initially when explaining to everyone i gave the full pathing, the shortened it to "security wipe handheld" to cut out the middle, then just "wipe" as people became accustomed to the topic...sorry for any confusion.

i'm working on consolidating all of the posts that outline what to do and why into one full document, then i'll re-post that and have them close this thread...that way it's more clear and easier to follow.

not like these n00bs read stuff anyway...
    06-01-09 09:37 PM
    initially when explaining to everyone i gave the full pathing, the shortened it to "security wipe handheld" to cut out the middle, then just "wipe" as people became accustomed to the topic...sorry for any confusion.

i'm working on consolidating all of the posts that outline what to do and why into one full document, then i'll re-post that and have them close this thread...that way it's more clear and easier to follow.
    Before I "F" my phone up beyond repair, if i do the handheld wipe, I need to back my contacts up somewhere first?? I use a mac primarily so finding someone's PC to borrow for 1-2 hours is difficult.

I guess my question is can I do this process without using DM?

I can load all my apps back through mobihand or app world so I'm not worried about that.
    06-01-09 11:12 PM
    i guess the google app would save everything, but idk if it is a two way sync, i think it only syncs from desktop to phone. correct me if i'm wrong.
    06-01-09 11:14 PM
    i guess the google app would save everything, but idk if it is a two way sync, i think it only syncs from desktop to phone. correct me if i'm wrong.
    Ehh.. not worth the risk, I'll just have to steal my GF's or parents dell tomorrow at sometime...
    06-01-09 11:17 PM
    good call...not worth it...
    06-01-09 11:21 PM
    i have tried this also, starting yesterday morning. I only have MSN MEssenger, Google Maps, VVM and Slacker installed. I have an extremely heavy user and as of now, I am at 39.8 MB still free after 24 hours. very interesting indeed. I will keep updated every 24 hours.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-09 10:05 AM
    patches quick question--i download 148 and my memory goes down anywhere from 7 to 12 mb in 12 hrs depending on how much im using the phone--Im just asking id that looks like i have a memory leak or does that look normal?

I just checked now and has been running for 11 hrs since battery pull and did a few phone calls/some email/browsed the internet---i booted up at 38 and is now showing 30 ---11 hrs later

plus im running weatherbug and im a theme junkie--lol--i have 14 themes and like 8 apps with bb alerts and bb light always running in background so i think rebooting at 38 is pretty good with all those themes
    06-02-09 04:02 PM
    I just wanted to take the time to thank patches. I had bad leaks since installing the .148 the phone would boot with 28 megs free and work its way down to zero within a few hours. I was reluctant to try this measure but i can say with conviction IT WORKS - THANK YOU PATCHES!

Now i boot with 46.4 and after many hours i seem to be stable at 34.4 megs.

Again. Thanks patches. i am still in the first 24 hours but this is a significant improvement!!

-----------------------------------------
    Apps loaded:
    google maps
    facebook
    flickr
    yahoo
    berrytorch
    talklock(tm)
    QuickPull

Themes loaded:
    Standard Zen
    Lost DHARMA theme 2.6

-----------------------------------------
    Last edited by aperture_disaster; 06-02-09 at 11:16 PM. Reason: added apps and themes i am running so people could know what i am running.
    06-02-09 04:33 PM
    patches quick question--i download 148 and my memory goes down anywhere from 7 to 12 mb in 12 hrs depending on how much im using the phone--Im just asking id that looks like i have a memory leak or does that look normal?

I just checked now and has been running for 11 hrs since battery pull and did a few phone calls/some email/browsed the internet---i booted up at 38 and is now showing 30 ---11 hrs later

plus im running weatherbug and im a theme junkie--lol--i have 14 themes and like 8 apps with bb alerts and bb light always running in background so i think rebooting at 38 is pretty good with all those themes
    your main concern should be if it rebounds. in order to be called a leak it needs to not release the memory when the app is closed. same with themes.

basically as you boot up and start to run your apps, the memory will dip. don't worry about it. i'd suggest that you stop even monitoring the memory. ****same goes for everyone!!!***

now if your phone starts to slow down, then see what stuff is running in the background, close any apps left open, if it still doesn't speed up, then check your memory. if it's really low. reboot.

if this is a recurring issue, you have some apps or themes, even databases for settings and such that are causing the memory issues.
    06-02-09 05:51 PM
    Wiped using JL_CMDR since I couldn't get memcrack to work for me. It kept on resetting my phone. Anyways, I backed up my contacts via Gmail. I reloaded everything yesterday and I am still at a consistent 45 - 50 mb. Thanks Patches. You made me love my storm again.
    06-03-09 09:21 AM
    welcome!

i love your storm too.
    06-03-09 10:01 AM
    Ok so when I woke up I noticed my memory was down to about 15mb from the normal 45mb at boot. I did a battery pul and have been watching it for about an hour and it has gone down to about 42mb then down to 40mb then back up to 42mb then back down to 40mb so basically it keep fluctuating (this is with no apps running except for the normal ones such as phone,browser,messages, etc...) Is this normal? If it is fluctuating why woud it have dropped down to 15mb overnight. It all seems very strange...
    06-03-09 06:19 PM
    Great post. Thanks to all that came up with this. Worked great.
    06-03-09 06:40 PM
    Another confirmation for Patches.

I performed this exact procedure on Sunday for an upgrade from 75 to 148 and my Storm's been working perfectly for 72 hours. No batt pulls or shutdowns--it's been up the whole time. So far so good. I spot-check App memory--it goes down with heavy use, then goes up gradually over time, but it's never near 0. Doing a resync vs. a restore is definitely worth the minor hassle.

Voice quality and radio performance in fringe conditions are definitely better than 75, but the stability was my biggest concern. Now stability seems to be strong.
    06-03-09 07:00 PM
    I see a number of folks recommending sync with outlook, but I am rediscovering yahoo.

They were on my ignore lost since the 1990s until just recently. But it works really well now, syncs great, and is always available even when I'm not at home.

If you had told me that I would recommend yahoo just 4 months ago I would have said you were crazy. But I'm recommending them now.

MB

06-03-09 07:25 PM
    one slight addition to this: I personally don't use outlook sync because I like having the mobility that google calendar offers..however, I did go ahead and decide to use funambol and thought this was the perfect opportunity.

Before this procedure, I would boot up at 28 MB and then gradually over the day, see a drop to 12-10MB where it would stay till I could no longer control my OCD tendencies and would reboot....

After this procedure, I did restore my contacts, BB IM contacts, memos and my custom word dictionary along with some of the 3rd party apps which I would have lost my licenses to. This still works. I booted up at 47 MB and the mem does drop but the system recovers it and is staying steady in the 30s....

so yes, this does work - we need this to be a sticky!

Thanks Patches.
    06-04-09 09:13 AM
    after 2 days of use, i am at 41MB - floating from 37 to 41. i used slacker ALOT and like i said, a heavy user of email and BB messenger. well done patches.

06-04-09 09:52 AM
    Wow, well done.

I was starting up around 25M, and would slowly go down to about 13 after a few hours. By the end of the day, it would go to 0.

Since wiping and installing the hybrid 148/5.0 (Same OS I had before) but without all the other dbs, i'm running currently at 48M and it's not dropping at all.

Thanks all for posting this.
    06-04-09 12:16 PM
    I am starting to think I definitely have a Leak. I upgraded from .75 to .148 and did the restore. It even reconnected automatically with BES. Since then i have been noticing some leakage. Today for Example i went from 34 mb to 27 mb over abt 3 hours of miniml usage, including charging most of that time. So here is my rub. I am connected to a BES, but the version of BES is old. 4.0. (Yes I said 4.0) So before I Starte wiping and re doing things, is there any consensus that my leak may just be connection to a archaic BES?
    06-04-09 01:01 PM
    Holy crap! I just did a complete wipe and reinstall of .148. Upon start up, I had 58.1MB of memory! Its never been that high! Not even on start up! Ever!
    06-04-09 01:10 PM
    I am starting to think I definitely have a Leak. I upgraded from .75 to .148 and did the restore. It even reconnected automatically with BES. Since then i have been noticing some leakage. Today for Example i went from 34 mb to 27 mb over abt 3 hours of miniml usage, including charging most of that time. So here is my rub. I am connected to a BES, but the version of BES is old. 4.0. (Yes I said 4.0) So before I Starte wiping and re doing things, is there any consensus that my leak may just be connection to a archaic BES?
    I think the whole concept behind this is that its the restore which is corrupted and hence the one causing the mem leak....all the successes in this thread validate that concept. So, what you should do is wipe and then very selectively restore, if at all. Since you are on BES, won't your contacts, calendar and email get re-pushed to you when your storm comes back online? There is a 100% success rate here...try it.

PS: always make a backup first; also of your 3rd party apps just in case.
    06-04-09 02:12 PM
    I think the whole concept behind this is that its the restore which is corrupted and hence the one causing the mem leak....all the successes in this thread validate that concept. So, what you should do is wipe and then very selectively restore, if at all. Since you are on BES, won't your contacts, calendar and email get re-pushed to you when your storm comes back online? There is a 100% success rate here...try it.

PS: always make a backup first; also of your 3rd party apps just in case.
    Sounds like a plan. Any opinion on restoring the service books to reconnect to BES, or just having my Admin re connect it?
    06-04-09 02:22 PM
    i noticed that for me too. but remember, iof your BES auto backups up stuff, you are going to have the same porblem. so what you need to do is wipe your phone, dont use the restore feature and go into the BES and righ click your username and choose Clear PIM sync data

06-04-09 02:29 PM
    i noticed that for me too. but remember, iof your BES auto backups up stuff, you are going to have the same porblem. so what you need to do is wipe your phone, dont use the restore feature and go into the BES and righ click your username and choose Clear PIM sync data

Thanks! I think in deference to my BES Admin I will see if any new leaks drop over the next week or so. If so I will do this when I update. Otherwise sometime next week I will just wipe it and re sync. If I abuse him to much he will cut me off.
    06-04-09 02:38 PM
    good call. but remember. turn your radio off on your phone before you have him clear it, because if not, it'll just re-backup everything wirelessly again.

06-04-09 02:40 PM
384 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD