thx for chiming in carols.
    05-29-09 04:26 PM
    What is the original link (thread) that outlines what to do?
    05-29-09 05:07 PM
    What is the original link (thread) that outlines what to do?
    I'm thinking it was just the beginning of this thread....all you're doing is backing up your 3rd party apps, wiping your phone, but then not restoring your data (i.e. calendar, contacts, messages) and just syncing with Outlook, Gmail, or your BES to repopulate that data.....the theory was that when you do a restore of your data you may be installing a corrupted file(s) which could result in memory leak.....

I went thru the process last night and still have the identical early memory leak, so in my case the data restore is not the issue.

One question I have is has anyone else run into a situation where JL Commander did not completely wipe the phone? I used JLC last night and realized today that phone logs and other data was not wiped....think I will use Crackmem or Crackutil next time....
    05-29-09 05:40 PM
    Since 0.148 is going official I will definitely be trying this but it might be useful to all if we started a poll to see how many people this is working for?
    05-29-09 10:55 PM
    Well I did this 24 hrs ago. I booted up at 52.3 MB this morning @ 10:00 and I am now at 20 MB. So unfortunately it didn't work so well for me. Only Third Party apps I have right now are WeatherBug (yes i know) and Where and Storm Tazer. I am also running the Vista Complete Theme and it's the only one i have installed besides the default Zen. I know WeatherBug is a huge contributor to the Mem Leak but -32MB in 12hrs is rediculous.
    05-29-09 11:22 PM
    Dear Patches,

Y'know, I was considering this myself after my experience with 113. The first time I loaded it, it was horrible. Memory leaks, lost data connections, freezing. At the time everyone was talking about how great it was, and I couldn't believe it.

Then, while trying to fix the MMS issue with Civic's help, I wiped back down to .75, then updated back to 113. Without restoring my backup, everything was running great. Didn't fix the MMS on .113 until I loaded whichever COD that was, but that's not relevant here.

My point is, ever since then I've been telling myself, next time I run into a problem like that, before giving up the OS I'll try reloading without the restore, and reload the apps manually. Haven't run into such a bad OS install since then however, and been too lazy to just try.

So I think you probably have something here. Sorry for the ramble!

Love,
    Deacon
    kthxbai
    05-29-09 11:40 PM
    Do you really need to "wipe" your phone? I thought I recalled an option when you install a new OS you can choose not to perform a back-up and restore, isn't this the same thing?
    05-30-09 07:56 AM
    Do you really need to "wipe" your phone? I thought I recalled an option when you install a new OS you can choose not to perform a back-up and restore, isn't this the same thing?
    If you are not changing the OS, but simply trying to identify a memory leak in your 3rd party apps, you don't have to wipe. Just do the factory wipe to remove the 3rd party apps and customized settings, re-synch your contacts/calendar, and reload your apps one by one.

If your changing OS's, up or down or hybrid, wipe or not to wipe is a personal choice. Some swear by it, others say it's not necessary, YMMV.
    05-30-09 09:42 AM
    Well I did this 24 hrs ago. I booted up at 52.3 MB this morning @ 10:00 and I am now at 20 MB. So unfortunately it didn't work so well for me. Only Third Party apps I have right now are WeatherBug (yes i know) and Where and Storm Tazer. I am also running the Vista Complete Theme and it's the only one i have installed besides the default Zen. I know WeatherBug is a huge contributor to the Mem Leak but -32MB in 12hrs is rediculous.
    Don't kill the messenger, as my procedure is a pain & time consuming, but it worked for me.

1. Wipe, upgrade, sync direct to outlook (or whatever) and DO NOT install 3rd party apps. DON'T INSTALL VISTA THEME. Use the default.
    2. You should have huge gains in memory at this point.
    3. Add 1-2 3rd party apps at a time & work with them for 12-24 hours. Check memory
    4. Add 1-2 more 3rd party apps & check memory again in 24 hours.
    5. Install Vista Theme. Wait 24 hours.
    6. Install Weatherbug dead last & see what happens. (I stopped using weatherbug & I just use weather in Viigo.) WB sucks!

That's my .02 cents.
    05-30-09 09:44 AM
    Thanks for the Tips sir. I will def try this later. I wasn't putting this theory down by any means. I definately boot boot up with more MB than usual by doing this, just the mem leak is still present for me. I love WB except for the leak problem that comes with it, although i'm starting to think the Vista Complete Theme might be the culprit because i deleted everything and just put the theme back and the leak seems to still be present right now.
    05-30-09 10:00 AM
    Thanks to Patches for the suggestions.

I have upgraded to every leak and hybrid, sometimes wiping the handheld and sometimes not. Throughout it all, I have had a significant memory leak, starting out at 45mb and within 4 hours, down below 20 with a performance lag.

At Patches' suggestion, I did a "wipe handheld", reloaded .148, but instead of restoring all of my settings, data, 3rd party apps, etc. I just synced my Outlook calendar and address book, and only restored my Password Keeper data and my Custom Word List. I then reloaded my 3rd party apps from the beginning.

It appears that by restoring my data all of the time from upgrade to upgrade, one of the databases may have become corrupt.

I have been running now for 24 hours. I began with 48mb (the most ever) and I am still at 40mb. This stable memory situation has not happened for me in quite a while. I am quite pleased.

Thanks Patches!
    I took the time to do all this and it made no deference at all!! It was a total waste of time!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-30-09 10:13 AM
    Thanks for the Tips sir. I will def try this later. I wasn't putting this theory down by any means. I definately boot boot up with more MB than usual by doing this, just the mem leak is still present for me. I love WB except for the leak problem that comes with it, although i'm starting to think the Vista Complete Theme might be the culprit because i deleted everything and just put the theme back and the leak seems to still be present right now.
    Cool. I've had mixed luck with themes and can't really pinpoint any one theme that doesn't leak. Oh well. I'll take the leaking for cool icons!
    05-30-09 10:41 AM
    I took the time to do all this and it made no deference at all!! It was a total waste of time!

Wait. So you're saying a complete wipe & fresh install of .148 without restoring or reloading anything and just using a default "stock" Storm with no apps or themes or anything that doesn't come default and you still have problems?

Sounds very strange to me. Maybe you need to replace your Storm with another one.
    05-30-09 10:56 AM
    Wait. So you're saying a complete wipe & fresh install of .148 without restoring or reloading anything and just using a default "stock" Storm with no apps or themes or anything that doesn't come default and you still have problems?

Sounds very strange to me. Maybe you need to replace your Storm with another one.
    That is not what he said. Do not do a restore from backup. I did my calendar and contacts from Outlook. I then did my 3rd party apps 1 at a time. It did not help the memory leak. I could have restored and the apps and my full backup and been just as well off. Of course the memory is better if don't restore any backup or 3rd party apps.

05-30-09 11:22 AM
    That is not what he said. Do not do a restore from backup. I did my calendar and contacts from Outlook. I then did my 3rd party apps 1 at a time. It did not help the memory leak. I could have restored and the apps and my full backup and been just as well off. Of course the memory is better if don't restore any backup or 3rd party apps.

So it did work for you then. You have successfully confirmed that the back-up of your third-party apps is not the cause of your memory leak.

Now, as you reinstalled your 3rd party apps, at what point did the memory leak occur? If you followed the original instructions and ran the phone for an extended period of time (up to 24 hours) between each app (or couple of apps) that you installed, you should have narrowed it down to the app that's causing the issue.

This is not a "do this and all your problems will be fixed" solution. It's a trouble-shooting process, and it can be painstaking and it can take a while.
    05-30-09 11:30 AM
    So it did work for you then. You have successfully confirmed that the back-up of your third-party apps is not the cause of your memory leak.

Now, as you reinstalled your 3rd party apps, at what point did the memory leak occur? If you followed the original instructions and ran the phone for an extended period of time (up to 24 hours) between each app (or couple of apps) that you installed, you should have narrowed it down to the app that's causing the issue.

This is not a "do this and all your problems will be fixed" solution. It's a trouble-shooting process, and it can be painstaking and it can take a while.
    Exactly my point. I'm trying to find out if you rlevin have done a clean install and used your Storm without any issues before you "tricked it out" with anything. And if the issues only start after you change it from a "stock" Storm.
    05-30-09 11:59 AM
    this method DEFINETALY works

here are my 'steady' app mem levels through the history of my phone:

15 MB (.75)
    22 MB (.141)
    30 MB (.141/v5 by BBCrackman)
    28 MB (.148)
    25 MB (.148/v6 by BBCrackman)
    47 MB (.148/v5 by OneOfaKindDPC) This was the first time I used patches' method
    05-30-09 12:47 PM
    if you're loading apps and a theme and you get a leak or lag, then the theme or the apps are the problem. the purpose of this exercise is to narrow down the variables. some people were having horrible memory management issues, and i suspected it was one of three things
    apps
    theme
    corrupt restore files

if you think of it in a problem solving critical process, you just eliminate the variables. i'd suggest theme and restore logs first, they're the easiest to get back on.

as for the apps, i'd do a fresh install from DM or OTA, but make sure that you're waiting awhile before you install 'em to make sure that the memory is handling well, and no lag.
    05-30-09 01:11 PM
    if you're loading apps and a theme and you get a leak or lag, then the theme or the apps are the problem. the purpose of this exercise is to narrow down the variables. some people were having horrible memory management issues, and i suspected it was one of three things
    apps
    theme
    corrupt restore files

if you think of it in a problem solving critical process, you just eliminate the variables. i'd suggest theme and restore logs first, they're the easiest to get back on.

as for the apps, i'd do a fresh install from DM or OTA, but make sure that you're waiting awhile before you install 'em to make sure that the memory is handling well, and no lag.
    You'd think that this would be the most logical thing people would think of but I am continually amazed how difficult a concept this is for people to grasp.

I guess it's just easier for them to complain and blame everyone and everything rather than take the time to logically troubleshoot something.
    05-30-09 01:33 PM
    the issue is not to free up memory, but to eliminate possible sources something that doesn't efficently use what memory you have.

if your phone runs fine on 15mb it won't run any better on 50. it will only go as fast as the slowest board bus or CPU cycle, etc...so having the most memory is just a pissing contest. it is not relevant to the topic that we're discussing. we're talking memory management, and how apps/themes/restore files can impact that.

remember, the .14x builds brought some new stuff to the table. keyrates increased, etc...

so its not too hard to believe that some of the apps/themes/restore files might not match up perfectly any more. this process is to determine where the issue lies, and how to resolve it.
    05-30-09 01:56 PM
    Would be great if there was some easy way to get the applications on the phone for a test group of users. Has to be some common issue with either set of applications installed, theme running or how the phone is set-up. If we could determine the common points of convergence with the set of users we'd be able to isolate what's sucking up the memory resources. I find it hard to believe that simply reinstalling apps one by one would yield any better results than currently on the phone. Seems to still be hit or miss based on responses from others.

Would really love to see how users who boot up with 50MB are configured, even running .148 hybrid I'm booting up with 33MB, then drifting down to 18-20MB. I've been uninstalling various apps and haven't found any overall change in the results.

Interestingly, I monitored my phone today, was sitting at 32-33MB for almost 4 hours (didn't use the phone other than to monitor the memory). Then suddenly I saw that the memory drifted down to 20MB in a matter of an hour, again with no apparent usage of the phone. Can't explain how memory stays nearly static for 4 hours - plenty of time for any apps to boot up, cache to be established, yet then suddenly see memory drop 10MB in an hour. Been sitting nearly static after that now for 3 hours, and that includes me now using the phone, running several apps, etc. I'm beginning to think this whole memory thing is a game in itself

Interesting - had my son look at his memory (he never looks at it), he's running .75 still, he was at 1.8MB memory free and phone was still functioning fine. He rebooted, has less apps than I and had only 15MB of free memory.

Now wouldn't it really be funny if all this memory issue was more a problem in how the OS determined how much memory was available (due to variables) and didn't accurately reflect actual memory/free usage? No way to know if the % free is accurate or just improper reporting by the OS.
    05-30-09 02:14 PM
    .75 has a bug that will show the wrong app memory, so idk how close to true that measurement is...

there are stories of people running on 0MB free, but idk what oS THAT IS ON...
    05-30-09 02:27 PM
    the issue is not to free up memory, but to eliminate possible sources something that doesn't efficently use what memory you have.
    i understand that and that was not the purpose to my posting my app memory levels. i've had pretty much the same apps and themes since before i upgraded with a few exceptions so that is not an issue with mine.

but as you can see, the two previous upgrades i did before the last, my steady memory actually went down. now it's very unlikely that memory management decreased through an upgrade in OS, so what that shows is that i most likely DID have corrupt files within the backup.

i wasn't posting the mem figures as much to brag about my app memory as to show the upward trend, then the downward trend once i had the corrupt file, and then the upward leap again when i used your method to pretty much start from scratch.
    05-30-09 07:09 PM
    How do I wipe my Storm and put it back to original factory settings?
    05-30-09 09:44 PM
    How do I wipe my Storm and put it back to original factory settings?
    Options | Security Options | General Settings, then press the BB (or "Menu") key, select "Wipe Handheld"
    05-31-09 12:59 AM
384 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD