06-03-10 08:54 PM
119 ... 345
tools
    Let it be for now.. I thank you anyway.. I will wait a while tos ee if it or later version becomes official. I had a lot of program changes to make after install.. Passwords and the like. I am willing to wait
    12-27-09 06:10 AM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. low return voice when verifying. High failure rate when identifying contact.
    even after training.. for what it is worth .. can not be trained with bluetooth
    Problems are not bluetooth dependent.
    Hangs and fails to actually dial the call after confirmation on occasion .
    2. Always exhibits low return voice.. Will hit the correct contact sometimes
    3 I believe it is in all modes though I use bluetooth Plantronics 600 series
    4.. I had no trouble whatsoever with 4.7..
    12-27-09 06:22 PM
    1. Low garbeled return voice when verifying. Fails to identify requested contact more often than not.
    Problems are not unique to bluetooth.
    Sometimes fails to actually dial the call after confirmation initiated.
    2. Always exhibits low garbeled return voice.. difficult to understand using bluetooth.
    3 Problem is in all modes but more pronounced via the Jawbone Prime or Plantronics bluetooths I use.
    4. It worked flawlessy before upgrading to 5.0.0.328.
    It appears to be a software issue
    12-30-09 12:32 PM
    Hey, I'm sure you've heard this before, but the voice dial is far better in the new leak....419 I think it is. The UI still sucks, but it gets the name right almost everytime. Now they just need to go back to the UI from 4.7 and it will be great.

By UI, I mean that in 4.7 the phone didn't sound pissed off at me when I hit voice dial lol. Now it sounds like a computerized version of a really rude telephone operator, not at all friendly like it was in 4.7.
    12-30-09 06:01 PM
    Hey my_2_cents, yup, seems like there has been a big improvement and VAD now seems to work for 99% of people (or higher), so that's great news.

The UI doesn't bother me too much... But if you don't like listening to the voice prompts, you can always disable them. But I definitely do understand what you mean... the voice is no longer as pleasant.
    12-30-09 07:30 PM
    I thought I would provide my experience with upgrading to .419 from .328. I use VAD a lot and could not live with the issues I had in .328 release from verizon.

I upgraded using the official .419 release from the blackberry website. I also used shrink os when i did this. VAD was horrible. The return/confirmation voice was much louder than in .328, but it had about 10% accuracy. I used the voice adaptation and it got even worse.

I then wiped using BBSAK and reinstalled the same version of .419 without using shrink os and now VAD is working very well. All of the previous issues that I had (which were all of the issues described on this thread) were fixed. I would estimate that my accuracy is now near 95% like it was with 4.7. I am not sure if it was the wipe or not using shrink os, but it is better after wiping and NOT using shrink os. For what it's worth, .419 gives you a little more app memory anyway so shrink os is not as necessary.
    01-11-10 09:39 AM
    I for one am getting a bit tired of getting an upgrade thats a downgrade. My VAD worked great, know it sucks. I call verizon and they say to go back to 4.7. I have been told this 3 times. I want them to do there jobs and fix the problem or give me a noew non storm phone.
    03-03-10 09:36 PM
    I also hated VAD on 328. It is MUCH better on 419. I dare say the best ever. I don't recall anything getting broken in 419 that was working on 328 and it is better in several ways. Especially if you are a frequent VAD user, as I am, I cannot recommend strongly enough that you try 419. It is not official for Verizon, but I believe it is for one of the other carriers.
    Good luck and Enjoy!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-10 09:52 PM
    5.0.0.419 is official for a few carriers, and as albertdc indicated, it has a fully functioning VAD.
    03-03-10 11:10 PM
    I recently moved to a Storm 2 9550 as my company wouldn't let me continue to use a WinMo phone anymore for connecting to office email.

I am running v5.0.0.320

I find the voice dialing on this device to be significantly worse than that on the WinMo device.

First, recognition is poor generally.

Second, recognition looks for EXACT recognition. On the WinMO Device, a contact of John Q. Smith would be recognized if I said "John Smith". Here, it is not, I MUST say John Q. Smith

Third, VAD cannot handle multiple work numbers. I have many contacts with a direct dial number (Work 1) and a general number (Work 2). I can tell it to use Work 1, and it recognizes it, and then just hangs. No problems like this on the WinMo device (which uses Microsoft's voice recognition - essentially the same recognition MS puts into Sync)

I tried to switch to Vlingo which seems better - but there doesn't appear to be any way to disable the Nuance software for Bluetooth hands free. I'd really like to get rid of it (unless there's an upgrade that would fix this.)

Overall, HIGHLY disappointed in this aspect of Blackberry.
    05-23-10 09:05 AM
    Try a different OS version. You should have a better experience.

05-23-10 04:43 PM
    Try a different OS version. You should have a better experience.

Been thinking about that. When the Blackberry has content protection enabled on an enterprise basis, can I update the OS? Where do I find a Verizon compatible update? (Certainly haven't seen any at Verizon.)

I will check out the OS thread - and realize this is a bit off-topic, but getting answers to these fundamental questions quickly would be useful.
    05-24-10 10:49 AM
    If you're on a 9550, Verizon has issued an update. Just go to BlackBerry® Software Updates and download 5.0.0.607 which is the most recent Verizon update.
    05-24-10 05:23 PM
    I recently moved to a Storm 2 9550 as my company wouldn't let me continue to use a WinMo phone anymore for connecting to office email.

I am running v5.0.0.320

I find the voice dialing on this device to be significantly worse than that on the WinMo device.

First, recognition is poor generally.

Second, recognition looks for EXACT recognition. On the WinMO Device, a contact of John Q. Smith would be recognized if I said "John Smith". Here, it is not, I MUST say John Q. Smith

Third, VAD cannot handle multiple work numbers. I have many contacts with a direct dial number (Work 1) and a general number (Work 2). I can tell it to use Work 1, and it recognizes it, and then just hangs. No problems like this on the WinMo device (which uses Microsoft's voice recognition - essentially the same recognition MS puts into Sync)

I tried to switch to Vlingo which seems better - but there doesn't appear to be any way to disable the Nuance software for Bluetooth hands free. I'd really like to get rid of it (unless there's an upgrade that would fix this.)

Overall, HIGHLY disappointed in this aspect of Blackberry.
    I'm going through the same damn thing! If have two numbers for example:

Michael Mobil 1 - (123) 215-2155

Michael Mobil 1 - (123) 215-2156

I use voice dial :

BB - "Say a Command"

Me - "Call Michael Mobil 1"

BB - "Did you say call Michael Mobil........(long pause).....1?

Me - "Yes"

BB - "Calling with no beep sound after (screen is white with calling printed on top and nothing happens) I back space to get out of it.

Now if I take that second number and place it in "other" or "home" or any slot that's empty for example and I re-voice dial "call michael work 1" it will now do it.

I'm completely dumbfounded as to why is such an issue. My old Motorola Razr V3C, KRZR K1M and even up to Pearl 8130 did not have issues which multiple numbers under one category (Home 1/Home 1---Work 1/Work 2 etc...)
    Last edited by qphone; 06-03-10 at 04:25 PM.
    06-03-10 04:22 PM
    What OS version is this with?

06-03-10 05:56 PM
    What OS version is this with?

Telus BB Storm 2 9550 OS 5.0.0.320

This problem with two numbers under one category (work 1, work 2, home 1, home 2 etc...) was also evident with my BB Storm 1 9530.

I believe this is an issue with nuance. The thing is...as per my above post, my contacts have pretty much been the same since my Razr V3C, Krzr K1M using dual numbers under one category which never gave me any problems right up to my Pearl 8130. When I went BB Storm 1 OS 4.7...I started to notice because when I say "Call Michael Work 1" is goes to it then just hangs. To get out, you just back space.

Now, I just place the numbers in a category where there are no others numbers such as "Pager" or "Other". Now it works but in reality...I'm really side stepping the issue. This really should not be the case for a $600 phone!

Anyone else able to replicate this issue on their current BB Storm 1 or Storm 2?
    Last edited by qphone; 06-03-10 at 08:13 PM.
    06-03-10 08:02 PM
    First off, call Telus to complain and say that you've heard that an OS upgrade should resolve the problem. Ask them when they're going to upgrade. They won't be able to give you an actual response, but at least they can become aware of the problem. Then upgrade to a different OS version from a different carrier. I think Bell has upgraded to a newer version and I know Verizon has OS version .607. The version from Verizon doesn't play too nice with the keyboard in the BlackBerry Messenger Groups, but if you don't use the Groups function or are willing to use the work around (ask if needed), then it's much better.

You can get more info on how to perform the installs in the BlackBerry Storm 2 boards.
    06-03-10 08:13 PM
    First off, call Telus to complain and say that you've heard that an OS upgrade should resolve the problem. Ask them when they're going to upgrade. They won't be able to give you an actual response, but at least they can become aware of the problem. Then upgrade to a different OS version from a different carrier. I think Bell has upgraded to a newer version and I know Verizon has OS version .607. The version from Verizon doesn't play too nice with the keyboard in the BlackBerry Messenger Groups, but if you don't use the Groups function or are willing to use the work around (ask if needed), then it's much better.

You can get more info on how to perform the installs in the BlackBerry Storm 2 boards.
    Thanks for the advice I did already call Telus Technical Support and they have similar incidents on file. So basically I'm SOL because they can't do anything because they aren't RIM. I was told (I'm in I.T. so I know the routine) that RIM is aware of the problem and will be releasing an upgrade/update soon. We all know what "Soon" means.

I try not to install unofficial updates (non-telus) because I've had issues with the past using Telus Navigator Voice Directed/3D Maps GPS. Since I have unlimited data (the original $15 promo that launched the pearl) and an ongoing bill credit, Telus Nav is basically free and works perfectly in the U.S. and Canada.

When I was trying to update OS 4.7 to OS 5.0 on my first Storm (Storm 1) I came across some issues so now, I just stick with official releases. So for now...with regards to my multiple numbers under one category voice dialing issue, I will just place each one in its own category.
    Last edited by qphone; 06-03-10 at 08:25 PM.
    06-03-10 08:22 PM
    Fair enough. RIM has actually resolved the problem and they've given OS upgrades to Telus, but unfortunately Telus takes forever before approving any upgrade. I love how the tech put the blame for the wait on RIM though. Guess he/she doesn't really know how the upgrade process works.

Basically Telus is so slow to upgrade anything but we'll see. Maybe they'll actually accept an upgrade sooner rather than later.
    06-03-10 08:54 PM
119 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD