1. low return voice when verifying. High failure rate when identifying contact.
    even after training.. for what it is worth .. can not be trained with bluetooth
    Problems are not bluetooth dependent.
    Hangs and fails to actually dial the call after confirmation on occasion .
    2. Always exhibits low return voice.. Will hit the correct contact sometimes
    3 I believe it is in all modes though I use bluetooth Plantronics 600 series
    4.. I had no trouble whatsoever with 4.7..
    It is the interaction between the new VAD software and the contacts in my opinion that is causing the problem

5.0 OS
    This is my problems to a letter. I have the plantronics 510 and it worked great until the update.. You might look at any changes done on the VAD software.
    11-20-09 09:51 AM
    This is my problems to a letter. I have the plantronics 510 and it worked great until the update.. You might look at any changes done on the VAD software.
    Half of a work around --> What I do is start out with the voice dialing and then quickly look at the screen.. While the response may be wrong or too soft to hear,
    the right name is often listed among the ones suggested. You can then click the screen on the right contact. It will "usually " dial out from there.
    Not a great answer but it works somewhat well on one sylable contacts.
    numbers and 2 names.. not so much
    11-20-09 10:14 AM
    I have a 640 Plantronics (I think Explorer )which is an approved headset per Blackberry. It works better than my Blue Ant (now, the Blue Ant used to work great) but still not great. If I initiate the voice dialing from the headset it freezes every time 100%. If I initiate it from a side button it works most of the time. The recognition has dropped by at least 50% and more if I don't speak slowly and enunciate each syllable. For the first time yesterday during a conversation it went all white screen and rebooted (not a voice dial problem) but a sign the phone might be degrading. I thought I had one of the good phones because I haven't experienced hardly any of the complaints on this forum but I can say for sure that voice dialing (which is very important to me) is working much worse after the upgrade to .328. I don't have any 3rd party apps on the phone and is clean since my upgrade.

My guess is Nuance wasn't involved in the upgrade and the VAD was corrupted somewhere along the line.
    11-20-09 02:25 PM
    Does not recognize names or numbers using BT (Moto H710) 98% of the time. Using the handset (Defeats purpose regarding State Laws) seems to work better. Intermittently will not complete dialing and hangs program. Does not always recognize the "Yes or No" command. Voice training does not seem to improve any of the issues.

Volume is lower than previous version of Nuance. Voice is sometimes garbled.

Hope this helps your plight.
    11-20-09 02:46 PM
    I have been working with Rim about this problem and they have recreated the problem with their Storm. I spent many hrs with them which amounted to there solution to downgrade to 4.7 OS. The last time I contacted them I told them it was unexceptable and they got out a bluetooth and a storm and heard what I was talking about. I have 2 storms one for me and one for my wife, it seems that not all bluetooths are having the problem. The one I have is called BlueAnt and it works great on 4.7 but unreadable on 5.0.
    When you voice dial to "call John Smith, Home", the reply you get is "call (full Volume) John Smith, Moble ( to low to understand in a vehicle)."
    Lets hope the Rim gets to work on this as it is a Safety Issue.
    11-20-09 03:20 PM
    1. Low volume.
    2. No beeps (when ready to listen or confirm)
    3. Hangs up when activated (occasionally)

Other than that, my success rate is very high.
    Go into Options>Voice Dialing>Audio Prompts>Detailed Prompts. This will give you the beeps.
    11-20-09 06:00 PM
    Is anyone on here having problems using BlackBerry bluetooth devices? Seems like nearly all people are using Plantronics and BlueAnt devices.
    11-20-09 08:21 PM
    Is anyone on here having problems using BlackBerry bluetooth devices? Seems like nearly all people are using Plantronics and BlueAnt devices.
    Yes, I am using the Blackberry VM605 bluetooth speakerphone and experiencing all these problems.
    11-21-09 10:11 AM
    1. low garbled voice prompt - always
    2. spotty voice recognition
    3. intermittently does not complete call 2x -3x
    4. occurs with Jawbone II
    5. no info if occurs with speakerphone
    11-21-09 12:52 PM
    Yes, I am using the Blackberry VM605 bluetooth speakerphone and experiencing all these problems.
    Thanks!
    11-21-09 01:32 PM
    It appears that all of the problems have been noted in numerous postings. Low volume, rarely interprets correctly (usually not even close), doesn't dial when interpreted correctly, no problems with previous OS. Obviously it's the 5.0 OS. Blackberry needs to fix this. A new phone is not the answer.
    11-24-09 10:55 AM
    I use (used to use) VAD on both a BT car head unit (paired) and on the phone (unpaired) by itself. VAD in the car uses the car's mic but everything else is on the phone. Neither can recognize my voice commands at all and I did the voice correction option. The phone book suggestions that are presented by the VAD are always wrong with one exception...my "ICE" contact.

Something else...
    I also have Garmin software installed. It works great but I did notice that sometimes the voice prompts change pitch or sound "different/noisy" while giving voice prompts. This is to an extent that my kids have asked what's wrong with it. FYI. I had the Garmin set to give voice commands thru the phone's speaker.
    11-24-09 01:04 PM
    I've about given up on it with .328. I trained it but it still doesn't recognize all my commands. Response voice is very quiet. When it finally does get the name I want to call correct then it says "calling so-and-so" and just sits there, it never dials out. Same result with handset, BT jawbone or BT stereo headset. Very embarrassing RIM.
    11-24-09 06:00 PM
    Yep, I have been having all these problems mentioned and have had them for several days. This (Storm 9530) was my first Blackberry experience and it will most likely be the last Blackberry I buy. I bought it a year ago tomorrow, Nov. 25th., have upgraded the OS at every opportunity with both official and unofficial versions. I have finally concluded what others told me within weeks after launch - It is a piece of garbage. I know many of you have had good experiences with Blackberry/RIM but I don't see this company being around in 3-5 years. Quality control is foreign concept to these folks and that just doesn't cut it in this day and age. All operating systems have their limitations, but the world is passing by RIM. What's next? I dunno. I am tied to Verizon for another year. Maybe I'll go get an Android tomorrow. But wait, the keys on that are almost as bad as the screen keys on the 9530 and now I am starting to text more (thanks to my sons' preferred method of communication). What to do...What to do?
    11-24-09 07:56 PM
    I had vad isuues with the new os till i tried the .351 hybrid works perfect now give it a try it might work for you too.
    11-24-09 10:23 PM
    True. VAD seems to be working better on .351
    11-25-09 10:57 AM
    Hi all,

For those of you having problems with voice dialing on OS 5.0.0.238, can you please respond to this thread with the following information:

1. Scope of the problem - are you having issues with low/garbled volume from the voice prompts (no impact on call quality), or are you having issues with calls not completing after the voice prompt confirmation (and it works fine the second time you try).

2. Are you seeing these problems all the time when using voice dialing, or is it just sometimes?

3. Are you seeing the problems with or without using a bluetooth headset/speakerphone? If it's always just when using a bluetooth headset or speakerphone, please list the make and model of the headset/speakerphone.

I will be passing along all of the information I get here and hopefully RIM will be able to resolve the issues with the next OS update.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

EDIT: Just to add, I do not work for RIM in any way shape or form. But I do have someone looking into this issue and the more info I can pass on, the sooner they'll hopefully be able to track down the source of the problem. There are no guarantees that there will be a quick fix for this. At least with this info though, we can hope that the problem will be resolved once and for all in the next update.
    I had minimal problems with 4.7 and voice dialing. I would say it was 90-95% accurate and even if it missed it 1 out of the 3 contacts would be correct. I am on a Storm 1 with 5.0.328 now and we are looking at 10% accuracy (it hardly EVER gets it right and most times the name is NOT in 1 out of the 3 contacts).

1) Low volume on voice prompts. Name never recognized. The 10% of the time it is recognized dialing works fine as far as I can tell.
    2) Consitently fails to recognize the contact.
    3) I have only tried this with bluetooth. I have a Motorola H715.
    11-25-09 01:53 PM
    I use a Jawbone (Prime) Bluetooth and have yet to make a call using voice dialing. Voice dialing does not recognize the name no matter how slow/fast I speak and I have made multiple attempts each time...hoping.
    I have had issues with calls that are "calling" and hang right there until I close the program.
    I also, have notice that the name confirmation is a low tone that is difficult to hear.

Voice Dialing has always worked well and I have been pleased with it's function. I didn't have these issues before downloading .328.

Thank you for helping to get these issues to RIM and I hope the fix is available soon.
    11-25-09 02:21 PM
    I had minimal problems with 4.7 and voice dialing. I would say it was 90-95% accurate and even if it missed it 1 out of the 3 contacts would be correct. I am on a Storm 1 with 5.0.328 now and we are looking at 10% accuracy (it hardly EVER gets it right and most times the name is NOT in 1 out of the 3 contacts).

1) Low volume on voice prompts. Name never recognized. The 10% of the time it is recognized dialing works fine as far as I can tell.
    2) Consitently fails to recognize the contact.
    3) I have only tried this with bluetooth. I have a Motorola H715.
    Same here
    stopped using vad 'cause not usable....far too buggy
    11-25-09 03:24 PM
    I use a motorola H700 headset. 4.7 worked fine. 5.0.230 beta worked fine, except it cut off the voice prompts a bit. With 328, when I say call "home", it confirms, and when I say "Yes", nothing happens. If I click it on the screen, the call goes through. AFAIK, call quality/volume has been fine.
    11-25-09 04:02 PM
    Why can't I read the replys

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-09 04:16 PM
    Hi all,
    I have noticed since the upgrade the inability of the program to recognize most requests. It
    IFor those of you having problems with voice dialing on OS 5.0.0.238, can you please respond to this thread with the following information:

1. Scope of the problem - are you having issues with low/garbled volume from the voice prompts (no impact on call quality), or are you having issues with calls not completing after the voice prompt confirmation (and it works fine the second time you try).

2. Are you seeing these problems all the time when using voice dialing, or is it just sometimes?

3. Are you seeing the problems with or without using a bluetooth headset/speakerphone? If it's always just when using a bluetooth headset or speakerphone, please list the make and model of the headset/speakerphone.

I will be passing along all of the information I get here and hopefully RIM will be able to resolve the issues with the next OS update.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

EDIT: Just to add, I do not work for RIM in any way shape or form. But I do have someone looking into this issue and the more info I can pass on, the sooner they'll hopefully be able to track down the source of the problem. There are no guarantees that there will be a quick fix for this. At least with this info though, we can hope that the problem will be resolved once and for all in the next update.

11-25-09 10:02 PM
    I had the same problems where VAD would not work like it used to but then I figured out how to make it not suck...

Dial <1 sec pause> First Name <1 sec pause> Last Name <1 sec pause> Mobile

Now it works every time.
    11-29-09 08:19 PM
    Hi guys, I'm back from my trip and will be following up on this now. Unfortunately I ran out of time and was unable to submit the info before, but it looks like this worked in our favor as we now have a lot more info to report. I'm putting together the summary now and passing it on.

Thanks for all your comments!
    11-30-09 05:02 PM
    1. low return voice when verifying. High failure rate when identifying contact.
    even after training.. for what it is worth .. can not be trained with bluetooth
    Problems are not bluetooth dependent.
    Hangs and fails to actually dial the call after confirmation on occasion .
    2. Always exhibits low return voice.. Will hit the correct contact sometimes
    3 I believe it is in all modes though I use bluetooth Plantronics 600 series
    4.. I had no trouble whatsoever with 4.7..
    It is the interaction between the new VAD software and the contacts in my opinion that is causing the problem

5.0 OS
    Same problem I am having but I am using the Moto H780. Definetly unusable at this time. I really like being able to just tap a button on my earpeice without pulling out the phone to dial.
    12-06-09 04:34 PM
119 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD