I am connected to my work BES which will synch my calendar/tasks/contacts and other stuff, but does it do my email also? If not, then presumably I can restore emails/sms text messages from databases from a back-up. But if I do this will I be defeating the purpose of trying this as a fix to mem leak?
    it won't sync messages, if you need messages i suggest you send them to an email account to have saved on the internet, then forward to yourself from a PC after you've done the wipe.
    05-27-09 04:33 PM
    Thanks to Patches for the suggestions.

I have upgraded to every leak and hybrid, sometimes wiping the handheld and sometimes not. Throughout it all, I have had a significant memory leak, starting out at 45mb and within 4 hours, down below 20 with a performance lag.

At Patches' suggestion, I did a "wipe handheld", reloaded .148, but instead of restoring all of my settings, data, 3rd party apps, etc. I just synced my Outlook calendar and address book, and only restored my Password Keeper data and my Custom Word List. I then reloaded my 3rd party apps from the beginning.

It appears that by restoring my data all of the time from upgrade to upgrade, one of the databases may have become corrupt.

I have been running now for 24 hours. I began with 48mb (the most ever) and I am still at 40mb. This stable memory situation has not happened for me in quite a while. I am quite pleased.

Thanks Patches!
    Okay, trying to understand this because every OS or Hybrid I load I have basically the same percentage memory leak...my primary leak happens in the first hour after a batt pull.....ranges from -5 to - 11 mb....

so I believe you are saying to not do a restore when loading the new OS (or hybrid), load 3rd party apps back in individually, and then simply sync calendar & contacts with Outlook, BES, etc., without restoring your backed up data....

so the backed up data (i.e. calendar, contacts, etc.) could be corrupted and thus contribute to leak?
    05-27-09 11:45 PM
    Okay, trying to understand this because every OS or Hybrid I load I have basically the same percentage memory leak...my primary leak happens in the first hour after a batt pull.....ranges from -5 to - 11 mb....

so I believe you are saying to not do a restore when loading the new OS (or hybrid), load 3rd party apps back in individually, and then simply sync calendar & contacts with Outlook, BES, etc., without restoring your backed up data....

so the backed up data (i.e. calendar, contacts, etc.) could be corrupted and thus contribute to leak?

ROGER THAT, CHUCK!
    05-27-09 11:46 PM
    ROGER THAT, CHUCK!
    thanks Patches...

will give this a try tonight...overall my Storm runs quite well, so I should probably just remove meterberry and stop paying so much attention to available memory....

just seeing that initial 5 to 11 mb loss in the first hour after a batt pull just doesn't make sense....went back to the stock theme with no change. Removed some apps, but didn't really change. I really don't think we should have to strip down our Storms and use a bare minimum of apps just to increase the available memory. I want to be able to use many of the helpful and neat apps that are available, so if I'm able to do that without a real lag in response, I'll be quite satisfied.....
    05-28-09 12:26 PM
    thanks Patches...

will give this a try tonight...overall my Storm runs quite well, so I should probably just remove meterberry and stop paying so much attention to available memory....

just seeing that initial 5 to 11 mb loss in the first hour after a batt pull just doesn't make sense....went back to the stock theme with no change. Removed some apps, but didn't really change. I really don't think we should have to strip down our Storms and use a bare minimum of apps just to increase the available memory. I want to be able to use many of the helpful and neat apps that are available, so if I'm able to do that without a real lag in response, I'll be quite satisfied.....
    i agree. my experience leads me to believe that the memory issues are from apps that don't manage their resources very well...once that changes, we'll be able to bog the thing down with 30 apps!
    05-28-09 12:32 PM
    I agree and look forward to better managed apps!
    05-28-09 12:58 PM
    This is a damn good idea. I will definitely give this a try. It does make sense because no matter what I do or what apps I have installed/uninstalled, I still have a huge memory leak. With. .148 I boot with 38MB, drop 10-15MB in the 1st hour. Through out the day I will get as low as 2MB. Some days are better than others. I make sure that all apps are closed if I am not using it. Will try this method when I get off work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by irie; 05-28-09 at 01:02 PM.
    05-28-09 12:59 PM
    Thanks to OP for a very informative post. I tried out and have been slowly loading Apps on one at a time. It has been 2 days and I have easily regained my app memory back to peak of ~47MB. Memory does dip to 33MB on heavy app use but after closing app and surfing web on browser and then auto/manual memory cleaning I notice it climbs easily back to 43MB and up. So fluctuating peak mem between 43MB-47MB. Slowly adding apps to see who is the mem leak perpetrator. (By mem leak, I mean does the app un-allocate memory it reserved for itself)

Platform: 4.0.0.114 (.90 Radio Code)

Apps Loaded:
    • Air Traffic Control
    • Berry Weather
    • Connect Four
    • Field Towers
    • Gmail
    • Gsync
    • Gtalk
    • Gmaps
    • Facebook
    • Forward with Edit
    • Nintaii
    • Parking Lot
    • Stormslider (not installed normal... renamed 'StormSlider.cod' to 'Lock.cod' and put in Java folder during OS install to force it to install together
    • Storm Today Plus Weatherbug Hidden
    • VibAndRing

Apps NOT-Loaded:(Suspected Memory Leaks)
    • iBee Farting
    • Storm Level Pro
    • Touch Bubbles

The only thing that everyone should note is that your BBM Pin Contacts will be lost. To restore, I went to "Backup and Restore"->Advanced and selected "File" on the left side and double clicked my backup file. Selected "Blackberry Messenger" from the list and everything was back again. Memory still holding strong and clearing up after App use.

Did same stuff above for my Custom Dictionary ("CustomWordsCollection").
    Last edited by BiggyMcWang; 05-28-09 at 01:06 PM.
    05-28-09 01:01 PM
    Glad it's working!
    05-28-09 01:33 PM
    What are you all using to check Storm Battery and memory levels?

I want to keep an eye on my memory level/processes to check for any leaks. Thanks
    05-28-09 01:38 PM
    ripple, i suggest you just forget about it unless your storm starts to slow down...a watched pot won't boil...
    05-28-09 01:42 PM
    Patches, what should i use if my pot starts to boil down the road then? I just loaded .148 this morning. My thumbs in the air so far.
    05-28-09 02:03 PM
    if you get memory issues, it's either a 3rd party app, your restore files were corrupt, or you need to clear your device logs. all are easy fixes. lemme know if you need help, email address in my sig.
    05-28-09 02:14 PM
    If an app was the cause of the memory leak, instead of uninstalling .148 and the reinstalling it without the apps, could you just uninstall one app at a time to see if that was the cause. Seems like an easier way then going through the whole OS thing and then installing your apps one at a time.
    05-28-09 02:17 PM
    well if the app isn't the problem, what if its the database for the app? or for your settings? the wipe handheld through the security settings is the best way to go, then install fresh one at a time.
    05-28-09 02:28 PM
    Yeah I was just installing OS from scratch to rule out corrupt database. Been addicted to squeezing performance out while waiting for a official release. It appears to be a hobby now though (tweaking) .
    05-28-09 02:40 PM
    What are you all using to check Storm Battery and memory levels?

I want to keep an eye on my memory level/processes to check for any leaks. Thanks
    I use meterberry very accurate and I think its like 2-3 bucks.
    05-28-09 05:01 PM
    okay I'm in the middle of wiping, reloading OS, and replacing 3rd party apps individually....didn't restore data, will do so in the morning on my BES...

I backed up all of my 3rd party apps before wiping, but now how do I go about loading back individually?

the backup file is simply an .alx file that contains ALL of my 3rd party apps....there are individual files in there when I look for "all file types" but DM won't let me load (or won't recognize) the individual app files....

any suggestions????

***INSTANT UPDATE: JUST FIGURED IT OUT....LOADED THE .ALX FILE INTO DM AND IT SEPARATED IT OUT FOR ME TO CHOOSE
    Last edited by wademac; 05-28-09 at 09:54 PM.
    05-28-09 09:51 PM
    you don't use the restore function.

the point is that its not the OS install that is the problem, it is the restore data files, they're the issue.

so what you wanna do is the security "wipe handheld", and then sync contacts and calendar, or use BES for that...and then re-install 3rd party apps manually, not from a restore...
    05-28-09 09:54 PM
    This is one of the many reasons i wipe at every new OS install

glad to hear things are workin out for ya!
    What about BB messenger contacts? How are you guys getting those back after a wipe? Also, what about paid themes, will those be lost?
    05-28-09 10:09 PM
    I wanna try this and seems to make good sense to me but i'm not sure how to go about syncing my contacts back to my Storm. I don't need messages or anything like that. Just my contacts. Thanks.
    05-29-09 12:35 AM
    you use DM to sync your contacts to outlook, or to an internet based email account (i use my yahoo contacts to save everything)

then wipe!
    05-29-09 12:39 AM
    Awesome. Easy enough. Thanks Patches!

#1 Most Helpful and informative person on CB!
    I'm voting you for President of 2012.
    05-29-09 12:42 AM
    no way, i don't want that mess...maybe if they had like some "legal advisor" position, i'd take that
    05-29-09 12:47 AM
    I wanna try this and seems to make good sense to me but i'm not sure how to go about syncing my contacts back to my Storm. I don't need messages or anything like that. Just my contacts. Thanks.
    Use google sync. DOwnload it to your phone and sync prior to wipe. After wipe reinstall google sync onto phone, sync again, and your contacts (and calendar if you wish) will sync back OTA
    05-29-09 12:52 AM
384 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD