Thanks to Patches for the suggestions.

I have upgraded to every leak and hybrid, sometimes wiping the handheld and sometimes not. Throughout it all, I have had a significant memory leak, starting out at 45mb and within 4 hours, down below 20 with a performance lag.

At Patches' suggestion, I did a "wipe handheld", reloaded .148, but instead of restoring all of my settings, data, 3rd party apps, etc. I just synced my Outlook calendar and address book, and only restored my Password Keeper data and my Custom Word List. I then reloaded my 3rd party apps from the beginning.

It appears that by restoring my data all of the time from upgrade to upgrade, one of the databases may have become corrupt.

I have been running now for 24 hours. I began with 48mb (the most ever) and I am still at 40mb. This stable memory situation has not happened for me in quite a while. I am quite pleased.

Thanks Patches!
    05-26-09 06:13 AM
    Ditto on that call out to Patches I did the same thing and so far memory hasn't dropped past 49mb. (standing ovation for Patches) from me too.
    05-26-09 06:18 AM
    This is one of the many reasons i wipe at every new OS install

glad to hear things are workin out for ya!
    05-26-09 09:09 AM
    This is one of the many reasons i wipe at every new OS install

glad to hear things are workin out for ya!
    Wiping would not avoid the problem. It's when you restore your data from the backup that the corruption occurs.
    05-26-09 09:21 AM
    When you say wipe, did you use JDCLMR (or whatever it's called) or the wipe under security options?
    05-26-09 09:55 AM
    I have no problem reloading all of my 3rd party apps individually, and my contacts and calendar are synced via google sync. My only issue would be how do I restore my e-mail messages, or do I have to just start again with them?
    05-26-09 10:11 AM
    I have no problem reloading all of my 3rd party apps individually, and my contacts and calendar are synced via google sync. My only issue would be how do I restore my e-mail messages, or do I have to just start again with them?
    I backed up just my Password Keeper data and my messages, and restored those without a problem.
    05-26-09 11:22 AM
    When you say wipe, did you use JDCLMR (or whatever it's called) or the wipe under security options?
    I used CrackMem to wipe the phone and reload the OS.
    05-26-09 11:23 AM
    Hmm, so perhaps if I wipe the phone I'd get even better memory. Now I boot up with 50Mb, leaks down to maybe 38/39 before the battery drains. I have never wiped before installing any OS
    05-26-09 11:25 AM
    Hmm, so perhaps if I wipe the phone I'd get even better memory. Now I boot up with 50Mb, leaks down to maybe 38/39 before the battery drains. I have never wiped before installing any OS
    I don't believe you would see much memory gain by wiping and then restoring your data. The gain would come by NOT restoring your data, but just syncing your contacts and calendar data and reinstalling everything else from scratch.
    05-26-09 11:32 AM
    Roger that steve before install apploader wipes everything for you but it also creates a backup of 3rd party stuff that it uses to reinstall at the end. When you use the apploader it gives two options to load all saved settings and stuff at the end or to load clean just the OS, programs files I believe it is the second window after it shows you the programs to be upgraded.
    Warning if you do a clean install your contacts, emails and all will be gone that is why you sync it with outlook it will load contacts into your phone later so you don't have to do that, lol. With a 100 or so phone numbers man that saves me like a years worth from my life, hehe.
    Last edited by akafirestorm; 05-26-09 at 01:29 PM.
    05-26-09 01:26 PM
    Can someone give a bit more detailed instructions on what to do here? .148 has been a complete lemon for me, boots with ~33MB (same as .141 or .113 which I also used) but after about a day I'm down to about 5MB without even having any programs running.

I'm really think that it does have to do with some of the original 3rd party apps I have installed on my storm.

So how do I go about backing up just contacts and e-mails and then wipe everything else so I can install from scratch? Thanks in advance, hopefully others will find this useful as well.
    05-26-09 02:03 PM
    Can someone give a bit more detailed instructions on what to do here? .148 has been a complete lemon for me, boots with ~33MB (same as .141 or .113 which I also used) but after about a day I'm down to about 5MB without even having any programs running.

I'm really think that it does have to do with some of the original 3rd party apps I have installed on my storm.

So how do I go about backing up just contacts and e-mails and then wipe everything else so I can install from scratch? Thanks in advance, hopefully others will find this useful as well.
    To sync your contacts and calendar, choose "Synchronize" from the main menu in DM. Make sure all of your data makes it into Outlook before you do anything!!!

To back up your emails, choose "Backup and Restore" from DM and then "Advanced". You will see all of your databases populate the list on the right. Select only "Messages" and click the double arrow in the middle pointing to the left. You will see messages on the left side now. You should choose "Save As" from the File menu just above the left box (remember where you save it). You can then wipe and reload the OS, then sync your data back to the device (REMEMBER: change the direction of the sync from Outlook to the device, unless you have it syncing in both directions). Then you choose "Restore" and find the Messages file you saved to restore. That's about it. There are many "How To" descriptions in this forum that go into much more detail.

You will have to redo all of your device defaults, including Options>Advanced Options>Default Services.
    05-26-09 02:15 PM
    To sync your contacts and calendar, choose "Synchronize" from the main menu in DM. Make sure all of your data makes it into Outlook before you do anything!!!

To back up your emails, choose "Backup and Restore" from DM and then "Advanced". You will see all of your databases populate the list on the right. Select only "Messages" and click the double arrow in the middle pointing to the left. You will see messages on the left side now. You should choose "Save As" from the File menu just above the left box (remember where you save it). You can then wipe and reload the OS, then sync your data back to the device (REMEMBER: change the direction of the sync from Outlook to the device, unless you have it syncing in both directions). Then you choose "Restore" and find the Messages file you saved to restore. That's about it. There are many "How To" descriptions in this forum that go into much more detail.

You will have to redo all of your device defaults, including Options>Advanced Options>Default Services.
    Much appreciated. So just use JL_CMDR for the wipe?
    05-26-09 02:21 PM
    one thought - I too have a bad mem leak on 148 where others are not experiencing any. If I back up using DM and then wipe but restore my address book and memos using the DM backup, would that have the same results?

Once I get an affirmative, I'm going to give this a try.

Also, can the OP please list your 3rd party apps list?

TIA!
    05-26-09 02:24 PM
    one thought - I too have a bad mem leak on 148 where others are not experiencing any. If I back up using DM and then wipe but restore my address book and memos using the DM backup, would that have the same results?

Once I get an affirmative, I'm going to give this a try.

Also, can the OP please list your 3rd party apps list?

TIA!
    You can try, the problem is you don't know which database is corrupted. If it's your contacts or calendar, then you will still have a memory leak. The idea is to minimize or eliminate what your restore through DM. That's why you should sync through Outlook and just use the DM Restore for those things that are absolutely not replaceable any other way, such as messages.
    05-26-09 02:30 PM
    Much appreciated. So just use JL_CMDR for the wipe?
    I use CrackMem, but jl_cmdr would be just fine.
    05-26-09 02:30 PM
    Excellent information......

Patches, your source for greatness.
    05-26-09 02:33 PM
    you're welcome everyone!

and keep in mind, DM should be wiping the OS for you, but the wipe i was implying was all of the databases based on the "restore" function after the OS upgrade...

the other suggestion is to make sure that old OS builds are UNINSTALLED before you install the new one you're going to use...
    05-26-09 03:28 PM
    You can try, the problem is you don't know which database is corrupted. If it's your contacts or calendar, then you will still have a memory leak. The idea is to minimize or eliminate what your restore through DM. That's why you should sync through Outlook and just use the DM Restore for those things that are absolutely not replaceable any other way, such as messages.
    gotcha....thanks for the clarification. I usually don't sync through Outlook - I use google sync on the desktop to my gmail calendar and then google sync on my BB to sync it to my BB calendar.... i know, i know....but I hardly ever attach my BB to the laptop...
    05-26-09 03:31 PM
    Question: those that have done this successfully, are you running a theme? I don't see a leak until I use a theme and when I do, I sometimes drop to 5MB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-09 09:22 PM
    Question: those that have done this successfully, are you running a theme? I don't see a leak until I use a theme and when I do, I sometimes drop to 5MB.

Many themes are notorious leakers, while some are known not to leak too much. I only use the stock theme that came with the Storm.
    05-27-09 06:04 AM
    I try xnd do the same thing myself every install and it greatly helps!

05-27-09 06:14 AM
    I just wanted to thank you guys for mentioning this. Everything worked very smoothly. Phone now boots with 52MBs!

I've added back a couple of my 3rd party apps, but for now only the ones that I really use a lot, but we'll see how the memory holds up.
    05-27-09 10:06 AM
    I am connected to my work BES which will synch my calendar/tasks/contacts and other stuff, but does it do my email also? If not, then presumably I can restore emails/sms text messages from databases from a back-up. But if I do this will I be defeating the purpose of trying this as a fix to mem leak?
    05-27-09 02:53 PM
384 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD