Blackberries but I'm still a technical person, is installing a non release version difficult?

I can't remember what login for the BIS site, would that be my email address or something I would have created?
    07-10-09 06:39 PM
    .151 isn't a official release version though right? I'm pretty novice when it comes to Blackberries but I'm still a technical person, is installing a non release version difficult?

I can't remember what login for the BIS site, would that be my email address or something I would have created?
    many of us dont think it is but you can see all the people that find someway to completely hose up their phones and make it a 5 hour ordeal.

And BIS is what gives you your emails so yes you would have to have it set up
    07-10-09 07:15 PM
    I Actually resolved my memory leak without any of that. all i did was get .151

dennis
    07-11-09 01:52 AM
    Yes, .151 is better at active memory management. Let's hope they (RIM) sticks to this idea!

BUT! Remember there are those who can't/won't load unsupported software so this fix shall remain available to those who need it. And it works.

07-11-09 09:22 AM
    so after a days use, my memory bottom out at the same level as before. Didnt really start any higher. It dropped slower that normal but again its only been 1 day so i will give it more time obviously. No real leak before, no leak now

151 will not solve all the leaks, sorry
    07-11-09 10:09 AM
    Well it runs leaner, but maybe the install didn't have the corrupt data files for settings and such.

But I'm with you, no problems on .148 so I can't say for sure that its the OS or apps.

07-11-09 10:12 AM
    Do I need to use a 3rd party tool to do the wipe? Can I not go Options->Security Settings->General Settings->Wipe Handheld?

I'm on BES so backup up PIM data isn't such a huge issue as it will automatically be reloaded when I reconnect to the server.
    07-14-09 12:19 PM
    The process you outlined is the one I recommend. Its simple and no additional software is needed besides what's on your phone and DM, both every storm owner should have.

Also I suggest you have your bes admin clear your sync cache so you can start clean and restore from DM manually.

07-14-09 04:11 PM
    I wouldn't bother deleting the BES synch data. Just from my experiences...completely unnecessary.

07-14-09 04:29 PM
384 ... 910111213 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD