the one thing i've heard feedback about is the BBM contact list. i suggest you either create contact for each PIN/email address, or do the backup then use the advanced option for the restore.
    06-04-09 02:48 PM
    I did the wipe plus fresh install of .148, after loading contacts and booting back up, started out with 60.5mb...

One thing I noticed when syncing with outlook is that It switched some of my custom profile pics for certain contacts around....

Other than that, have loaded som apps back, boot around 45mb, down to 39 at its lowest so far.
    06-04-09 03:16 PM
    yeah, my windows contacts (cus my version of office doesn't have the new outlook, wtf??) messed up my photos too. most of the people i have pix contacts for have facebook also, so easy fix! lol...
    06-04-09 03:21 PM
    yeah, my windows contacts (cus my version of office doesn't have the new outlook, wtf??) messed up my photos too. most of the people i have pix contacts for have facebook also, so easy fix! lol...
    If you do that thing with FB though, doesn't it send an F'n message to all of your FB friends asking for their info and whatnot?? Making you look like a psycho creeper??
    06-04-09 03:35 PM
    no, they released a 2nd upgrade like days later that disabled that. now you have to actually ask for the phone number by highlighting the user, and hit the bb button then "ask for number" or somethin...it's not an issue anymore.
    06-04-09 04:17 PM
    Noticed with .148 google maps was causing a memory leak. With .75 generally remained at 40 to 45. Then with .148 drop to 30 to 35. Removed 3rd party apps one at a time to find cause. After removing Google maps, have been running at 50 to 55 through the day.
    06-04-09 05:51 PM
    Here is My Experience....

I was booting at 27 mb on .75, then went up to 38 mb on .148. On .148 my memory would drop quickly to about 30, hover there and then drop again to 20 and then hover there. Accept for a 1-3 mb change it would not recover once it plateaued around 20 mb. I was never sure why it would drop in huge chunks, 10 mb in abt an hour or so, then level off. So after no new leak has appeared (Argh!) I finally decided to wipe it and re install. This morning I did the Security Wipe and then reinstalled the Verizon .148 release using DM. Everything went smooth and after 2 bat pulls it is booting at 48 mb!!! That is the highest I have ever seen.

I am on a BES, so while I was talking to my BES Admin about deleting my sync history and getting me a new activation code my phone started the activation process on it's own. So whatever was backed up on the BES was restored. Hopefully that does not come back to haunt me. At the least it may prove that corruption is from DM back up and not BES.

So after about an hour, where I updated AIM, Installed Yahoo messenger, and installed Quickpull I am still at 47 mb.

Note: I still get the error on QP about not being able to allow Input Simulation (only option in Application Permissions is Deny) Despite that QP was able to do the reset, which it never could before. Worst case scenario I will delete QP and go back to Soft Reset which I was using before. (I have a Case, so it is a pain to do the physical Battery pull)

I will hold off on Applications and just watch how stable the memory is for a few days and then slowly add in some Apps. Before I was using AP News, Ever Note, Poynt, & Pandora. I had played around with Viigo, Google Maps and Weather Bug, but thought that were all contributing to memory leak. I will update here with some findings in a few days.

Thanks to all the folks on this thread for the advice!!!
    06-12-09 09:35 AM
    Poynt and Google Maps do not cause a leak and work just fine. Just make sure to download the latest version on Poynt by going to Poynt download for BlackBerry
    06-12-09 09:55 AM
    Poynt and Google Maps do not cause a leak and work just fine. Just make sure to download the latest version on Poynt by going to Poynt download for BlackBerry
    Thanks. So far been up a few hours down to 38.8 mb. So may still have Leak, probably from the darn BES restore. Dag Nabbit.
    06-12-09 12:41 PM
    Well my memory loaded at highest ever, but without any 3rd party apps. Have to monitor now for leaks as I slowly load apps.

Unfortunately,since I didn't restore I now have to setup everything up all over again to get things to my liking. Kind of a pain, but maybe it's worth it. We'll see.

Anyone know what DB I need to restore to get my sound profiles back, rather not set those up again as I had them customized for different scenarios, work, sleep, etc.
    06-12-09 10:47 PM
    Wiped device clean and installed. I started at 51.5. After installing some apps I dropped down to 44.

How do I get my saved games for nintaii back?
    06-13-09 02:56 AM
    If you don't want to wipe, this may work
    Go to desktop manager
    Click backup / restore
    Click advanced
    A window will appear with your phone on the right.
    You should be able to choose whatever database you think may be corrupt (in my case, the calendar), then click 'clear'. You'll need to then resync however you sync.
    06-13-09 02:07 PM
    ^^^^^

suggest doing a full backup before this.

and this is what i was talking about. do the wipe, then use this to do the restore vs doing the clear.

IMO you're better off wiping and then restoring just the essentials, since all you're restoring is preferences and settings, etc.
    06-13-09 06:31 PM
    So I was steady at 42mb throughout the day. Until I made a phone call. I then dropped down to 32, and its stayed there. Weird.
    06-14-09 01:39 AM
    phone uses a lot of memory. it should bounce back after awhile.

STOP LOOKING AT APP MEMORY, JUST USE THE PHONE.

if it starts to lag/slow down, then check open apps, if anything is open, close it. if it's still slow, pull the battery. you do NOT need to ever check the app memory for anything except satisfying your OCD and hybrid pissing contests...
    06-14-09 02:00 AM
    That's kind of what I figured. I only checked memory since the phone did seem a bit laggy after making a call.

I find it funny / ironic that the other apps clean themselves up, but the *phone* function on the phone uses the most and doesn't clean itself.
    06-14-09 02:38 AM
    the phone is the #1 app on the device, it's gonna take up a lot of room. it's like that on all devices, and it WILL bounce back. if it doesn't then there's something else wrong. .148 has a specific improvement (check the change logs if you think i'm lying) to "manage memory more efficently".
    06-14-09 09:53 AM
    Let me first say that I'm sure this does work. A few months ago I wiped my phone for an OS install and forgot to do a backup You know... You get excited for those leaks! Anyway I had to re install and download everything to my phone and synced my contacts from windows mail. My phone ran awesome... Best ever. I had no idea at the time to think anything different than it was the OS and not this. Needless to say now I know why after all this time
    I read all the posts in this thread and I have one question. I was thinking couldn't I do everything listed, wipe don't backup apps contacts etc and then use lynics Slim an OS to take out things I don't want and use the AppLoader to do this as well? I'm at work so I can't see the options in the AppLoader. I would still manually re install all apps and sync contacts.
    06-14-09 11:59 AM
    idk about doing the shrink, seems to be a bandaid fix for a larger issue of the corrupted files/bad 3rd party apps to me. you shouldn't need to shrink the OS. it runs just as fine with 20mb free vs. 88,547mb free...ya know?
    06-14-09 02:28 PM
    idk about doing the shrink, seems to be a bandaid fix for a larger issue of the corrupted files/bad 3rd party apps to me. you shouldn't need to shrink the OS. it runs just as fine with 20mb free vs. 88,547mb free...ya know?
    Wow, how did you get 88,547mb free???
    06-14-09 04:06 PM
    i had chuck norris stare at my phone. he's a good friend of me. we have the same beard stylist
    06-14-09 04:14 PM
    I have a 8130, how do i find out how much memory i have and how do I move things from my phone memory to my memory card.

Thanks,
    Tim
    06-14-09 04:45 PM
    I have a 8130, how do i find out how much memory i have and how do I move things from my phone memory to my memory card.

Thanks,
    Tim
    i'll PM you.
    06-14-09 04:51 PM
    one thought - I too have a bad mem leak on 148 where others are not experiencing any. If I back up using DM and then wipe but restore my address book and memos using the DM backup, would that have the same results?

Once I get an affirmative, I'm going to give this a try.

Also, can the OP please list your 3rd party apps list?

TIA!
    I think that would work. In my experience my Device was restored from back up on BES once I reconnected, but my Memory still went from 38 on when i first installed .148 to 48 after wipe and reinstall. Now I hover in the 30's and have seen recovery of as much as 10 mb after remaining idle for a while as opposed to below 20's with almost no recovery.
    06-18-09 03:27 PM
    can someone tell me how to back up my calender and contacts with outlook please. thanks.
    06-19-09 08:56 PM
384 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD